Air/car pollution in sheffield, worst ever?

9 hours ago, euclid said:

Its surprising how many i see nip down to the paper shop  5-6 hundred yards away from their home in the car

I wonder why it is fuel consumption figures seem to be always based on speeds of 56 mph ?? I gather from your figures you have a diesel car, a petrol one should easily cruise along at 50 MPH ...and less..in top gear,but,each to their own.😉😉..but i do understand what you mean and how annoying it can be changing gears all the time,(especially in 4x4's)  one reason nearly all my cars have been auto's,personally i think a diesel engine is better suited to an auto than manual even if it means less mpg ,but lots and lots will dis-agree....Just to add and not at all relevant..My Honda Goldwing 1500cc/six cylinder...will potter along in top gear at just over tick-over around 900-1,000 rpm at 10-15mph without a murmur and pull away very quickly to 60 mph without any trouble at all...... 😉

I once witnessed a woman leave the local parish hall, where she had just attending some form of WeightWatchers/Slimming World type meeting, walk across the road and straight into a chippy, emerging a few mins later with 2 carrier bags of food then got in her car, at this point she drove no more than 8-9 houses, pulled into a driveway and went in the house.

Yes, my car is diesel, the amount of miles I do means that a petrol simply isn't economical for me. Previously I've hit high 60s in terms of MPG and that was with a full load. 

As for the 56mph thing I'm not sure. I suppose if I weren't loaded down with weight I could change up to 6th that little bit earlier meaning 56mph would be just attainable, however I'd probably be on the verge of stalling.

Makes me question why we have a 50mph for "air quality control" when just 6mph higher would be best all round if 56mph is this magical number. It certainly must be because the only time I see HGVs adhere to it is if the traffic in front of them is doing so and they cannot overtake.....

We used to live in Sheffield and our son was developing asthma. We left when he was 4 to live in a rural location and his cough has disappeared.  The air is noticeably more clear out in the country. Sitting traffic is very bad for air pollution in cities like Sheffield, London, Manchester etc. I spent the first 30 years of my life in Sheffield and never really noticed it until we left. 

13 hours ago, OneSon said:

We used to live in Sheffield and our son was developing asthma. We left when he was 4 to live in a rural location and his cough has disappeared.  The air is noticeably more clear out in the country. Sitting traffic is very bad for air pollution in cities like Sheffield, London, Manchester etc. I spent the first 30 years of my life in Sheffield and never really noticed it until we left. 

That does not surprise me, cities are very air polluting.

I moved from a bigger city to a smaller one like Sheffield, at the time that move made me feel like Sheffield was countryside.

On 12/31/2018 at 10:12 PM, Resident said:

Makes me question why we have a 50mph for "air quality control" when just 6mph higher would be best all round if 56mph is this magical number....

It's possibly got something to do with managing traffic flow.

in terms of cars-per-hour, motorways are better at 50 rather than 60 or 70 (or etc...)

(also better reliability: fewer crashes, brake-waves / traffic-shocks / whatever)

if that sounds counterintuitive, remember that humans are in control of these cars. And most humans are idiots. Higher speed limits and high traffic flows are essentially incompatible.

Edited by ads36

Average 50 limits in roadworks do flow quite well, but you are forcing people to actually pay attention to what they're doing for once.

Most of the time people get on the motorway and completely switch off their brains, you only have to look at the number of people who mindlessly hog the middle lane to see that.

8 minutes ago, ads36 said:

It's possibly got something to do with managing traffic flow.

in terms of cars-per-hour, motorways are better at 50 rather than 60 or 70 (or etc...)

(also better reliability: fewer crashes, brake-waves / traffic-shocks / whatever)

if that sounds counterintuitive, remember that humans are in control of these cars. And most humans are idiots. Higher speed limits and high traffic flows are essentially incompatible.

Motorways flow better WHEN busy at 50mph.  When not so busy, a higher speed is better for every individual journey (but not for pollution).

the consultation about clean air zone in city centre has started these days. what do you guys think about this proposal and has anything started changing?

12 minutes ago, jem said:

the consultation about clean air zone in city centre has started these days. what do you guys think about this proposal and has anything started changing?

Talking and consulting doesn't make the air cleaner.

Thinking about proposals only affects dreams, it doesn't change reality.

Would I consult when crossing the road when a truck is on the way?

If I think about someone proposing to have some fun. The only change is in the head, nothing really happened yet.

Edited by dutch

1 hour ago, jem said:

the consultation about clean air zone in city centre has started these days. 

Is this a public consultation?  Do you have a link?

2 hours ago, geared said:

https://sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/news/rapid-charge-points/ this is what government said to encourage taxi drivers using low-emission cars

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-46196519 this is the proposal that they want to fine high-pollution vehicles

3 hours ago, dutch said:

Talking and consulting doesn't make the air cleaner.

Thinking about proposals only affects dreams, it doesn't change reality.

Would I consult when crossing the road when a truck is on the way?

If I think about someone proposing to have some fun. The only change is in the head, nothing really happened yet.

cuz city council said they decided to spend £500,000 to deliver 20 rapid charge points for ultra-low emission taxi in and around city centre so based on this decision i was wondering does anything started to change ?

2 hours ago, geared said:

https://sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/news/rapid-charge-points/ this is what government said to encourage taxi drivers using low-emission cars

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-46196519 this is the proposal that they want to fine high-pollution vehicles

Yes I remember the proposal and the council have selected a CAZ C+ method similar to Leeds.

I'm not sure the public consultation is live yet though.