Air/car pollution in sheffield, worst ever?

3 minutes ago, dutch said:

home delivery?

That uses a diesel vehicle, and it's not a free service.

21 hours ago, Planner1 said:

These are not easy to enforce. The enforcement officer has to approach the driver and ask them to turn the engine off. Only if they don't can a ticket be issued.

Widespread use of anti-idling zones under current legislation would be rather  impractical and very expensive to enforce.

Rephrasing the above from a  more positive and hopeful perspective. 

They would be very easy to enforce. Where a notice is present any member of the public can approach the vehicle and ask the driver to turn of the engine. One would think/hope most drivers would comply. If the driver doesn't  then the number plate is noted and passed on to SCC and SYP. City Centre Ambassadors, PCSOs, Traffic Wardens, School Crossing Wardens, Police,  etc could enforce and follow up public complaints.
Widespread use of anti-idling notices would be a very practical way of reducing pollution from exhaust emissions and save money on reduced fuel costs, and possibly bring in a new revenue  stream from enforcement tickets. 

16 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I went less than a mile to the supermarket earlier.  Just because a journey is short doesn't mean that it's practical to do on a bike or on foot.

True.

But just because one of journeys isn't, doesn't mean that all your journeys aren't. You knew that already though, which is why you post regularly about cycling to work.

Others will use a car regardless,  and they are the ones who need to be persuaded otherwise.

5 hours ago, How Ark said:

Rephrasing the above from a  more positive and hopeful perspective. 

They would be very easy to enforce. Where a notice is present any member of the public can approach the vehicle and ask the driver to turn of the engine. One would think/hope most drivers would comply. If the driver doesn't  then the number plate is noted and passed on to SCC and SYP. City Centre Ambassadors, PCSOs, Traffic Wardens, School Crossing Wardens, Police,  etc could enforce and follow up public complaints.
Widespread use of anti-idling notices would be a very practical way of reducing pollution from exhaust emissions and save money on reduced fuel costs, and possibly bring in a new revenue  stream from enforcement tickets. 

Unfortunately it doesn’t work like that.

The person who asks the driver to switch the engine off has to be the enforcing officer.

Evidence from elsewhere suggests that very few penalties are issued, so it is not going to be a significant income stream. It’s therefore likely to be carried out occasionally by authorised council officers while going about their normal duties. 

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:06 PM, Cyclone said:

I went less than a mile to the supermarket earlier.  Just because a journey is short doesn't mean that it's practical to do on a bike or on foot. 

Did you go to Tesco Express, the only 'supermarket' within a mile of "Wadlsey"? There's the corner shop on Prescott that might be closer, if you just need bread, milk etc.  Or have you moved elsewhere now?

6 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Unfortunately it doesn’t work like that.

The person who asks the driver to switch the engine off has to be the enforcing officer.

Evidence from elsewhere suggests that very few penalties are issued, so it is not going to be a significant income stream. It’s therefore likely to be carried out occasionally by authorised council officers while going about their normal duties. 

At my other half's school, they do a name and shame of cars that regularly park on the zig-zag, block the school entrance, and leave their engines on. Its had some, admittedly limited, success with their own parents, The problem is the parents from the school up the road (Sheffield High) couldn't give a monkey's. Fine me if you want, I can afford it. Thankfully they've only run down one child so far, and that was just minor injuries.

ASDA

56 minutes ago, Crissie said:

Did you go to Tesco Express, the only 'supermarket' within a mile of "Wadlsey"? There's the corner shop on Prescott that might be closer, if you just need bread, milk etc.  Or have you moved elsewhere now?

Or the other only supermarket within a mile of Wadsley, Asda on Catchbar lane.

If it's the weeks shop, a car is very useful over the bus or bike. Milk or bread through the week is probably better on foot or on the bike. 

9 hours ago, Crissie said:

You're wrong, it's entirely possible to be within a mile of the Sainsbury's and still be in Wadsley, it just so happens that I'm not.  Anywhere from The Horse and Jockey on Wadsley Lane or lower is <1 mile to the supermarket I went to.

I actually went 1.4 miles to Sainsbury's and was only estimating the distance.

8 hours ago, shepcanon said:

ASDA

Or the other only supermarket within a mile of Wadsley, Asda on Catchbar lane.

Wow, everyone's an expert on the distance to the supermarket, and everyone is wrong.

For reference it's 1 mile exactly from what was previously "Wadsley House" and is now Wadsley House Social Club, to Sainsburys.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/53.4113252,-1.5115006/Sainsbury's,+Clay+Wheels+Lane,+Sheffield/@53.4124671,-1.5089674,17.04z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x487978e7107cf917:0x4907f334792df93!2m2!1d-1.5015468!2d53.4173488!3e0

54 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Wow, everyone's an expert .........

Now that made me laugh coming from you 👍😂

11 hours ago, BrexitGuy said:

If it's the weeks shop, a car is very useful over the bus or bike. Milk or bread through the week is probably better on foot or on the bike. 

Yes,we do our weeks shop to the Supermarket in the car..(Hybrid)..Anything else  needed i/we will walk to the co-op in the next village....about 2 miles away  ...and walk it back home over the fields.The same with the doctors/chemists etc in the village also...i do it for the exercise , fresh air  and also because i enjoy it

On 7/30/2018 at 4:50 PM, Phili Buster said:

Pollution, you should have been around before the clean air act when everyone had coal fires and with all the steel production. The air certainly had a smell to it then. The winter fogs used to be real pea-soupers where you couldn't see your hand in front of your face and with a decided yellow colour. I know of quite a few in there 80's and 90's lived through much worst pollution than the statistics attempt to tell us now.

You can prove anything you like with statistics. In fact both sides of the same argument with the same figures, it is just how you present them.

Thats exactly right,I can recall looking over towards Sheff on a clear day from where i live in the 70s/80s and there would be an orange fog hung over the city,now it's a grey fog hung over the M1 from exhausts.I also recall coming home from work in the winter and all the headlights did was reflect off the thick fog,it was only the "cats eyes" ........which now seem to have been removed on lots of roads...which kept you in lane,and if you came to a stretch of road without any then it was walking pace in the car. Any old trucker will tell you about trips to the "Smoke" and driving thro' the "Smog"The other thing in that era was how you could only wear a shirt once because the collar would be black from the dirt in the air if you went out.As for statistics the powers that be can make up anything they want and the public cannot dispute them

On 12/29/2018 at 9:06 PM, Cyclone said:

Its surprising how many i see nip down to the paper shop  5-6 hundred yards away from their home in the car

On 12/29/2018 at 2:36 PM, Resident said:

The irony being that a lot of cars pollute LESS at 70mph than they do at 50mph. In my car 50mph means I have to use 5th gear @ around 2100rpm and I'm throwing fuel away. Get to 60mph and I can switch up to 6th, dropping my RPM to 1200, 70mph is around 1500-1600rpm and far more fuel efficient. 

Less RPM, less fuel, less emissions. 

I wonder why it is fuel consumption figures seem to be always based on speeds of 56 mph ?? I gather from your figures you have a diesel car, a petrol one should easily cruise along at 50 MPH ...and less..in top gear,but,each to their own.😉😉..but i do understand what you mean and how annoying it can be changing gears all the time,(especially in 4x4's)  one reason nearly all my cars have been auto's,personally i think a diesel engine is better suited to an auto than manual even if it means less mpg ,but lots and lots will dis-agree....Just to add and not at all relevant..My Honda Goldwing 1500cc/six cylinder...will potter along in top gear at just over tick-over around 900-1,000 rpm at 10-15mph without a murmur and pull away very quickly to 60 mph without any trouble at all...... 😉

Edited by euclid

Our car pollutes less at 0 MPH