Air/car pollution in sheffield, worst ever?

If it were for that then surely it would only apply to high sided vehicles? And indeed it could be switched on and off depending on the wind conditions!

---------- Post added 30-07-2018 at 18:15 ----------

A friend of mine goes to visit relatives in South Asia for a few months every year and looks great on his return. Within a few months of being here again he looks ill. I would defo say there is a pollution problem in Sheffield. I like to get out into Derbyshire at least every few weeks for a blast of fresh air.

Perhaps it's the holiday rather than anything to do with pollution. :rolleyes:

Thought the 60 limit, from j28 to j35, normally imposed during rush hour Monday - Friday 16:00 - 18:00 (don't know about morning) and also includes Bank Holidays. Nothing to do with wind conditions, automatically set to control pollution.

Guest busdriver1
really? source?

in the mean time, from DEFRA https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/air-pollution/causes

Particulates : road transport

Nitrogen oxides : road transport, followed by electricity generation

Ozone : conversion from NOX (see above)

Sulphur dioxide : power generation

polycyclic hydrocarbons : domestic coal and wood burning

carbon monoxide : road transport

Since by implication you are saying i am a liar, read this. FULLY

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/blog/2010/sep/09/carbon-emissions-planes-shipping

Since by implication you are saying i am a liar, read this. FULLY

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/blog/2010/sep/09/carbon-emissions-planes-shipping

I think you've missed the point though.

Whilst the polluting effects of air travel are high, they're not localised and clearly not having an effect in Sheffield that is greater than the very localised effects of car pollution.

I think you've missed the point though.

Whilst the polluting effects of air travel are high, they're not localised and clearly not having an effect in Sheffield that is greater than the very localised effects of car pollution.

The same can be said for the ocean shipping industry.

A massive contributor to global pollution, but since it's rarely detected on a local scale few people care about it.

It seems people either care about pollution on a local or a global level, rarely both.

Guest busdriver1

A massive contributor to global pollution, but since it's rarely detected on a local scale few people care about it.

It seems people either care about pollution on a local or a global level, rarely both.

Strangely, the article seems to suggest that shipping is not the major issue it has been made out to be.

The article does however state that Air traffic via vapour trails is the one that needs the most urgent attention.

Those in power in Sheffield don't care , So not much will get done about it

This thread is very specifically about local pollution though isn't it.

I'd have thought so...

Is pollution from air travel a problem? Yes.

What can sheff council do about it? Nothing at all.

Is localised pollution from road traffic a problem? Yes.

What can SCC do about it? Loads.

Strangely, the article seems to suggest that shipping is not the major issue it has been made out to be.

The article does however state that Air traffic via vapour trails is the one that needs the most urgent attention.

Yet you'll read another article and the story would be the total opposite :huh::huh:

This thread is very specifically about local pollution though isn't it.

True we don't get many ships though, but then don't some of the proposed solutions for local pollution just end up shifting the problem to elsewhere?

Is pollution from air travel a problem? Yes.

What can sheff council do about it?

Close down our airport :)