Air/car pollution in sheffield, worst ever?

Maybe if the road system around Sheffield wasn't geared to making motorists stop at every opportunity, the air would be less polluted.

2 hours ago, Crosser said:

Maybe if the road system around Sheffield wasn't geared to making motorists stop at every opportunity, the air would be less polluted.

So how does it differ from other major UK cities - apart from motorists achieving a higher average speed than in most of them.

https://www.aph.com/community/holidays/commute-getting-slower-average-speeds-uks-major-cities-revealed-2017/

Edited by Longcol

This map has been created by collating the data from the air sampling tubes across the city.

https://tinyurl.com/ya2y2not

they measure NO2 rather than particulate but worth a look.

More sampling tubes going out soon 

12 hours ago, WalkleyIan said:

they measure NO2 rather than particulate but worth a look.

Yes it's worth remembering that the vast majority of NOx emissions are from Diesel vehicles, but there are a wide range of sources for particulate emissions.

Diesel cars from 2009ish onwards should be running a particulate filter, this vastly reduces their emissions and makes them much less of a contributor to general levels (in theory)

Very bad news!! These are very unhealthy levels.  And why that evening and time?  Idling engines perhaps? I see SCC have erected " no idling engines" notices outside schools.  These need to be city wide and properly enforced. 

On 7/29/2018 at 8:58 PM, jdamarine said:

Hope it's nothing to do with all the trees they are chopping down, Oh no could be a car pollution tax soon

There already is, It's called Vehicle Excise Duty or "Road Tax"

On 7/29/2018 at 9:55 PM, Janus said:

I heard Tinsley area is the worst part of Sheffield for pollution. Apparently due to the M1, especially at times when the M1 traffic is passing though the area slowly.

You mean during the hours of 6-11am and 3-7pm when they artificially slow traffic down to 40/50mph on gantries citing "Air quality management" or similar. 

The irony being that a lot of cars pollute LESS at 70mph than they do at 50mph. In my car 50mph means I have to use 5th gear @ around 2100rpm and I'm throwing fuel away. Get to 60mph and I can switch up to 6th, dropping my RPM to 1200, 70mph is around 1500-1600rpm and far more fuel efficient. 

Less RPM, less fuel, less emissions. 

1 hour ago, How Ark said:

I see SCC have erected " no idling engines" notices outside schools.  These need to be city wide and properly enforced. 

These are not easy to enforce. The enforcement officer has to approach the driver and ask them to turn the engine off. Only if they don't can a ticket be issued.

Widespread use of anti-idling zones under current legislation would be rather  impractical and very expensive to enforce.

People need to think about the unnecessary car journeys they are making. 23pc of car journeys are under a mile and 70pc under 5 miles. Imagine how much healthier and less congested we'd all be if they were done through walking and cycling

Edited by viewsonic

4 hours ago, viewsonic said:

People need to think about the unnecessary car journeys they are making. 23pc of car journeys are under a mile and 70pc under 5 miles. Imagine how much healthier and less congested we'd all be if they were done through walking and cycling

^^This.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

^^This.

I went less than a mile to the supermarket earlier.  Just because a journey is short doesn't mean that it's practical to do on a bike or on foot.

6 hours ago, Planner1 said:

These are not easy to enforce. The enforcement officer has to approach the driver and ask them to turn the engine off. Only if they don't can a ticket be issued.

Widespread use of anti-idling zones under current legislation would be rather  impractical and very expensive to enforce.

I wish those in authority would go to Shooters grove school.

Always 3 or 4 above the school in no-parking areas with engines running AND using phones, another offence(?)

They restrict the view of the warden.

The no idling engines signs are tiny and on the other side, and I suspect not seen.

13 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I went less than a mile to the supermarket earlier.  Just because a journey is short doesn't mean that it's practical to do on a bike or on foot.

home delivery?