Why has religion retained its appeal?

Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

7 minutes ago, Hots on said:

I bet you sneer at the Salvation Army just because they're a Christian organisation.

Nope, I 'sneer' at them because of their attitude to our friends in the LGBTQ community.

31 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

Nope, I 'sneer' at them because of their attitude to our friends in the LGBTQ community.

Is this the type of thing you dislike about them:

Anyone who comes to The Salvation Army will receive assistance based solely on their need and our capacity to provide help.  We work with people who are vulnerable and marginalised across the world, and offer very practical help, unconditional assistance and support regardless of race, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Prejudice comes in many forms doesn't it?

Edited by woodview

3 minutes ago, woodview said:

Anyone who comes to The Salvation Army will receive assistance based solely on their need and our capacity to provide help.  We work with people who are vulnerable and marginalised across the world, and offer very practical help, unconditional assistance and support regardless of race, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

No, it's about what they do in reality, rather than what they claim they do.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/11/20/salvation-army-gay-marriage-christmas/

3 minutes ago, woodview said:

In the news this week has been Muslim parents threatening to take their children out of schools for exposing them to LGBT issues. For the record I respect the Muslims stance, but you'll not hear the left  condemn them, not specifically anyway, if pressed the left will spinelessly blend it in with bigotry across the whole of society generally. 

6 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

No, it's about what they do in reality, rather than what they claim they do.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/11/20/salvation-army-gay-marriage-christmas/

Ahh , so you sneer at British Salvation Army , who are helping the most vulnerable in society, because of a US news story.

Just seems vindictive rather than open minded or tolerant.

13 minutes ago, woodview said:

Ahh , so you sneer at British Salvation Army , who are helping the most vulnerable in society, because of a US news story.

Just seems vindictive rather than open minded or tolerant.

Well you'll notice I said 'sneer' in response to another poster's strawman argument.

If you think I should be tolerant of intolerance then you're welcome to try and make that argument

Oh and here's another article.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/salvation-army-centre-discrimination-storm-7080375

1 hour ago, SnailyBoy said:

Well you'll notice I said 'sneer' in response to another poster's strawman argument.

If you think I should be tolerant of intolerance then you're welcome to try and make that argument

Oh and here's another article.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/salvation-army-centre-discrimination-storm-7080375

So, basically you've  hunted out a uk article to try to justify your dislike of people who spend their time trying to help the needy.

Makes edl types look open minded.

8 minutes ago, woodview said:

So, basically you've  hunted out a uk article to try to justify your dislike of people who spend their time trying to help the needy.

Makes edl types look open minded.

Tolerance of intolerance?

10 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

Tolerance of intolerance?

I'm talking about your desire to lump people together.  You're sneering at kind, good, loving people, based on the actions of completely different people.

Just the same as an edl character would do to a british muslim, based on something isis has done.

1 minute ago, woodview said:

I'm talking about your desire to lump people together.  You're sneering at kind, good, loving people, based on the actions of completely different people.

Just the same as an edl character would do to a british muslim, based on something isis has done.

No, this is about the attitude of the Salvation Army organisation to the LGBTQ community. I've been pretty clear on that.

If you think that's an example of 'kind, good, loving people', good for you.

12 hours ago, SnailyBoy said:

How does an individual confirm that a personal experience is 'spiritual/religious'? 

I don't know - I guess that's an individual threshold.

12 hours ago, SnailyBoy said:

How are you defining morality?

Quite literally from the root mores.

8 hours ago, SnailyBoy said:

No, this is about the attitude of the Salvation Army organisation to the LGBTQ community. I've been pretty clear on that.

If you think that's an example of 'kind, good, loving people', good for you.

So, who are you sneering at? Some unknown person at head office, or the thousands of decent volunteers helping the homeless?

It's the same as a bigoted minority people talk about muslims.  Disgrace.