Why has religion retained its appeal?

Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

3 minutes ago, danot said:

Halibut. Go into your settings and switch the 'joke notification' feature to on.

Jokes are funny, not tedious.

5 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Jokes are funny, not tedious.

Now why say something like that? Play nice. You'll be getting another warning for bickering if you carry on. 

1 hour ago, danot said:

If I was so inclined and not the man that I am,  I could so easily dedicate the next ten pages to giving you a reeeealy hard time over how you've just switched to using the word 'strangely' when you originally used the word wierd.. not just once, but twice.

But I won't. I'm not that kinda guy.

So, we're finally in agreement of there being no laws against wearing a balaclava in public, not even on a warm day. We're also in agreement of there being a kind of mild stigma(my term)about wearing a balaclava in public for no apparent reason on a warm day that the police and members of the general public consider wierd, or strange.

Any idea what makes it wierd, or stran....  enough of that, can you let me know which word we're using.

Let's have a recap. 

We agree there's no law against covering our faces when out in public. 

We agree there's no law against wearing a balaclava when out in public.

We agree there's no law against keeping our head warm on a nice day when out it public.

The only thing we can't agree on is the restrictive measures I've mentioned. 

To me, and please, do share if I'm overlooking the obvious- there appears to be no lawful or purposeful reason for why the police would stop and question someone just because they're wearing a balaclava in public for no apparent reason on a warm day other than the 'restrictive measures' that I've mentioned.  Can you think of anything else?

You've just agreed that there are no such restrictive measures though.  You can't have it both ways.

And when speaking or writing, it's considered to be good form to avoid repeating the same word over and over, so we use synonyms, like, weird, strange, odd, unusual, bizarre, unexpected, unusual, out of the ordinary.  Mostly just to keep the prose a little more interesting.

Edited by Cyclone

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

There aren't any. You've comprehensively failed to demonstrate that they exist.

Then perhaps you can demonstrate why wearing a balaclava in public for no apparent reason on a warm day warrants being stopped by the police in spite of there having been no public order offences committed? 

Religious groups of all faiths within societies tend to have a structure and a wholesome ethos, this is what some people are drawn to, its  something that is distinctly lacking in the secular world.  But I should think most people don't really believe in god and all that spiritual stuff really.

Edited by Hots on

8 hours ago, Cyclone said:

You've just agreed that there are no such restrictive measures though.  You can't have it both ways.

And when speaking or writing, it's considered to be good form to avoid repeating the same word over and over, so we use synonyms, like, weird, strange, odd, unusual, bizarre, unexpected, unusual, out of the ordinary.  Mostly just to keep the prose a little more interesting.

Where did I agree to there being no restrictive measures?  Are you even aware of what 'restrive measures' are and how and why they are applied?

Edited by danot

1 minute ago, Hots on said:

Religious groups of all faiths within societies tend to have a structure and a wholesome ethos, this is what some people are drawn to, its  something that is distinctly lacking in the secular world.  But I should think most people don't really believe in god and all that spiritual stuff really.

People are people, religion doesn't better anyone. If anything, religious people are proving to be just as troublesome what with fundamentalists, sexist's, homophobes and paedophiles.

48 minutes ago, danot said:

People are people, religion doesn't better anyone. If anything, religious people are proving to be just as troublesome what with fundamentalists, sexist's, homophobes and paedophiles.

Percentage wise more teachers are paedophiles than Catholic priests, but attacking Catholicism  seems to be an acceptable form of religous hatred .

Edited by Hots on

21 minutes ago, danot said:

Agreed. All Christians understand that they are sinners despite their beliefs, so shouldn't think they are better than anyone

On 20/03/2019 at 22:19, SnailyBoy said:

All that belief, yet not a shred of evidence to show that's it's true.

Oh, I did a simple Google search and found this

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/epiphenom/2009/01/childish-beliefs-of-dr-justin-barrett.html

And? 

It's a site with a view of someone.

No study or anything- just an opinion.

It doesn't take away the fact that religious beliefs are on the rise.

China by 2030 is projected to be more Christian than the US. This is an atheist state..

Leaving aside numbers etc the very fact people question existence and have a wanting to ' know' is in my view, evidence that we are pre wired to search God or look into the spiritual side.

Atheism and by extension Naturalism offers no answer to why we have this wanting and need from an evolutionary perspective.

10 hours ago, Mr Fisk said:

It's a site with a view of someone.

Indeed, just in case you were looking for an alternative opinion, with a few rebuttals

It doesn't take away the fact that religious beliefs are on the rise.

It's still a process of indoctrination, also you've appealed to popularity.  Just because a lot of people believe something, it doesn't make those beliefs true.

China by 2030 is projected to be more Christian than the US. This is an atheist state..

Once again, that's an appeal to popularity, it doesn't make those beliefs true.

Leaving aside numbers etc the very fact people question existence and have a wanting to ' know' is in my view, evidence that we are pre wired to search God or look into the spiritual side

Your view isn't evidence, if you have evidence, submit it for peer review. Also questioning existence and filling the gap with a god and vague notions of 'spiritual' tells us nothing.

I've yet to hear a definition of spiritual that has any relevance to reality.

Atheism and by extension Naturalism offers no answer to why we have this wanting and need from an evolutionary perspective.

The 'wanting' hasn't been proven, that's an assumption. Also atheism not having an answer to a question doesn't suddenly make your answer correct.

Present your evidence

PS Atheism doesn't offer any answers, it's simply a rejection of the claim that a god/gods exists.

Edited by SnailyBoy

10 hours ago, danot said:

Where did I agree to there being no restrictive measures?  Are you even aware of what 'restrive measures' are and how and why they are applied?

"

Let's have a recap. 

We agree there's no law against covering our faces when out in public. 

We agree there's no law against wearing a balaclava when out in public.

We agree there's no law against keeping our head warm on a nice day when out it public."

10 hours ago, Hots on said:

Percentage wise more teachers are paedophiles than Catholic priests, but attacking Catholicism  seems to be an acceptable form of religous hatred .

Do you have any evidence to support that?

A Church-commissioned report in 2004 said more than 4,000 US Roman Catholic priests had faced sexual abuse allegations in the last 50 years, in cases involving more than 10,000 children - mostly boys.

A 2009 report found that sexual and psychological abuse was "endemic" in Catholic-run industrial schools and orphanages in Ireland for most of the 20th Century.

A five-year Australian inquiry in 2017 found that "tens of thousands of children" were sexually abused in Australian institutions over decades, including churches, schools and sports clubs.

8 hours ago, Mr Fisk said:

It's just emergent behaviour of our advanced pattern matching neural wiring, and of our highly developed frontal cortex that allows us to apply cause and effect reasoning to the world we observe.