New camera at Dore ?

Has anyone any idea what the new camera is on the corner just next to The Dore Moor Inn ?

Edited by Seepee

I know the one a bit further down Hathersage road, near the junction with Long Line and Cross Lane, has had a bag over it for weeks now. Mind you, I'm not surprised, it was ugly.

Perhaps they've put a camera up near to the Dore Moor Inn to catch out folks who are illegally turning right into Brickhouse Lane?

I know the one a bit further down Hathersage road, near the junction with Long Line and Cross Lane, has had a bag over it for weeks now. Mind you, I'm not surprised, it was ugly.

Perhaps they've put a camera up near to the Dore Moor Inn to catch out folks who are illegally turning right into Brickhouse Lane?

There has been several deaths on that stretch, the memorial to Matt and Adam (with the SWFC colours) is the hardest for me to swallow as they were my son’s mates. A professional racing driver was also killed on it, I drive down it most days and can’t see the problem. :confused:

I don’t think it’s a speed camera,could be a no R turn camera,hope it is,had several close shaves with late hard braking and illegal turners in front of me but I think its more likely to be ANPR,tracking cars into and out of Derbyshire.

could be a no R turn camera,hope it is,

No, it isn't.

They can only be used in London.

Not according to this story:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1579768/Councils-to-use-cameras-to-catch-drivers.html

“Several councils, including Manchester, Brighton and Hove, Nottingham and Sheffield, have already voiced an interest in taking on the new powers.‘

That article is from 2008

Moving traffic enforcement powers were never rolled out to English local authorities outside London, despite consistent requests over many years.

to monitor the activities of local miscreants

Not so much to monitor drive by shootings; more to monitor the drive by tuttings!

That article is from 2008

Moving traffic enforcement powers were never rolled out to English local authorities outside London, despite consistent requests over many years.

So is this fake news :

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/motoring/cars/using/councils-use-cctv-to-issue-penalty-charge-notice

“How many cameras are we talking about?

There are believed to be 768 active CCTV cameras across the UK, whose only role is to monitor, and collect evidence of, motoring offences. Wandsworth Council leads the pack, with 122 CCTV cameras devoted to traffic offence monitoring”

From the horses mouth in 2016:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/your-city-council/ask-for-info/CCTV%20Code%20of%20Practice.pdf

• Assist with the deployment of resources

• To carry out any surveillance under RIPA

• Monitor potential public disorder or other major security situations

• Assist in the detection of crime

• Facilitate the apprehension and prosecution of offenders in relation to crime and public order.

.Assist with the detection of moving traffic offences where it is considered that the public safety is at risk

Edited by Seepee

From the horses mouth in 2016:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/your-city-council/ask-for-info/CCTV%20Code%20of%20Practice.pdf

• Assist with the deployment of resources

• To carry out any surveillance under RIPA

• Monitor potential public disorder or other major security situations

• Assist in the detection of crime

• Facilitate the apprehension and prosecution of offenders in relation to crime and public order.

.Assist with the detection of moving traffic offences where it is considered that the public safety is at risk

You missed out the important bit that precedes that passage of text:

"The Police may request assistance in order to:"

That link is to the code of practice for the Council's public open space surveillance cameras.

Those are not primarily enforcement cameras and they are certainly not used for enforcing banned turns and box junctions.

The only traffic contraventions that the Council can enforce by camera are

• Bus lanes
  • Bus gates
  • School keep clear markings
  • Bus stop clearways

In England, only Councils in London can enforce what are known as moving traffic offences, such as box junctions and banned turns.

---------- Post added 30-07-2018 at 23:59 ----------

So is this fake news :

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/motoring/cars/using/councils-use-cctv-to-issue-penalty-charge-notice

“How many cameras are we talking about?

There are believed to be 768 active CCTV cameras across the UK, whose only role is to monitor, and collect evidence of, motoring offences. Wandsworth Council leads the pack, with 122 CCTV cameras devoted to traffic offence monitoring”

No it isn't fake. Rather sensationalist though.

Sheffield Council enforce bus lanes, bus gates, school keep clear markings and bus stop clear ways with cameras. Many authorities across the country do the same.

As I have said, in England, only Councils in London can enforce box junctions and banned turns by camera.

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 07:32 ----------

Has anyone any idea what the new camera is on the corner just next to The Dore Moor Inn ?

I asked the Council's urban traffic control team, who do have some ANPR cameras out and about. It's not theirs.

Most likely belongs to the Police.

Thanks for clarifying,so SYP can now put ANPR or moving traffic offence cameras up without Council approval or permission or signage ?