Failed minimum wage?

Why should you have a say in deciding what is "silly money"?

The free market decides. If a CEO is managing a company that is turning over millions if not more, then why shouldn't they rewarded accordingly?

Large pay differentials have a direct impact on society... So that's why 'the people' might want to have a say.

Why should you have a say in deciding what is "silly money"?

The free market decides. If a CEO is managing a company that is turning over millions if not more, then why shouldn't they rewarded accordingly?

It's the 'accordingly' that many have an issue with; many people find it distasteful or immoral when they see CEO's earning multiple millions when workers are sleeping in cars or tents and relying on foodbanks.

It's the 'accordingly' that many have an issue with; many people find it distasteful or immoral when they see CEO's earning multiple millions when workers are sleeping in cars or tents and relying on foodbanks.

Companies should aim to be like Google, or could the Government make companies act in a moral way?

Through its Google Green Program, the company has donated over $1 billion to renewable energy projects, and has decreased its own footprint by using energy efficient buildings and public transportation.

The company is also a staunch advocate of free speech, which can be observed from its frequent conflicts with the Chinese government.

Google is also an open supporter of gay rights.

Yet all this pales in comparison to Google's status as a paragon for employee benefits. Just to name a few, Google employees have access to free health care and treatment from on-site doctors, free legal advice with discounted legal services, a fully stock snack pantry and onsite cafeteria (staffed by world-class chefs, no less), and a free on-site nursery.

With such a stellar record of social awareness and positive employee relations, Google is easily the best example of ethics in the corporate world today.

Read more: http://www.minyanville.com/sectors/consumer/articles/Good-Business253A-Corporations-with-Great-Ethical/2/16/2013/id/48045#ixzz5Moi8wuxO

Chief executive pay jumps 11% to almost £4m in 2017; whereas the average wage for UK workers' total earnings, including bonuses, increased by 2.4%

I think the minimum wage must have raised many people's standard of living.

As a youth 53 or so years ago we all used to sledge down the steep road of our council estate, dodging between the odd parked car. Had a ride around it the other day late evening and there are cars nose to tail 90% of the way around.

Looks to me that people are better off now than then, helped by the minimum wage, yes/no.

Angel1.

Chief executive pay jumps 11% to almost £4m in 2017; whereas the average wage for UK workers' total earnings, including bonuses, increased by 2.4%

Or to put it another way,

Chief executive pay £4 million

Average salary in Sheffield: £24,000

And many people in Sheffield are on nothing like that.

1 chief executive's pay would pay for 166 nurses or teachers. I know which do more for society...

https://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Location=Sheffield-England%3a-South-Yorkshire/Salary

Edited by Anna B

1 chief executive's pay would pay for 166 nurses or teachers. I know which do more for society...

https://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Location=Sheffield-England%3a-South-Yorkshire/Salary

Hmmm.

166 nurses or a CEO that can lead a company that provides livihoods for hundreds if not thousands of people. I know which one will do more for society.

You need to pay well to employ top rated CEOs. You can just grab anybody off the street like you to do a compentent job. It just doesn’t work.

Have you ever worked in the private sector?

Companies appoint the best person for the job and pay them accordingly, to hopefully make more profit, employ more people who then pay more tax, unfortunately your left wing utopia admirable as it may be doesn't work and never has.

Have you ever worked in the private sector?

Companies appoint the best person for the job and pay them accordingly, to hopefully make more profit, employ more people who then pay more tax, unfortunately your left wing utopia admirable as it may be doesn't work and never has.

Best person for the job?

Funny wasn't that the line used by the bankers until they ruined the economy?

And we now have many top companies going into administration, so maybe not so good after all...

Best person for the job?

Funny wasn't that the line used by the bankers until they ruined the economy?

And we now have many top companies going into administration, so maybe not so good after all...

Yes, best person for the job, I should have put 'in their opinion'.

The bankers! Wasn't it Gordon Brown who bailed out the banks? When a lot of economists said he should have let them go bust.

If companies go bust it's because they are crap, under Jeremy Kyle, sorry I meant Jeremy Corbyn, I always get them mixed up, he would be nationalising everything then throwing money at them.

Mind you, he wouldn't be able to do that for long as tax revenues went down as the wealthy moved their money to a less repressive tax regime.

---------- Post added 15-08-2018 at 20:01 ----------

The bankers! Wasn't it Gordon Brown who bailed out the banks? When a lot of economists said he should have let them go bust.

If companies go bust it's because they are crap, under Jeremy Kyle, sorry I meant Jeremy Corbyn, I always get them mixed up, he would be nationalising everything then throwing money at them.

Mind you, he wouldn't be able to do that for long as tax revenues went down as the wealthy moved their money to a less repressive tax regime.

By the way, have you worked in the private sector?

---------- Post added 15-08-2018 at 20:01 ----------

By the way, have you worked in the private sector?

Really? Household names with many years of successful trading like House of Fraser, BHS, Toys R Us, Maplins, all crap? So, whose fault is that? It didn't stop their CEOs taking their ridiculously inflated salaries did it?

There's no getting away from it; these companies failed because their vastly overpayed, (only the best,) CEOs were incompetent, and there are many others in the pipeline.

Jeremy Corbyn had absolutely nothing to do with it, nice try though... :roll:

Yes I have worked in the private sector, and hated every minute of it. My abiding memory of it was of long term, highly skilled employees who would have made brilliant managers, being overlooked for management posts, in favour of green as grass graduates that didn't know their <removed> from their elbow, but thought they knew it all.

Edited by nikki-red

Really? Household names with many years of successful trading like House of Fraser, BHS, Toys R Us, Maplins, all crap? So, whose fault is that? It didn't stop their CEOs taking their ridiculously inflated salaries did it?

There's no getting away from it; these companies failed because their vastly overpayed, (only the best,) CEOs were incompetent, and there are many others in the pipeline.

Jeremy Corbyn had absolutely nothing to do with it, nice try though... :roll:

Yes I have worked in the private sector, and hated every minute of it. My abiding memory of it was of long term, highly skilled employees who would have made brilliant managers, being overlooked for management posts, in favour of green as grass graduates that didn't know their <removed> from their elbow, but thought they knew it all.

We are not on the same page most of the time Anna, but I wholeheartedly agree with the comment of yours I have emboldened, but it probably applies equally in the public sector also.

Edited by nikki-red