Living beyond our means, or just poverty?

Only 5 of my 47 years of working gave me a stable income, I got used to putting some money made when the sun shined away for when it rained, and we all know that rain is never that far away, don’t we? I found that as the years progressed that there were more sunny than rainy days, this led to me to having a decent amount in savings.

I use my credit card for most purchases over £10.00, and have DDM set up to settle my monthly card debt, I find it convenient and like the level of consumer protection that a credit card provides. However buying goods that you don’t need and can’t afford on your credit card is the first step towards disaster, use it, don’t let it use you. :thumbsup:

Are the nurses who depend on foodbanks :suspect: , included in this ?

Proof please.

An Office of National Statistics report showed that the top 10% of earners had a disposable income - after taxes and housing costs - of £78,000 last year. These families spent less than £39,000 of that sum.

By contrast,the poorest 10% of households had a disposable income of just £5,000 but spent £13,000 funded by borrowing and debt.

Saving has fallen to the lowest level since records began in 1963.

Peter Andrew of charity step change said 'The reality is too many households simply cannot make ends meet no matter how hard they try.

Not having enough money to make ends meet is not the same as living beyond your means, which implies you have a choice, when too many people do not.'

A typical household's outgoings were £900 higher than their incomings last year,

Are we living in a fool's paradise? Are we heading for yet another financial crisis? Shouldn't something be done?

Anna the old age pension in this Country is a national disgrace ,unfortunately those in Government are no longer from the working classes and have no idea how the poorer people have to rob Peter to pay Paul.

I do not include the serial scroungers in this inc those in high places.

I can’t imagine why anyone on a nurses wage would need a food bank unless they were in debt or such like.

You can't imagine living in London?

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/nurse-strike-pay-nhs-crisis-why-i-voted-for-industrail-action-a7736896.html

It's like you don't have to imagine though, and that first hand accounts are available should you spend a few seconds looking for them.

Anna the old age pension in this Country is a national disgrace ,unfortunately those in Government are no longer from the working classes and have no idea how the poorer people have to rob Peter to pay Paul.

I do not include the serial scroungers in this inc those in high places.

I agree.

And with work pensions becoming increasingly under threat / unreliable, I wonder where it's going to end.

I would also add to that, by saying the carer's allowance of approx £60 a week for often very difficult care of a loved one 24/7, is nothing short of an insult.

Especially when you think how much the state charges for often inferior care.

I agree.

And with work pensions becoming increasingly under threat / unreliable, I wonder where it's going to end.

I would also add to that, by saying the carer's allowance of approx £60 a week for often very difficult care of a loved one 24/7, is nothing short of an insult.

Especially when you think how much the state charges for often inferior care.

Don't worry, the government strong-armed every employer in the land into offering pension schemes. The gold plated ones might be dwindling but that's about it.

Don't worry, the government strong-armed every employer in the land into offering pension schemes. The gold plated ones might be dwindling but that's about it.

The work pension for low paid workers and those in the growing 'gig economy' is going to be pretty paltry. I fear for how they will manage.

Did we get a link to the study yet so that we know what we're discussing?

That's not a single report, it's a list of reports.

---------- Post added 29-07-2018 at 17:44 ----------

Oh, and if it's DM then it's most likely to be lies and willful misinterpretation isn't it.

This article Anna B??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5810455/Number-people-living-poverty-line-UK-maybe-half-thought-official-figures-show.html

The one whose headline states ..."Office for National Statistics report casts doubt on the extent of poverty..."

The one that concludes with the following quote:

Yesterday academic and researcher into the family Patricia Morgan said: ‘A large number of people are working unofficially and are unlikely to declare their incomes. There are many single mothers who are in fact supported by partners, but will be reluctant to discuss it because they wish to keep their benefits.

‘All this is ignored by the poverty lobby. Spreading the idea there are very high levels of poverty is their business.'

Why didn't you set that important detail out in your OP. Would have been pretty helpful to give some context to the thread.

Try this.

On the front page it states 'In the financial year ending 2017the average income of the richest fifth of households before taxes and benefits, was £88,000 per year, 12 times greater than that of the poorest fifth, £7,400.'

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/incomeandwealth