Have you heard of these sayings ?

Any one mentioned the one they used if you couldn't finish your dinner ?

"Ah, thi eyes were bigger than thi belly"....

Whenever, as a teenager, I was acting contrary to my father's wishes, he would tell me "tha wants to bloody frame". Is this a Sheffield expression? I have never heard anyone else use it save for once, in the film Billy Liar when Wilfrid Pickles said it to his son Tom Courtney.

Mike

Not sure uf this is a sheffield one, but my dad used to say "tha wants to know far end of a fart an weer it comes from"

Any one mentioned the one they used if you couldn't finish your dinner ?

"Ah, thi eyes were bigger than thi belly"....

And if you did manage to finish the food, you could "Eat two taters more'n a pig!"

Hey Plain Talker, Here's my understanding of 'Gansey'. They were the fisherman's garments that were originally done in Guernsey. And 'Jerseys' were the fisherman's garments done in.........? Yeah, you got it.

'Bloody frame', I'd like to know the origin of that expression.

My dad always used the phrase 'tha not framin', to mean, 'your not doing it properly' like in not holding a hammer right, if you were knocking a nail in. *** The other phrase 'livin oer brush', if anybody remembers the TV mini series 'Roots' by Alex Hailey, the term 'jumpin' the broom' was used by black slaves in America's deep south in some kind of common law marriage ceremony, so who knows where or when that saying originated?

Hey Plain Talker, Here's my understanding of 'Gansey'. They were the fisherman's garments that were originally done in Guernsey. And 'Jerseys' were the fisherman's garments done in.........? Yeah, you got it.

'Bloody frame', I'd like to know the origin of that expression.

Yes, gansey is a "corruption" of Guernsey,

Ganseys are certainly fishermen' sweaters. Did you know, each fishing village had its own pattern (design) for the gansey. It was for a sad reason. If the fisherman were drowned, when the body was washed up, the person could be identified as to which village they were from. Their remains could then be repatriated and buried.

As tha ever got summut arse uppeds and been told that Barmy ..

Edited by grinder

Another one of my late father's. He used to tell me, tougue in cheek, that as a boy, he knew a Rev. R. Suppards.

Mike

Where the heck did "paying through the nose" if you had to pay over the odds come from ?

Edited by grinder

As tha ever got summut arse uppeds and been told that Barmy ..

I'm definitely barmy, being blonde... ;):):D

and yes I often do things Ar$e upp'ards (Or ar$e about face, if we need to be technical :) )

Bow legged people, couldn't stop a pig in an entry, embarrassed folk, went as red as a beet root and if you had a large nose you'd got a big conk.

Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob, three make one and six and four two bob.

If your Bob dunt gi our Bob that bob that your Bob owes our Bob, our Bob'll gi your Bob a bob on nooers