Why has religion retained its appeal?

Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

Talking of head coverings, I noticed  New Zealand's female prime minister had an Islamic headscarf covering her hair while attended a memorial for the attack. No self respecting non Muslim woman should feel compelled to do this and Muslims shouldn't expect it. Its not part of Islam, it is more to do with patriarchy in their culture.

40 minutes ago, Hots on said:

Talking of head coverings, I noticed  New Zealand's female prime minister had an Islamic headscarf covering her hair while attended a memorial for the attack. No self respecting non Muslim woman should feel compelled to do this and Muslims shouldn't expect it. Its not part of Islam, it is more to do with patriarchy in their culture.

She didn't feel compelled to wear it - she chose to as a sign of solidarity and respect for the community.

Just now, Halibut said:

She didn't feel compelled to wear it - she chose to as a sign of solidarity and respect for the community.

I think she knows she'd be criticized if she didn't. Theresa May was pictured in a head covering and sat on the floor in a British Mosque recently. Amazing.

24 minutes ago, Hots on said:

I think she knows she'd be criticized if she didn't. Theresa May was pictured in a head covering and sat on the floor in a British Mosque recently. Amazing.

What, that people should choose to wear their hair covered?  Yeah, completely gobsmackingly extraordinarily amazing.

Would you be similarly astonished if I were to reveal that last time I visited my local mosque I took my shoes off on entering?

59 minutes ago, Halibut said:

What, that people should choose to wear their hair covered?  Yeah, completely gobsmackingly extraordinarily amazing.

Would you be similarly astonished if I were to reveal that last time I visited my local mosque I took my shoes off on entering?

Did you cover hair?

And yes it is completely gobsmackingly extraordinarily amazing that a Female Conservative Prime Minister of a developed western democratic civilisation has her hair covered to give succour to Arab patriarchy on British soil  .

Edited by Hots on

24 minutes ago, Hots on said:

Did you cover hair?

No. No need.

And yes it is completely gobsmackingly extraordinarily amazing that a Female Conservative Prime Minister of a developed western democratic civilisation has her hair covered to...

...respect other people's culture, traditions and values.

11 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Of course you didn't cover your hair, you're not a woman, isn't it funny how only women have to cover their hair? Did you wave to the women  from your segregated area away from them ?

Edited by Hots on

5 hours ago, Halibut said:

You're not even making any sense now. Restrictive measures, by definition, don't permit things.

Can we explore this bizarre bee in your bonnet a while?

You are making a great issue of the idea that the police might (and I use might as it's a rather unlikely scenario) make enquiries of our chap in a balaclava on a warm day and probably wouldn't make similar enquiries of a woman wearing niqab.

Why? Why does it bother you?

Is it that you feel it's unfair? If so, who is it unfair to?

Do you think balaclavas should be banned? Niqabs?

Restrictive measures reform social attitudes and discourage people from doing and/or engaging in certain things, and a prime example of a restrictive measure being applied in public is the police stopping and questioning someone wearing a balaclava for no apparent reason on a warm day despite there being no law against wearing a balaclava for no apparent reason a warm day. 

Ever asked yourself (why am I asking you this, of course you won't have) why wearing a balaclava in public for no apparent reason is considered strange and of interest to the police when wearing other unnecessary fashionable head accessories such as a woolly hat in nice weather, or, dark sunglasses in the evening, or gloves in T shirt weather isn't really picked up on?  It's due to the 'Restrictive measures' that are in place.

Not sure what makes this scenario so unlikely either. Styles of dress are becoming more diverse and weird/strange by the day. You see people wearing all sorts of odd things, but each to their own say.   And, no. I don't think either garment should be banned. I just think the wearers of both ought to be thought of and treated equally out in public.  And NO,  they're not.   

Edited by danot

4 hours ago, danot said:

You've yet to explain why wearing a balaclava in public for no apparent reason on a warm day should be of interest to the police.

In the same way if you were hiding in a bush. Perfectly legal and above board, but they might ask you what you are doing!

1 minute ago, woodview said:

In the same way if you were hiding in a bush. Perfectly legal and above board, but they might ask you what you are doing!

Loitering you mean? Loitering isn't without its restrictions, so restrictive measures apply here too.  

6 minutes ago, danot said:

Loitering you mean? Loitering isn't without its restrictions, so restrictive measures apply here too.  

You're only loitering if you are staying there with no apparent reason. They'd have to question you to establish that.......

Having said that, I must admit to only commenting out of jest, because I'm not sure the long running niqab / balaclava debate is getting to the root of religious belief. I could be wrong of course.

Edited by woodview

10 minutes ago, woodview said:

You're only loitering if you are staying there with no apparent reason. They'd have to question you to establish that.......

Having said that, I must admit to only commenting out of jest, because I'm not sure the long running niqab / balaclava debate is getting to the root of religious belief. I could be wrong of course.

For me, balaclava wearing is a unrestricted freedom, and if the police do stop a balaclava wearer in public to have a quick chat, you'll be witnessing  a 'restrictive measure'. 

Authorities wouldn't want balaclava wearing to catch on, it'd complicate policing somewhat for starters, not to mention Big Brother style street surveillance, which is why the police tend treat it as a matter of interest, and why there seems to be a mild stigma attached to wearing one or accompanying a wearer out in public. It's not the done thing,  despite it being one of the many unrestricted freedoms of this country. Anyhow. You're right.    Enough about balaclavas.