Top considerations when buying log burners

There aren't really, for them anyway, it all falls on the end user - who then isn't policed in what they do. The entire system is a complete charade.

It's not just the coal merchant, every large supermarket and discounter will have pallets of coal available during the winter.

The approved fuel is usually 20% more expensive than the incorrect stuff - which is sat right next to it.

Customers will buy on price, and they usually buy the cheaper illegal to use coal.

It just shouldn't be on sale in the first place.

Bit of a shambles really. Most people wouldn't know their obligations anyway, probably wouldn't even occur to them.

Bit of a shambles really. Most people wouldn't know their obligations anyway, probably wouldn't even occur to them.

Precisely the problem, and when the incorrect coal comes in bags labelled "house coal" what can you expect people to think???

Jomie, that forum asks for your location. Surprise, surprise it does not include Sheffield, Rotherham or Doncaster, not even the South Yorkshire area! I can only repeat what I said much earlier Sheffield does not care that we are returning back to the polluted area it used to be.

Would such an offence be controlled by the council or by the environmental agency?

The EA only deal with the illegal burning of commercial waste or deal with farmers that don't register an exemption for burning untreated wood (D7) for instance. There are a couple of other things but it then gets technical.

Wood burners in private housing is a matter for the local authority

It seems uncertain at the moment. A few posters on this thread were thinking of buying a log burner so hopefully this recent information might help in their decision making.

The last paragraph might be useful although it does refer to London:

"Q: I was going to buy a stove – should I hold off?

A: It’s a brave person who spends thousands on a wood-burning stove in London. That said, if you still want one, make sure your model is on the Defra-approved list."

This popped up in the news recently as well ministers are only now considering putting restrictions on the types of fuel people already shouldn't be using.

I don't know why they didn't do this years ago??

Traditional house coal could be phased out as early as 2019 under Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) proposals.

Pollution from burning wood and coal in the home currently causes 38% of particulate pollution - far outweighing that caused by industrial combustion (16%) and road transport (12%).

Yet the motorist gets hammered despite contributing half the pollution???

And would anybody assume Scandinavia being a polluted area ? Most quality wood burning stoves come from this region.....

Yes but the countries there are all much larger than the UK and have a much smaller population, so less people to create pollution and a much larger area to disperse it over.

The total population of Sweden, Norway and Finland combined is just over 20 million, all spread over an area over 1100,000 square kilometre.

We have over 66 million people, crammed into 242,000 square kilometre.

We've got roughly 3 times as many people living in a quarter of the area.

Pollution from burning wood and coal in the home currently causes 38% of particulate pollution - far outweighing that caused by industrial combustion (16%) and road transport (12%).

You can prove anything with statistics of course, but this one seems highly unlikely to me. We're approaching the end of a glorious summer and I doubt a single log burner has been lit in Sheffield since April. Hard to see how burning wood and coal contributes 38% of emissions. I suspect that statistic relates to one specific place at one specific point in time.

Edited by flantastico

You can prove anything with statistics of course, but his one seems highly unlikely to me. We're approaching the end of a glorious summer and I doubt a single log burner has been lit in Sheffield since April. Hard to see how burning wood and coal contributes 38% of emissions. I suspect that statistic relates to one specific place at one specific point in time.

Yeh I do find it hard to believe tbh