Air/car pollution in sheffield, worst ever?

I would say it is, i have had issues since I came to Sheffield as a student, having immune system problems, I would react next day, etc, but now I am finding i can't stay in the city, the Moor, Pinstone St, even up in Hillsborough, etc, for more than thirty minutes, last week I could taste the pollution, especially diesel, my face was burning, and i was getting chest pains. There is also pollen and other allergens, he fact it is a huge building site(otherwise maybe a good thing) probably isn't helping, remains of acid rain, etc. I am aware SCC have a clean air strategy, but the heatwave has made it impossible for those like myself, and others with asthma, lung problems, etc to go to town, thats a shame as it is buzzing atm..

Edited by gamezone07

Where did you come from originally?

I can't say that I've noticed the pollution being that bad myself, and I'm in town 5 days a week for work.

Sheffield is already known as one of the worst cities for air pollution, have a look from say near the Norfolk Arms, Ringinglow Road, it is visible on many days.

I've never experienced chest pains or a burning face due to pollution, perhaps you're especially sensitive?

Sheffield isn't in the top 20 most polluted places in the UK according to this;

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/revealed-uks-worst-area-for-pollution-and-its-not-london-a3828791.html

Oh it is. Sort of.

We're joint eighth worst.

But since the London-based (biased?) Evening Standard does not recognise the existence of Sheffield, you'd have to read further to know this.

From the article:

Manchester and Swansea were on 13, and cities including Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Plymouth, Sheffield and York recorded 12 - one point above the capital.

And you can find out what Sheffield city council are doing about it here:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/pollution-nuisance/air-quality.html

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/public-health/pollution.html

Hope it's nothing to do with all the trees they are chopping down, Oh no could be a car pollution tax soon

I heard Tinsley area is the worst part of Sheffield for pollution. Apparently due to the M1, especially at times when the M1 traffic is passing though the area slowly.

Oh it is. Sort of.

We're joint eighth worst.

But since the London-based (biased?) Evening Standard does not recognise the existence of Sheffield, you'd have to read further to know this.

From the article:

Manchester and Swansea were on 13, and cities including Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Plymouth, Sheffield and York recorded 12 - one point above the capital.

No - they've just rounded up / down to the nearest whole number.

No - they've just rounded up / down to the nearest whole number.

I see. Is that because your typical cockney only understands integers ?

And you can find out what Sheffield city council are doing about it here:

they typed out a vague, placatory, single page of text, and saved it to pdf?

could be a car pollution tax soon

don't be daft, that might actually work...

Quote gamezone07: I would say it is, i have had issues since I came to Sheffield as a student, having immune system problems, I would react next day, etc, but now I am finding i can't stay in the city, the Moor, Pinstone St, even up in Hillsborough, etc, for more than thirty minutes, last week I could taste the pollution, especially diesel, my face was burning, and i was getting chest pains. There is also pollen and other allergens, he fact it is a huge building site(otherwise maybe a good thing) probably isn't helping, remains of acid rain, etc. I am aware SCC have a clean air strategy, but the heatwave has made it impossible for those like myself, and others with asthma, lung problems, etc to go to town, thats a shame as it is buzzing atm..

gamezone07 - is your asthma reasonably well controlled? Are you taking your preventer regularly and your bronchodilator as required? Are you seeing your respiratory nurse regularly for an assessment of your asthma? You should see someone at your surgery if your asthma is worsening - this is very important, especially if your peak flow is lower than normal.

As air pollution is clearly a trigger factor for you, maybe it would be better for your long term health if you moved away from the city. It may well get worse with the increasing amount of traffic.