Have you heard of these sayings ?

My grandfather who was born in 1900 used to say it to all the grandchildren just to get us out of the house, "Goo an' 'ev a walk round t'lump". We'd all go off out to play then when we were bored we would go back in and say that we'd been a walk round t'lump so granddad would say, "Goo an' ev a walk round t'other rooad then".

I believe that all areas of Sheffield had an area which could be called "a lump", I believe it was a Sheffield expression meaning any area that could be walked around.

It's a bit like " 3 runs round t' table and a kick at cellar dooar".

While we're on Grandads sayings,mine used to use the word "frame" as in "For Gods sake lad,frame" if you were doing something and not making a very good job of it. Or,"Tha should have seen how he framed"

Used to take our Grandma's dog for 'a walk round 't lump' - (the area of houses that had been built in a square shape) in the fifties and sixties - don't hear that phrase nowadays!

Edited by egbutnobacon

Always used it when we were young down Grimesthorpe, walking round t'lump meant we take a rectangular walk - to the end our road, down the side street, along the bottom road, up the opposite side street and back down our road. The lump being a block of terraced houses - some might call it nostalgia as it doesn't seem to be used much nowadays.

I suppose an American 'block' and a Sheffield 'lump' are a similar thing? People called any roads that formed the area round their house, 'the lump'. I remember being surprised when I found out that everybody seemed to have their own 'lump' :D

Sheffield is built on severn hills(as is Rome)hence the word lump,

as the housing estate spread allover the hillsides,

the term going to walk around t'lump means to walk up and down the hills on which your estate was built and then came to mean going for a walk t'round area in which you live.

In my dads case down t'pub and back on sundays before his sunday dinner.

Funny how the dog allways got home an hour before he did,

he used to say he's got four legs I've only two so he can walk twice as fast.

Sheffield is built on severn hills(as is Rome)hence the word lump,

as the housing estate spread allover the hillsides,

the term going to walk around t'lump means to walk up and down the hills on which your estate was built and then came to mean going for a walk t'round area in which you live.

In my dads case down t'pub and back on sundays before his sunday dinner.

Funny how the dog allways got home an hour before he did,

he used to say he's got four legs I've only two so he can walk twice as fast.

I didn't live on an estate and as I remember it my lumps were pretty flat. I think the word lump goes back further than housing estates.

My Dad said it to me today and I used it for the first time in ages the other day- it even surprised me when I said it.:hihi:

You'd subconsciously absorbed the vibes from this thread, Rivelin6. I keep finding myself saying the old phrases without even realising it. It's only when either a smile of recognition or a look (gone out) of total incomprehension spreads over a face, that I realise what I've said! :D

You'd subconsciously absorbed the vibes from this thread, Rivelin6. I keep finding myself saying the old phrases without even realising it. It's only when either a smile of recognition or a look (gone out) of total incomprehension spreads over a face, that I realise what I've said! :D

Looks like I did.:hihi:

I still use it, and I've not lived in Sheffield since the 1970's.

Apparently the one word that gives us away to Southerners is the word Chuff.