Air/car pollution in sheffield, worst ever?

It's been very dry recently so there will be a big increase in the amount of dust in the air.

Can't say I've ever "tasted" diesel fumes wondering around the city though, only ever at the train station when they leave a big loco idling.

Guest busdriver1

Are you 100% certain it is car / traffic pollution? Whilst there are no large airports with busy schedules nearby we are on the flightpath to a few and aircraft pollution is a far greater problem than car / traffic pollution.

aircraft pollution is a far greater problem than car / traffic pollution.

really? source?

in the mean time, from DEFRA https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/air-pollution/causes

Particulates : road transport

Nitrogen oxides : road transport, followed by electricity generation

Ozone : conversion from NOX (see above)

Sulphur dioxide : power generation

polycyclic hydrocarbons : domestic coal and wood burning

carbon monoxide : road transport

We'll all be dead in a few years and our family tree won't be around in many many years so does it really matter?

I heard Tinsley area is the worst part of Sheffield for pollution. Apparently due to the M1, especially at times when the M1 traffic is passing though the area slowly.

Sure I read a piece in The Star a few years back that actually stated Glossop Rd / Broomhill was the worst due to all the slow moving traffic. The area around the M1 at Tinsley, despite the volume of traffic is fairly open.

The statistics are often mis-represented by whoever is presenting the story to you (no surprise there)

There's also a few different sources providing the raw data, again there's variance between those.

---------- Post added 30-07-2018 at 16:19 ----------

For example the BBC reported some earlier in the year, with a facility to check pollution levels at you post code.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42566393

They pulled data from here https://www.blueskymapshop.com the results (NOx only) showed alot of our city to have relatively low levels of NOx pollution.

Since alot of NOx pollution is from transport it follows that particulate levels should follow suit (if the data is correct).

Edited by geared

We'll all be dead in a few years and our family tree won't be around in many many years so does it really matter?

Does your fatalism somehow stop you suffering discomfort today?

Pollution, you should have been around before the clean air act when everyone had coal fires and with all the steel production. The air certainly had a smell to it then. The winter fogs used to be real pea-soupers where you couldn't see your hand in front of your face and with a decided yellow colour. I know of quite a few in there 80's and 90's lived through much worst pollution than the statistics attempt to tell us now.

You can prove anything you like with statistics. In fact both sides of the same argument with the same figures, it is just how you present them.

Sure I read a piece in The Star a few years back that actually stated Glossop Rd / Broomhill was the worst due to all the slow moving traffic. The area around the M1 at Tinsley, despite the volume of traffic is fairly open.

And yet it's well established that the pollution is consistently higher than the legal maximum around Tinsley, the M1 has a 60 limit imposed to reduce pollution...

A friend of mine goes to visit relatives in South Asia for a few months every year and looks great on his return. Within a few months of being here again he looks ill. I would defo say there is a pollution problem in Sheffield. I like to get out into Derbyshire at least every few weeks for a blast of fresh air.

Pollution, you should have been around before the clean air act when everyone had coal fires and with all the steel production. The air certainly had a smell to it then. The winter fogs used to be real pea-soupers where you couldn't see your hand in front of your face and with a decided yellow colour.

I can remember it being like this in the 50s and 60s.We're heading back that way again thanks to the ever increasing use of wood burners.In the winter it smells like bonfire night every night on our estate.

the M1 has a 60 limit imposed to reduce pollution...

Is that what it's for?

I thought it was due to wind speeds and high-sided vehicles.

A friend of mine goes to visit relatives in South Asia for a few months every year and looks great on his return.

because they don't have air pollution over there????

Big cities in SE Asia have some of the worse polluted air in the world.