Heater on bus today!!

So on the hottest day of the year, the heater was on full blast on the bus today!! Apparently they have to left on to keep the engines running:huh:

Don't they have air conditioning on public transport these days?.

Angel1.

Probably on to stop the engine overheating

Probably on to stop the engine overheating

Yes, I think that's the reason. But on an overcrowded bus it's pretty unpleasant. I've yet to experience an air condition local bus!

So on the hottest day of the year, the heater was on full blast on the bus today!! Apparently they have to left on to keep the engines running:huh:

If the bus engine has an overheating problem having the heater switched on it helps the engine stay cool. The reason of this is because the cabin heater is using the engine high temperature to warm the air it sends in the cabin thus engine temperature drops due to the heat exchange.

Yes, I think that's the reason. But on an overcrowded bus it's pretty unpleasant. I've yet to experience an air condition local bus!

Don't they have air conditioning on public transport these days?.

Angel1.

No point what with with the doors opening so often, and the driver having his O/S window permanently open.

If the bus engine has an overheating problem having the heater switched on it helps the engine stay cool. The reason of this is because the cabin heater is using the engine high temperature to warm the air it sends in the cabin thus engine temperature drops due to the heat exchange.

That makes sense. It must have been way over 30 degrees next to that heater.

No point what with with the doors opening so often, and the driver having his O/S window permanently open.

So the Government of the day would like me to leave my air conditioned car and ride on public transport in 30 degree temperatures. It just aint going to happen any time soon.

Angel1.

I believe some of the new double deckers have air con.

I believe some of the new double deckers have air con.

They have "Climate control" which isn't the same as air conditioning.

Basically they set a desired temperature and the control unit adjusts the hot and cold (ambient in real terms) air flow. There is no refrigeration of the incoming air to produce colder then ambient air which air conditioning does when set to cold.

And yes, bus drivers have to stick the heating on to bleed heat from the engine coolant system as the bus design is inadequate (but it's cheap compared to properly designed ones)

Edited by Resident

Guest busdriver1
They have "Climate control" which isn't the same as air conditioning.

Basically they set a desired temperature and the control unit adjusts the hot and cold (ambient in real terms) air flow. There is no refrigeration of the incoming air to produce colder then ambient air which air conditioning does when set to cold.

And yes, bus drivers have to stick the heating on to bleed heat from the engine coolant system as the bus design is inadequate (but it's cheap compared to properly designed ones)

Amusing but rubbish.

1 bus drivers have little or no control over the setting of the heaters. The latest ones need a laptop to set the ambient temperature.

2 Climate control is where the heating and air conditioning (non existent in this case) is controlled by one unit.

3 The latest models have computer controlled temperature units* see above.

4 There are 6 buses with air con to my knowledge in South Yorkshire. (Non of which work).