Bike shipping box

I need to box up a bike for shipping, anyone know if anywhere in Sheffield sells them? I know I can get them from ebay, but they fold them which reduces the strength of the box.

I need to box up a bike for shipping, anyone know if anywhere in Sheffield sells them? I know I can get them from ebay, but they fold them which reduces the strength of the box.

Have you tried any of the decent bike shops (or even Halfords)?

Most of their new bikes arrive boxed. I'm sure they just recycle the cardboard so they may give you one if you ask nicely.

Bike box Alan, in Rotherham, manufactured them last I heard :)

Bike box Alan, in Rotherham, manufactured them last I heard :)

As above. Great way to take a bike on a plane, used them many times without any bike damage but they are for taking bikes on trips rather than sending one somewhere.

I'm thinking though this is to send a bike by freight? If so, depending on the quality of the bike I would want something more than a cardboard box.

A Brompton would fit in a Peli case model 1640. It’s absolutely bomb proof.

Evans, James or Halfords.

Just ask.

You can also re-inforce the box side to side to avoid any risk of damage.

The problem with 'plastic bke cases' is the weight.

10 kg minimum and easily 14 kg.

Consider the airline weight allowance [20 kg, 24 kg, 30 kg at best] and you imediately are approaching the weight maximum.

Add a foot pump, cycling kit, any tools, spares, toiletries etc etc and you'll be over the baggage allowance.

That's why a DIY approach using a lightweight cardboard bike box is the best idea.

Also, it's free.

Just ask.

You can also re-inforce the box side to side to avoid any risk of damage.

The problem with 'plastic bke cases' is the weight.

10 kg minimum and easily 14 kg.

Consider the airline weight allowance [20 kg, 24 kg, 30 kg at best] and you imediately are approaching the weight maximum.

Add a foot pump, cycling kit, any tools, spares, toiletries etc etc and you'll be over the baggage allowance.

That's why a DIY approach using a lightweight cardboard bike box is the best idea.

Also, it's free.

Except you just pay for it as sports equipment in a plastic bike box so the weight is a minor concern. 80 quid on easy jet for example. If you've several grand for your road bike, putting it through an airport baggage system in a cardboard will do it no favours.

What are you going to reinforce the sides with to prevent crushing, or snapping something off?