Are the people of Sheffield getting fatter?

Food and unhealthy drinks are shoved in everyone's faces all day long. You can hardly go into a bookshop nowadays without there being a cafe selling 400 calorie creamachinos 'and why not add a slice of cake?' :roll:

Waiting for mealtimes to eat and just putting up with being hungry until then seems to be a thing of the past.

But that's the thing - it isn't and that is where the education is needed.

ok lets add it up.

Iceland 4 cheese pizza: https://groceries.iceland.co.uk/iceland-four-cheese-thin-pizza-322g/p/50758

£1

margherita pizza: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4683/pizza-margherita-in-4-easy-steps

mozzarella - £0.80

300g bread flour: £1.80 for 1.5kg therefore: 34p

100 g passatta: 500g = 0.40 => 8p

1 sachet yeast: 8 for 85p => 10p

ok thats more than £1 already. Even if you used cheap cheese and a tin of tomatoes, it won't be as little as £1. Mass produced cheap food is cheaper than cooking it for yourself. Its obviously far worse for your health and so poor people end up eating more crap food because that is what they can afford.

Edited by TimmyR

Food and unhealthy drinks are shoved in everyone's faces all day long. You can hardly go into a bookshop nowadays without there being a cafe selling 400 calorie creamachinos 'and why not add a slice of cake?' :roll:

Waiting for mealtimes to eat and just putting up with being hungry until then seems to be a thing of the past.

its all about choices?/ would you jump into a river because a billboard said it was wet or warm? i see food/drink ads all day long as i go about my business but i dont eat or drink constantly , why do the blame culture idiots always pass the buck!?

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 12:37 ----------

exactly. Its not just that as well. marketing works (why else would people drink coke?) and the big food companies are allowed to advertise their totally unhealthy foods like they are healthy (coco pops fortified with xyz, load of rubbish). When will we realise that the sort of marketing these companies are allowed to put out is morally wrong.

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 12:22 ----------

It doesn't just take thought and effort. Crap food is cheaper and that was my point. If you are poor it is cheaper to buy crap food and so you are stuck with eating high sugar and fat foods. There is also a lack of education and if you are not educated then it would be easy to believe all the marketing and eat the wrong foods. They need to ban all marketing of unhealthy foods (like they did with tobacco) and change the rules considerably regarding food packaging.

Crap food is not cheaper, give me a budget for a meal for 4 people based on someone buying a plastic iceland meal etc for 4 and i guarantee mine will be cheaper,filling more nutritious and healthy???

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 12:38 ----------

ok lets add it up.

Iceland 4 cheese pizza: https://groceries.iceland.co.uk/iceland-four-cheese-thin-pizza-322g/p/50758

£1

margherita pizza: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4683/pizza-margherita-in-4-easy-steps

mozzarella - £0.80

300g bread flour: £1.80 for 1.5kg therefore: 34p

100 g passatta: 500g = 0.40 => 8p

1 sachet yeast: 8 for 85p => 10p

ok thats more than £1 already. Even if you used cheap cheese and a tin of tomatoes, it won't be as little as £1. Mass produced cheap food is cheaper than cooking it for yourself. Its obviously far worse for your health and so poor people end up eating more crap food because that is what they can afford.

the home made one is still not healthy:huh:

its all about choices?/ would you jump into a river because a billboard said it was wet or warm? i see food/drink ads all day long as i go about my business but i dont eat or drink constantly , why do the blame culture idiots always pass the buck!?

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 12:37 ----------

Crap food is not cheaper, give me a budget for a meal for 4 people based on someone buying a plastic iceland meal etc for 4 and i guarantee mine will be cheaper,filling more nutritious and healthy???

because it works subconsciously. It does work, extremely well, why else would they spend millions of pounds on marketing? Perhaps some are immune but i doubt it really. It has been proven over and over that marketing influences the decisions people make.

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 12:41 ----------

the home made one is still not healthy:huh:

Well I disagree, perhaps if you eat it every day its not but its relatively low in salt if you don't put much cheese on and otherwise has tomatoes and some bread in it. Whats unhealthy about that? maybe you aren't as well informed as you like to think. The bought one is very high in salt and saturated fat and the tomato base and bread will be poor quality. Its not really the point though, the point is that it is cheaper to buy mass produced crap food.

Lets try another one:

Iceland lasagne: https://groceries.iceland.co.uk/iceland-meal-for-one-beef-lasagne-500g/p/50820

£1 - for 1 so £4 to feed a family of four

budget lasagne:

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/lasagne_40419

250g beef mince: 500g £4 - £1.80

1.3 pints milk - about 50p

lasagne 50p

2 tins of tomatoes 70p

butter 40p

£3.90 already and a number of ingredients still to go...

It just isn't true, cooking from scratch is NOT cheaper that buying mass produced crap from iceland. That is one reason why poor people eat mass produced crap from iceland and get fat.

Edited by TimmyR

In answer to the original question, I'm not getting fatter so the answer is no, people of Sheffield are not getting fatter.

The whole nation is getting fatter. I personally find the sight of all that puckered flesh and rolls of fat really quite repulsive.

The most depressing thing for me is fat children. Not only is it not a good look, but you know they're being set up for a lifetime of weight problems.

When I was at school we had one fat girl in our year, out of about 90 kids, now they're ten a penny

Because looking at the numbers of huge people constantly slurping these things and shovelling food in their face on the go, I think a lot of people can't/won't control themselves.

It just isn't true, cooking from scratch is NOT cheaper that buying mass produced crap from iceland. That is one reason why poor people eat mass produced crap from iceland and get fat.

No its not, that is just a failed excuse. When you see some of the people who go and buy cheap food and then get a taxi home then you know its not about being poor.

People are getting fatter everywhere. That's a fact.

Junk food is cheap and readily available - which is a huge part of the problem.

The other is the constant loss of things like playing fields and open areas to housing schemes, fuelled by the massively expanded population increase in recent years (thanks for that one EU....).

I'm sure most people on here know of a school or community centre that has sold of it's land so crap houses can be built on it. That's a major part of the problem. If kids have got nowhere to exercise, play and run around in, they turn into teenagers and adults who simply aren't used to being physically active.

There's also an element of 'couldn't care less' from people too. You do have to watch what you eat, especially as you get older, and it's your responsibility alone to make sure you're doing that. If everyone around is getting fat, likelihood is that you don't care if you are too.

[/color]

Well I disagree, perhaps if you eat it every day its not but its relatively low in salt if you don't put much cheese on and otherwise has tomatoes and some bread in it. Whats unhealthy about that? maybe you aren't as well informed as you like to think. The bought one is very high in salt and saturated fat and the tomato base and bread will be poor quality. Its not really the point though, the point is that it is cheaper to buy mass produced crap food.

Lets try another one:

Iceland lasagne: https://groceries.iceland.co.uk/iceland-meal-for-one-beef-lasagne-500g/p/50820

£1 - for 1 so £4 to feed a family of four

budget lasagne:

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/lasagne_40419

250g beef mince: 500g £4 - £1.80

1.3 pints milk - about 50p

lasagne 50p

2 tins of tomatoes 70p

butter 40p

£3.90 already and a number of ingredients still to go...

pizza is mainly carbs and again lasagna is not a good example of a healthy meal it just like Pizza full of carbs and calories, milk, pasta, butter, cheese, fat, flour etc nice every so often maybe with some greens veg or salad.

i guarantee you i can make a lasagna thats feeds more than four for the same price as a bought in one for 4 and it will also be healthier bulked out with a mirepoix of carrots,celery,onions.....oh by the way i trained as a chef many years ago and still cook, so i am probably better informed than you!

If you want fat people, go to Costco. You can get them in bulk!

Why do fat ladies wear leggings make them look even fatter

Like the fat women with no teeth on the Jeremy Kyle show drawing attention to them with piercings round their mouth and in their tongues, because they're thick.