Games consoles, tearing families apart?

Is this related to the Fortnite violence?

Fortnite-obsessed boy, 9, plays game for 6 hours a DAY and smashed TV when he lost match

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fortnite-obsessed-boy-9-plays-12858868

Today's parents remind me of this:

Fortnite is just the latest target for this type of thing. Go back a few years it was GTA 5, few years before that it was Call of Duty.

I remember one woman that kicked off at how violent it was and that her 12yr old was affected by it because he played it. A smart journolist asked her who bought the game for him considering he was underage (Cert 18). She replied that she'd bought it as he wanted it.

For me those complaining about the effects of gaming on their young kids are merely suffering the consequences of bad parenting.

All modern consoles have parental controls which can be set to limit both usage times and rated games.

Another argument I've seen it that "but when they come of the console they go straight on their phone"

Well, guess what, most broadband routers have parental controls too. They also ALL have an off-switch.

For me those complaining about the effects of gaming on their young kids are merely suffering the consequences of bad parenting.

Well, guess what, most broadband routers have parental controls too. They also ALL have an off-switch.

Its achieves nothing to just say it's down to poor parenting.

Can we make them better parents by helping them?

In 2016/17, 1 in 5 children in Year 6 and 1 in 10 children in Reception were classified as obese.

I know what you are saying, bad parents again, are 20% parents doing poorly when it comes to their childrens health all bad parents?

So we have issues with obesity and games/phones, I would say that two are linked, along with other factors.

What action can be taken, some schools do ban mobile phones, maybe we need to wake up to that?

I know people that read, and they don't seem to be addicted, whereas games and screens do seem so.

As a regular user of forums, I am online a lot, but as came to online use as an adult, I do moderate my use. Children that have grown up with games/internet will find it much harder.

My sister reads every spare minute she has. She can read several novels a week and some books she has read multiple times.

Me and my son love gaming but neither of us play for anything like the time she reads.

If it was gaming, people would say that she's addicted, but it's a book, so she's cultured? What's the difference between Harry Potter and Zelda?

My sister reads every spare minute she has. She can read several novels a week and some books she has read multiple times.

Me and my son love gaming but neither of us play for anything like the time she reads.

If it was gaming, people would say that she's addicted, but it's a book, so she's cultured? What's the difference between Harry Potter and Zelda?

I would like to be a person with imagination, books do help to create this, unlike games which can be violent.

I would like to be a person with imagination, books do help to create this, unlike games which can be violent.

If you like violence, try reading Lord of the Files, or A Clockwork Orange!

Or, if you prefer some hard core drugs, Anything by Hunter S Thompson?!

You're right though, that Mario is a right evil little swine!

Plenty. A Harry Potter novel doesn't frustrate you into smashing up your telly if you die, can't get past a certain section or are being trolled by a fellow gamer.

Plenty. A Harry Potter novel doesn't frustrate you into smashing up your telly if you die, can't get past a certain section or are being trolled by a fellow gamer.

What was Mark Chapman say was a motive? Catcher In The Rye?

---------- Post added 01-08-2018 at 09:37 ----------

I've never smashed my telly up when I get stuck on a game. How would I play all my other games?