Why has religion retained its appeal?

Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

2 minutes ago, danot said:

Do you believe they've have stopped me to ask me some random question if I hadn't been wearing the balaclava?

Ah, the old "answer a question with another, diverting question".

Would you care to give an actual answer?

Just now, RootsBooster said:

Ah, the old "answer a question with another, diverting question".

Would you care to give an actual answer?

You give me one.  Example:  What would I have done wrong by wearing a balaclava in public if doing so warrants a passing police officer to stop me and question me?

2 minutes ago, danot said:

You give me one.  Example:  What would I have done wrong by wearing a balaclava in public if doing so warrants a passing police officer to stop me and question me?

You wouldn't have done anything wrong, see post #830.

Now will you answer my question?

2 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

2 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

Because, were I out in public concealing my identity by wearing joke spectacles, nose and moustache for no apparent reason' a passing police officer is likely to smirk and walk by at most. But, wearing a balaclava doesn't receive that reaction in public, but why?  Why is stigma associated with wearing a balaclava in public?

2 hours ago, danot said:

Because, were I out in public concealing my identity by wearing joke spectacles, nose and moustache for no apparent reason' a passing police officer is likely to smirk and walk by at most. But, wearing a balaclava doesn't receive that reaction in public, but why?  Why is stigma associated with wearing a balaclava in public?

I think you're a bit not all there.

4 hours ago, Halibut said:

I think you're a bit not all there.

Why's that, is it because I've given you a ptetty damn good example that illustrates how I am able to wear something weird/strange for no apparent reason when out in public without being stopped and questioned by a passing police officer? But, you've obviously found a flaw in my reasoning so c'mon, spit it out.

9 hours ago, danot said:

So now you've admitted that things other than religious (or cultural) items can cover the face in public (I think we had motorbike helmets 20 pages ago).

So you've now concluded that there is no special treatment for the religious in this case and you've just been wasting everyone's time?  (although you do now seem to be fixated on balaclavas and how unjustly the police treat balaclava wearers, perhaps you see that as a form of secular oppression?).

11 hours ago, danot said:

I haven't ignored explanations. I've dismissed them because they're bias.

What's the bias then?  This should be funny.

10 hours ago, danot said:

Why is stigma associated with wearing a balaclava in public?

What is the stigma you're taking about?

4 hours ago, danot said:

Why's that, is it because I've given you a ptetty damn good example that illustrates how I am able to wear something weird/strange for no apparent reason when out in public without being stopped and questioned by a passing police officer? But, you've obviously found a flaw in my reasoning so c'mon, spit it out.

You referred to the 'stigma' associated with wearing a balaclava. There isn't one. What has been explained to you on more than one occasion though, is the idea that a police officer on seeing someone wearing one in public in warm weather might be curious, or even suspicious, of their motive and ask questions of the wearer.

It's also been explained to you that a person wearing niqab probably wouldn't arouse such suspicion, given that the motive to wear one (modesty, not wishing to show their face to anyone other than husband/close family) is known and understood.

I'm comfortable with all of that.

You still seem (for reasons that to me are as clear as mud) to find the two ideas (balaclava/niqab) representing some kind of injustice that needs addressing - even to the point where you came out with the spectacularly poor sentence ''The crime associative prejudices against certain none religious face concealing headwear being lawfully and socially accepted as a hate crime. ''

From my point of view, you appear to be completely unable to sustain a clear line of thinking.  Lets look at that sentence again. You appear to be suggesting that asking someone who is wearing a balaclava why they are doing so constitutes some kind of offence and should be regarded as a hate crime. To me (and I suspect many others) that's simply absurd and makes no sense at all. Who is being hated in that scenario?

12 hours ago, danot said:

I haven't ignored explanations. I've dismissed them because they're bias.

Just a point of grammar. The word you should have used is 'biased'.

I thought that perhaps he thought it was a hate crime AGAINST the person wearing the balaclava.  Being suspicious of their behaviour specifically being the act of "hate".

54 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

I thought that perhaps he thought it was a hate crime AGAINST the person wearing the balaclava.  Being suspicious of their behaviour specifically being the act of "hate".

That's what I thought he might mean - but then I thought, 'no, it can't be that, it's too ridiculously silly'.

We shall see.

It’s been on the news today, ISIS has been defeated, for now.  Their interpretation of religion needed to be destroyed, to kill people who worship another form of religion to them in brutal ways is disgusting.  Let’s hope their ideology can also be dismantled.

I have no time for religion, but it people find comfort from their beliefs and it does not interfere with others, I can live with that.