Internet goes off when phone rings

my internet goes off when answering the phone. I have a filter in the main phone the other phones are just connected by the electric plugs.

Not sure how many phones you have or how the extension for them has been configured but normally you will need a filter on each one. Try unplugging all except the main phone and see if it still happens when you answer a call. Got loads of filters spare if you need extra.

if just one phone and the router, change the filter....

if more than one, make sure that each phone has it's own filter, a swell as one for the broadband...

Unless you have one of those combined face-plates where your router plugs directly into it, then Swarf's advise above about the test socket is accurate, but you will need a DSL filter to use that also...

I have a filter on the main phone but there is no socket on the extra phones as they run off the electric so I don't see how I can put filters on them. I will have a fiddle tomorrow and let you know what happens. I don't think my faceplate is one that you plug the router in.

I have a filter on the main phone but there is no socket on the extra phones as they run off the electric so I don't see how I can put filters on them. I will have a fiddle tomorrow and let you know what happens. I don't think my faceplate is one that you plug the router in.

If the other phones are just plugged into the mains, then they are just extra handsets that talk to the main base, so you effectively only have one actual connection....

If that's the case, and it's just the main phone and router, plugged into the socket via a Filter, then you likely need a new Filter...

Just to point out that smary had said right from the off that there is only one phone - the others are on the mains as they will be a 'DECT' trio assembly. ;)

Just to point out that smary had said right from the off that there is only one phone - the others are on the mains as they will be a 'DECT' trio assembly. ;)

But I have learned through time, to cover all bases, even if they said they have already done it or said something one way, people forget/don't realise etc, so always best to cover it all... :)

Sorry smary, I missed out the "electric" bit on the plugs in your post, so as Ghozer said.

But.. are you connected to the internet by WI-FI? If you are and you have DECT phones (cordless) you may find that changing the frequency on the handsets, if possible, may cure the problem. It could be that the frequency that it is set to is affecting the connection on WI-FI.

Have a google on the make of phone and see if it is possible.

I can't find any info on how to change the frequency. My filters are very old so will try and get a couple of new ones asap.

Did you check the test socket method to rule out any issues with you line into the house? ;)

Yes mine does that sometimes as well