Have you heard of these sayings ?

I remembered a couple of really old fashioned sayings the other day, both relating to individuals who are not really up to speed. The first was 'He's a reight piecan he is,' presumably 'a right nutter', the 'piecan' bit coming from 'Pecan', the nut.

The other one was to be called a 'Duck Egg', meaning stupid. Anybody old enough to remember these?

i still say gooin round tblock! and grinders what we call a duck egg if he thinks that i tell my kids im gooin to seya man abaht a dog, refers to a visit to the lavvy !! when its just an answer to a request of where tha gooin? and how long are tha gunna be? abaht as long as a bit o string!!

I was about 4 and went down the road hell for leather on my trike but failed to negotiate the corner and went crashing into the lamp post on the corner. My little friend who lived at the bottom came running out, told me he would take care of me, got on my bike and continued round the lump with me running behind! :huh:

.......and what about, "where have you been"? the answer of course, there and back to see how far it is! sorry going off topic there.

Grinder America is one country and Canada another, but we're both part of North America, okay?:thumbsup:

By America I take it you mean the USA, But America is the continent you are all Americans just as the French and the Germans ect are all Europeans

i still say gooin round tblock! and grinders what we call a duck egg if he thinks that i tell my kids im gooin to seya man abaht a dog, refers to a visit to the lavvy !! when its just an answer to a request of where tha gooin? and how long are tha gunna be? abaht as long as a bit o string!!

I may well be a Duck egg but your still wrong spanner, were tha gooin, is theer and back ageean, and you got around the block from American films...

Unless it's a block of flats ?

Edited by grinder

Geography is not my best subject, but the United States of America is a country, Canada is a Country on it's own (they don't rule us) but we are in the North American Continent.:)

Joto. love you babe and of course your right.....:thumbsup:

We always called it the lump. I lived on Audrey Road, went up Chadwick, across Lowburn and down Lathkill so back on the Audrey and called it a walk round the lump !

Exactly devlin! I lived on Milnrow Rd, me and my friend (on the look out for boys):hihi: would walk from there, up Milnrow Drive, across part of Wordsworth Ave, down Margetson (I think that's the St) and back onto Milnrow :thumbsup:

Good, its not just me thats old fashioned then...(my grandsons words)..lol

Does anyone know why the word "lump" was used though

Maybe "lump" was used while they thought of the proper word? :D

I lived on a Crescent and we always used to call walking round it "going round the lump" when you walked a full circuit. If you didnt complete the whole circiut this was just walking up the road

used to live up foxhill,very often went for a ride round lump on my bike,early forties,great times then.