Charge for renting a room in Walkley

Hello, I live in Walkley, and have a friend staying with us. She has applied to the DSS for rent help - shes been with us about 2 months, we have not charged her at present due to her circumstances.

We need an idea of how much rent (inclusive of all bills) to charge her.

She has a nice room, access to the whole house, wifi etc and shares some food with us.

Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

Thanks, it is unlikely to be a whole year.. mabye 6 months until she gets herself sorted out.

I have a friend who lives rents a room with me, they get the same as your offering but i charge £80 a week but the housing benefit pay about £7-8 less per week but you can charge up to £94 i think

I have a friend who lives rents a room with me, they get the same as your offering but i charge £80 a week but the housing benefit pay about £7-8 less per week but you can charge up to £94 i think

Yes thats very fair £80 a week you cant expect housing benefit to cover cost of meals youre a good friend :hihi:

Thanks very much!! That gives a good starting point ???

We need an idea of how much rent (inclusive of all bills) to charge her.

I don't think this is about sums or accepted norms, really. I think it's about whether you want your friend to get back on their feet, and out from under yours, as quickly as possible... or whether you're happy for a longer-term arrangement.

If the former, then maybe something modest so you're not losing-out.

If the latter, then maybe something more market-rate to reflect the nature of the agreement (and, even though it's a friend, I'd always recommend trying to document something - although that might feel distasteful).

Thanks Hippo, we are very happy with her staying here, but electricity and gas bills etc don’t pay themselves, so she’s going to claim some money towards rent as part of her benefits.

I think we have an idea of how much we can ask for and how much we will ask for now ?

I had a school worker stay at my house a few months back, I charged £10 per night, I thought that was very cheap. It was nice to have someone else in the house.

Thanks Cid :) hubby lives at home with me but having our friend stay has been

nice - even if some of the time she’s been in floods of tears.. but she’s been

through an extremely tough time in her life.. which is why she’s staying with us

in the first place xxx