Failed minimum wage?

But most supermarkets pay comfortably over minimum wage.

https://m.thegrocer.co.uk/556212.article?mobilesite=enabled

Except the largest employer in that group...most pay under current living wage by looks of it. Do these rates apply to all age groups?

Edited by chakademus

Except the largest employer in that group...most pay under current living wage by looks of it. Do these rates apply to all age groups?

Obviously you spotted with your two business degrees the article is over a year old, so those rates may have changed but at the time of writing all were above living wage bar Iceland. I've read the same article you have so I don't know what they pay those under 21.

I know a couple of people who work in retail who are on minimum wage, but most I know are on more.

Obviously you spotted with your two business degrees the article is over a year old

I don't think there's any need to be facetious.:rolleyes:

Only trying to be helpful. Current living wage is £7.83 https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates so they all bar Iceland pay well above it. I suspect that's the case with alot of big retailers. But I've only got 6 GCSEs. :(

That's the NMW for over 25s.

The current living wage is £8.75 (£10.20 in London).

That's the NMW for over 25s.

The current living wage is £8.75 (£10.20 in London).

Not on any government website I can find, it's £7.83. Normally I'd just doff a forelock to the highly educated but do you think you could perhaps supply a link?

Even the RMT agree that it's £7.83 https://www.rmt.org.uk/about/policies/political-circulars-and-submissions/national-minimum-wage-nmw-rates-from-1st-april-2018/

Not on any government website I can find, it's £7.83. Normally I'd just doff a forelock to the highly educated but do you think you could perhaps supply a link?

Even the RMT agree that it's £7.83 https://www.rmt.org.uk/about/policies/political-circulars-and-submissions/national-minimum-wage-nmw-rates-from-1st-april-2018/

£7.83 is the government set statutory living wage - but it's the NMW really just under a new different name.

---------- Post added 16-08-2018 at 13:46 ----------

https://www.livingwage.org.uk/what-real-living-wage?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpYykoc3x3AIVSOd3Ch1YwABDEAAYASAAEgKh0vD_BwE

---------- Post added 16-08-2018 at 13:47 ----------

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

---------- Post added 16-08-2018 at 13:48 ----------

These rates are for the National Living Wage and the National Minimum Wage. The rates change every April.

Year 25 and over 21 to 24 18 to 20 Under 18 Apprentice

April 2018 £7.83 £7.38 £5.90 £4.20 £3.70

Edited by chakademus

£7.83 is the government set statutory living wage - but it's the NMW really just under a new different name.

---------- Post added 16-08-2018 at 13:46 ----------

https://www.livingwage.org.uk/what-real-living-wage?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpYykoc3x3AIVSOd3Ch1YwABDEAAYASAAEgKh0vD_BwE

Right so, national living wage is law, living wage is a notional thing (which Aldi and Lidl pay and morrisons nearly reach).

Right so, national living wage is law, living wage is a notional thing (which Aldi and Lidl pay and morrisons nearly reach).

The NMW & the "living wage" are same thing.

These rates are for the National Living Wage and the National Minimum Wage. The rates change every April.

So basically the government changed the definition because it wants to be seen to be paying a "living wage".

The NMW & the "living wage" are same thing.

So basically the government changed the definition because it wants to be seen to be paying a "living wage".

Not it wants to be seen to be paying a "living wage".

The wage is payable by the employer, unsubsidised by HMG!

Not it wants to be seen to be paying a "living wage".

The wage is payable by the employer, unsubsidised by HMG!

The wage is subsidised by HMG (public expenditure) in the form of inwork benefits, as statutory living wage isn't a living wage.

---------- Post added 16-08-2018 at 19:32 ----------

And neither is NMW

Really? Household names with many years of successful trading like House of Fraser, BHS, Toys R Us, Maplins, all crap? So, whose fault is that? It didn't stop their CEOs taking their ridiculously inflated salaries did it?

There's no getting away from it; these companies failed because their vastly overpayed, (only the best,) CEOs were incompetent, and there are many others in the pipeline.

Jeremy Corbyn had absolutely nothing to do with it, nice try though... :roll:

Yes I have worked in the private sector, and hated every minute of it. My abiding memory of it was of long term, highly skilled employees who would have made brilliant managers, being overlooked for management posts, in favour of green as grass graduates that didn't know their <removed> from their elbow, but thought they knew it all.

Those particular companies you mentioned failed for one reason only, because most people now prefer to do a lot of their buying online from companies like Amazon who siphon most of their taxes through countries like Luxembourg because of their lower tax regime. Something that Jean-Claude Juncker doesn't seem to have a problem with. Wonder why that is?

It's funny that a lot of the left wing losers don't want the UK to go down the same route.

As for you hating every minute working in the private sector, why aren't I surprised at that? It's the usual reaction from people who have been cosseted in the public sector.

And how do you know the people you mention would have made brilliant managers? I've worked at quite a few places in the fifty years after leaving school and in my experience most people tend to find their level.