Have you heard of these sayings ?

We used to go for a walk round lump as well and if we dint behave we'd get us blocks knocked together......:hihi:

Maybe from the days when there was big lumps of slag every where take quite a walk around???

Had many a walk or run round t'lump. It was a triangle in Grimesthorpe bordered by Rothay, Skelwith and Birdwell Roads. Must have used the term most days as a kid but had forgotten it until I read this post.

Maybe from the days when there was big lumps of slag every where take quite a walk around???

Yes could be...i think i may "Google" it, see if i come up with anything...:)

When I was a kid living in Attercliffe I used to ride my bike round the little lump which was just Stevenson Road, Oakes Green, Attercliffe Road and back to Stevenson Road, or round the big lump which took me further afield - Stevenson Road, Brightside Lane, Princess Street, Attercliffe Road and back to Stevenson Road.

Can any of you older posters remember this.."goin for a walk round lump"...i said it the other day and my grandson said "what"!!!!!...:)

Is it just a Sheffield saying?

Used to be quite a common expression in the 60s, least it was in Park Distrct.

My granpa used to say he'd walked around the lump from the pub to home, that was two or three streets away. I think it was a trick of speech used to show you'd not gone a direct route between two points, you'd took a diversion, gone the long way round?

Had many a walk or run round t'lump. It was a triangle in Grimesthorpe bordered by Rothay, Skelwith and Birdwell Roads. Must have used the term most days as a kid but had forgotten it until I read this post.

No that was a barb wire fence to keep u evil lot in:hihi::hihi::hihi:

When playing out we were sometimes told not to go further than round the lump. Or we were told to take the dog out,"Just take her round the lump"

we used it, i am 41.

taking t'dog for a walk round t'lump

I always thought it was "Pitsmoor" speak, never realised it was so widespread.

Off Southey and always called it round lump,lets have a run round lump.