Fake goods, bargain or scam?

What's wrong with buying fake luxury goods?

There is little evidence that profits fund organised criminal gangs - although admits there is a problem with sellers of fake goods not paying taxes.

People want cheap goods, is anyone being harmed if China produces fake clothing at a 50% discount?

Why should the big brands get rich at the expense of the consumer?

I guess trade in these goods will always occur, inside or outside of the EU. EU rules do force up standards, will we get more fake and unsafe goods with free trade?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36782724

There's quality control and dangerous substance issues with some items.

Notably perfume, where it's just slung together in some grotty lab - no care for the end users, as long as it smells right.

Sling any old chemicals in there, as long as it's cheap right??

Same go's for creams, makeup, teeth whitening products, nutritional supplements.

Again there's a safety aspect to consider with fake electronics.

What's wrong with buying fake luxury goods?
What’s wrong with your moral compass?

Luxury goods are researched, designed, specc’d to very high standards, manufactured to exacting tolerances, very heavily promoted and advertised. All of that costs money. An armload of it. And creates jobs, mostly along the whole supply chain (from the research bit through to salespeople at counters).

Fakers just piggyback on all that at least possible cost, cutting all corners going, shipping stuff in bulk on pallets to well-dodgy importers. To say nothing of the H&S issues raised by geared.

You wouldn’t be asking the question if you’d created a good (never mind a luxury one) yourself, only to see it knocked off for less than a fraction of what blood, sweat and tears it cost you to bring it to market.

The problem with fake goods are the people who buy and wear them.

That £1500 Prada handbag the woman is sporting at my local? Obviously fake, so what's the point? She's impressing nobody.

Who are you impressing with a genuine £1500 handbag tho????

I get the feeling if that was to impress someone they'd be equally impressed with a fake.

The problem with fake goods are the people who buy and wear them.

That £1500 Prada handbag the woman is sporting at my local? Obviously fake, so what's the point? She's impressing nobody.

Once went to Marmaris (Turkey). walked past a handbag shop with the wife.. the guy who owned it approached us, and told us he was selling his stock off because he was moving to Istanbul , he offered us a Prada handbag for £600, I said no thanks, he then said how about £300, once again no thanks.. come on he said I"ve got to get shut, give us 100..nope, 80 70 40 30, not interested, and started to walk away, he shouted after us.. give us a fiver then, still did"nt buy... that's an absolutely true story..

went back on holiday 3yrs later, he was still there.:hihi:

Once went to Marmaris (Turkey). walked past a handbag shop with the wife.. the guy who owned it approached us, and told us he was selling his stock off because he was moving to Istanbul , he offered us a Prada handbag for £600, I said no thanks, he then said how about £300, once again no thanks.. come on he said I"ve got to get shut, give us 100..nope, 80 70 40 30, not interested, and started to walk away, he shouted after us.. give us a fiver then, still did"nt buy... that's an absolutely true story..

What, with the same bag?

The only thing I've ever knowingly bought knowing it to be a fake was a fake Rolex which I bought there a few years ago for a fiver, it kept perfect time for years.

But I wouldn't dream of buying anything that rubs in to the skin or needs to be plugged in.

Would the shop have been called the genuine fake shop by any chance ,seen that in marmaris myself

Would the shop have been called the genuine fake shop by any chance ,seen that in marmaris myself

Actually Rudds, I did buy quite a lot of gear, Camel shorts, Hugo Boss, Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klien, Levi"s, ETC. funnily enough it was very good, still wearing it now, after about 15yrs.. mind you I am a bit of a tramp.

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 19:19 ----------

I did see the genuine fake shop, come to think of it. made me smile.

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 19:27 ----------

What, with the same bag?

The only thing I've ever knowingly bought knowing it to be a fake was a fake Rolex which I bought there a few years ago for a fiver, it kept perfect time for years.

But I wouldn't dream of buying anything that rubs in to the skin or needs to be plugged in.

Don"t know Gomgeg, I was busy trying to palm the wife off with a Turkish waiter.