Ideal time to check your drains

With the return of the wet stuff it might be an idea to check the function of your drains.

I noticed that the flow from my drain pipe was not as much as it should have been with the rain coming down.

I found a build up of moss and things from the roof that have been effectively power washed down the drain pipe from the rain storm yesterday.

With the return of the wet stuff it might be an idea to check the function of your drains.

I noticed that the flow from my drain pipe was not as much as it should have been with the rain coming down.

I found a build up of moss and things from the roof that have been effectively power washed down the drain pipe from the rain storm yesterday.

Just construct plastic mesh rolls and place them over the drain holes. Make sure that they won’t come apart (I use tie wraps) and that they are a tight fit.

I think the OP is saying that his drain pipe was blocked not the actual drain cover?

I think the OP is saying that his drain pipe was blocked not the actual drain cover?

Yes I know, but it wouldn’t have been if the hole had been protected would it? :rolleyes:

If you are referrong to the hole at the top of a drain pipe where the gutter joins, I would say that putting anything over that would make the situation worse. Our shared drain pipe blocks right at the top, and a few inches either side of the pipe on the gutter. That are lots of debris (not leaves) from the surrounding trees that wash off the roofs. Ideally, a drainpipe wider than the standard width would help.

If you are referrong to the hole at the top of a drain pipe where the gutter joins, I would say that putting anything over that would make the situation worse. Our shared drain pipe blocks right at the top, and a few inches either side of the pipe on the gutter. That are lots of debris (not leaves) from the surrounding trees that wash off the roofs. Ideally, a drainpipe wider than the standard width would help.

You are wrong, all that you need to do is clean your gutters and the plastic mesh roll regularly, but everyone to their own. :)

Forgot all about this post of mine, seems relevant again though. My build up last year wasn't helped by the neighbours half cleaning their side of the gutter after a decade of being left.