B&B not giving me a receipt ??

Hi after staying in a B&B in the UK and after paying the bill on the last day they did not give me a receipt, all though I have ask them and I even send them an email requesting one back in June where they replied that one was been sent out.

I am still waiting for it, so I sent them another email this morning and looks like they have ignored my request.

I would like to know if any one can tell me.

1/ Can they refuse my request.

and

2/ Any one I can contact about this. as is seems a bit dodgy.

Edited by HandyBob

They have no obligation to give you a reciept unless you are both VAT registered entities.

They have no obligation to give you a reciept unless you are both VAT registered entities.

Often can be used as a receipt, if it shows payment having been made, but what UK law actually requires between vat registered entities, is an "invoice".

Sounds dodgey to me as well. I wonder, did you pay cash, or credit or debit card which would show ?

You don't have to be VAT registered to request a receipt. You could be using the receipt to claim back expenses from an employer. They should be giving you one if you request one.

Often can be used as a receipt, if it shows payment having been made, but what UK law actually requires between vat registered entities, is an "invoice".

I was using it in the view point of demonstrating that monies have exchange hands but you are of course correct VATman speak is of course a sequentially numbered invoice.

Might be a daft question, but why do you require a receipt?

You know you stayed there, and if you paid by card you have a record of it that way.

You don't have to be VAT registered to request a receipt. You could be using the receipt to claim back expenses from an employer. They should be giving you one if you request one.

They should yes as a courtsey but there isn't anything that you can use to require them to provide one if it wasnt specified in the contract.

I think the local tax office will be interested

Threaten to leave a bad review on trip advisor if they don't give you a receipt. That should work.

Carphone Warehouse at Buxton have stopped giving receipts.I don't know if all branches of this company are doing the same.

Carphone Warehouse at Buxton have stopped giving receipts.I don't know if all branches of this company are doing the same.

I think a lot of companies have gone paperless. The garage I use send receipts via email. I have noticed many shops now ask if you want a receipt before printing one.