Public litter bins

Anyone know how often they are supposed to be emptied. There is one at a bus stop where I live and someone keeps leaving bags for life next to it, two of which we shifted and put in our own wheelie bin cos bags get ripped open and thrown around etc. Same person has put yet another next to the bin, the said bin is now full, hasn't been emptied for a few days and it absolutely stinks with it being so hot, the smell is wafting right under our noses now making me feel sick. Thought about ringing council, but what good would that do.

If its one of the large Black ones thy are emptied as part of the Streets Ahead programme by Amey and they get fined if they are not emptied regularly .We had an issue with one near us and we reported it and they have been really good at sorting it out .Ring Streets Ahead and if you know who is abusing it by getting rid of household or business rubbish this way tell them and they will sort that too .

So in response to yor what good will that do ..probably alot .

in lowedges we find they empty them mainly at night,thats the ones on the roadside,the others are day time,often shopping areas and they sweep as well,because some folk cant find a bin that's 2ft away.

It is not a large bin just the ones they have at bus stops, not meant for household waste, I wish I knew who keeps putting rubbish bags there, they do it a lot and there's also one on the corner or the road that they sometimes put bigger items next to. People just don't care

I could have written this post myself, we're having the same problem. We have a bus stop next to our house and the litter bin is next to that on a grass verge next to our garden.

The stink from the dog muck that's in it is horrible and over the last couple of nights someone has left a large black bag filled with rubbish and a rolled up bit of carpet.

I have just called Streets Ahead and they seemed most helpful, they have put it in the system as a job to do so hopefully will get sorted soon.

Wish i'd thought to ask how ofter they should be emptied now as it always seems full.

The one near Tinsley Marina doesn't get emptied regularly at all. Last month, the council actually cut around the overflowing rubbish when they were doing the grass.

If you don't have any luck with ringing Amey, you could use their website or I've found the FixMyStreet app is better for certain things, like this. For those of you having problems of people putting the "wrong" rubbish in their nearby public bins put a sticker on there explaining that that is what their black bin is for. Might also be worth putting Amey's number on said sticker so that other people who are annoyed by it have the number to hand to report it themselves.

The one near Tinsley Marina doesn't get emptied regularly at all. Last month, the council actually cut around the overflowing rubbish when they were doing the grass.

Also that one a bit further down the canal where the walk-over bridge is to access the tram stops at Meadowhall. I see it when cycling past. When it over flows the rubbish blows in to the canal.

They must know it needs more frequent emptying when they see the regular mess.

I usually report the full litter bins via the council website and they are pretty quick at coming and emptying them.

Me and mine are strange in that if the bins are full then we hang on to it and either find another bin or take it home …. but then...… we are educated. Not University by the way … just educated.

Maybe just an idea, and a pet hate of mine, but you do know if we weren't trying to help all the street drinkers in town we'd have an extra three million pounds which have been allocated to ridding that problem which we could use to emptying those bins and maybe picking up the litter too. Just a thought.

A classic example of idleness/ignorance where litter is concerned is the amount of tickets left on a bus floor when every passenger has to pass the 'used ticket' box to get off. These are probably the same tramps who wouldn't bother actively seeking a bin in the streets.