Have you heard of these sayings ?

"Git thi balaclava on afoor tha guz aht, it's cold enough to freeze thi bloody tabs off. An' don't ferget to put booard int oyl be'ind thi, tha nooas thi mam's nesh."

"Wor 'appens if thiv not gorr any drippin' left?"

When we used to ask for food we hadn't got my mother used to say its three runs round table and a knock at the pantry door:hihi::hihi:

I was brought up in North Yorkshire (farming area), so brought up with many of these sayings (but not lump!). We were always 'nithered' (nesh). The first time I heard nesh, it was in Lancashire! Weird huh?!

We also had "by 'eck, it's fair mafting in 'ere" (its rather hot). Anyone else use mafting?

We also use various animal related comments: gormless fuzzock (donkey), mucky 'oggit (sheep)...

Did you know that 'siling' (from siling down/raining) comes from the Norweigian verb for rain? Those blooming vikings!!

Does anyone use 'bairn'? (Used further north). Its actually old (saxon) english for child. Amazing that it has lasted so long!

Other Sheffield words I'd not heard 'til I moved here were booits & coyts (boots & coats).

Other phrases you might have heard/used:

Shut yer fizzog! (face, short for physiognomy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bit posh for Yorkshire!)

Giower yocking! (Can't remember if it was coughing or retching/vomiting!).

Pohsh (posh. Not sure how to write it, but a long o like owes).

Or were these just in North Yorkshire?!

Did anyone get these ripostes when mithering pater?

Me: Dad, I've nowt to do.

Dad: Guh to t' end o't' street and see'f I'm theyre.

Me: Dad, what yer doin'?

Dad: Keepin't sun out o' me eyes.

Edited by Jim Hardie

And worrabart - doan thee an thar me, thee and thar thissen an see ar thar likes it.

Goin' round't lump.

I wonder if any of you lot ever met my dad? He used to tek our dog

a walk round't lump, every neet?

That paticular walk was usually up Whixley road, along Shirland Lane, then

back down either Wilstrop, Bilton or Flaxby Road, when we lived at Darnall.

The dog generally got the chance to have a sniff round etc. on the open space between Whixley Road and Bridport Road, or on Balfour tip.

By gum! That were a few years back.:cool::)

Hi Billy boy. Will tha stop rewerin' wer one of my dad's sayin's. One of my mothers sayin's (usually after giving me a clout) was, shurrup, or do ya want some moor. Stupid question really. Up the dee dahs, and proud to be one.

Al gi di a reight clout round earoil if da dunt geore showin me up.

nah shurrup an get di cooat on...:cry:

Edited by grinder

Have you ever gone home "clarted up to eye balls" in sludge, or as black as coil...:hihi:

Edited by grinder

Have you ever gone home "clarted up to eye balls" in sludge, or as black as coil...:hihi:

yep been like that afew times as a kid another one my mother would say if we were pestering her was if yu dont stop mitherin mi yul get nowt and another one was stop runnin abowt like a scoppadidle

oh, yes, I've been "slottened" in mud many a time as a kid.

Can any of you older posters remember this.."goin for a walk round lump"...i said it the other day and my grandson said "what"!!!!!...:)

Is it just a Sheffield saying?

It may be. We used to say it in Sheffield when I lived there (I was born there) but I've never heard it in the thirty years since I lived 'dahn sarf, mate!'

My old mam used to say 'just go for a walk 'round t' lump while I go in this shop'...