Why has religion retained its appeal?

Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

19 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Interesting theory but I would respectfully disagree. Opposing opinions are certainly taboo in this forum which is widely regarded as left wing. 

All I'm calling out is the hypocrisy by people. Apparently belittling a person's belief system is fair game but, for example, voting leave, questioning Gender Fluidity, calling out grooming gangs etc is considered wrong..

Very briefly I looked up the Sheffield Grooming Gang thread, I can't find a single post in it against people calling out grooming gangs.

I would imagine the Brexit one is heavily divided (obviously). I'll look up gender fluidity threads when I get time later.

2 hours ago, danot said:

You and I wouldn't be allowed to wear face concealing headwear unrestrictedly in public, unless the headwear had religious significance attached to it. Religious face concealing headwear is exempt from restrive measures that may prevent you and I from wearing none religious face concealing headwear in certain public places. 

This exemption is most definitely exclusively placed on religious headwear, so I feel you're not being entirely honest with me here.  Care to redress the point, or are you standing by it?

Utter nonsense.

44 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

What would prevent you or I from wearing something that conceals our faces?

Nothing at all.  We're allowed to wear face concealing headwear, but when we're out in the public domain, there's restrictive measures in place that would prevent us from Doing so in certain places and establishments. Not so when wearing face concealing headwear headwear that has religious significance.

Where are we going with this?

2 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Utter nonsense.

Tugh.. expand on please.

10 hours ago, Delayed said:

A person's religion is very personal to people. Go into a mosque, synagogue or any place of worship and crack wise about their God. See what their reaction is. You are only doing it behind the safety of your keyboard. 

Are you saying that I wouldn't be safe?  Hardly a ringing endorsements of those religions is it!

And of course you have no idea who I've discussed religion with in person, or how I do it.  You don't think I just made up zombie jesus now do you?

10 hours ago, danot said:

In which case,  being respectful or your reluctance to discuss religion or anything for that matter needn't be of any further interest to anyone. As you say, respect has to be earned. Hey-oh. 

Err, right, yes, carry on.  

2 hours ago, danot said:

You and I wouldn't be allowed to wear face concealing headwear unrestrictedly in public, unless the headwear had religious significance attached to it. Religious face concealing headwear is exempt from restrive measures that may prevent you and I from wearing none religious face concealing headwear in certain public places. 

This exemption is most definitely exclusively placed on religious headwear, so I feel you're not being entirely honest with me here.  Care to redress the point, or are you standing by it?

Can you point out a law that stops you covering your face?

Edited by Cyclone

54 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Interesting theory but I would respectfully disagree. Opposing opinions are certainly taboo in this forum which is widely regarded as left wing. 

All I'm calling out is the hypocrisy by people. Apparently belittling a person's belief system is fair game but, for example, voting leave, questioning Gender Fluidity, calling out grooming gangs etc is considered wrong..

This forum is far from left wing, if anything it's the opposite, with a large right wing representation.

I think though what you've confused is just topics that you'd like to see debated and topics you wouldn't.  Or perhaps it's topics where you agree with a majority and others where you don't.

Certainly the brexit vote is one of the longest ever discussed topics on the forum, with strong representation from both sides.  And the fact that the other topics exist and are being discussed rather defeats any point you were trying to make about them being sacrosanct doesn't it.

10 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Err, right, yes, carry on.  

It's not easy to reply with a valid counter argument once your innitial argument starts to fall apart is it. 

Edited by danot

2 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

This forum is far from left wing, if anything it's the opposite, with a large right wing representation.

I think though what you've confused is just topics that you'd like to see debated and topics you wouldn't.  Or perhaps it's topics where you agree with a majority and others where you don't.

Certainly the brexit vote is one of the longest ever discussed topics on the forum, with strong representation from both sides.  And the fact that the other topics exist and are being discussed rather defeats any point you were trying to make about them being sacrosanct doesn't it.

Not at all. Id like some consistency applied. You would happily criticise religion in the same manner others would. Only people with an opposing view on hot topics are shut down as racist, Bogota etc etc. I'm after consistency. Religion isn't free game whereas others aren't

I can possibly see the source of your confusion, but, only people who express racist views have that label applied.

Perhaps you feel that it's unfair that I can be against racism, but am apparently happen to laugh at religion, as if it weren't an important, integral, unchangeable characteristic of a person.  (That's because it isn't).

Religion is a system of belief, it's not integral to you, you aren't born with it and it isn't part of you.  Race, skin colour, sex, gender, these things are just a part of you.

6 minutes ago, danot said:

It's not easy to reply with a valid counter argument once your innitial argument starts to fall apart is it. 

Sorry, did you have a point?

You want me to counter this?

"In which case,  being respectful or your reluctance to discuss religion or anything for that matter needn't be of any further interest to anyone. As you say, respect has to be earned. Hey-oh. "

But you didn't say anything.  There is literally nothing there about the topic we are discussing.  It doesn't even make sense as an ad hom.

You appear to think that I'm reluctant to discuss the topic we are currently discussing.  Bizarre.  And then some ramblings about respect.  Perhaps I should have just ignored it as a pointless filler post with no content and not replied at all.

15 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Can you point out a law that stops you covering your face?

Give it a go, refusing to remove it when asked, then get back to me and tell me how you got on.

14 hours ago, danot said:

Exactly how are you being tolerant and respectful of their 'delusional false hope's' if you're telling them that their hopes are delusional and asking that they respect you for it?

Maybe the entire thread of discussion is just about your confusion though?

You were confused back here when you thought I was asking for respect.  And now that we clarified I never said that, you continued to post about respect, but making even less sense.

Just now, danot said:

Give it a go, refusing to remove it when asked, then get back to me and tell me how you got on.

Asked by whom?

And how about no.  This is a discussion.  Admit that there is no law against covering your face, rather than coming up with bizarre challenges that you can't know if I've tried or not.

If you want challenges though, go and put a motorcycle helmet on, walk around in it.  You won't get served in a bank wearing it, but nobody will demand in public that you take it off.

8 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Sorry, did you have a point?

You want me to counter this?

"In which case,  being respectful or your reluctance to discuss religion or anything for that matter needn't be of any further interest to anyone. As you say, respect has to be earned. Hey-oh. "

But you didn't say anything.  There is literally nothing there about the topic we are discussing.  It doesn't even make sense as an ad hom.

You appear to think that I'm reluctant to discuss the topic we are currently discussing.  Bizarre.  And then some ramblings about respect.  Perhaps I should have just ignored it as a pointless filler post with no content and not replied at all.

You've  taken my counter argument and turned it against me. How uninventive of you. 

You have entitled theists to be just as disrespectful of you not wanting to discuss or hear what they insist on telling you by showing disrespect for their belief. Like I said, no one need take any further interest in whether they're being disrespectful of anything you're offended by because respect is a two way thing.

Edited by danot

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Maybe the entire thread of discussion is just about your confusion though?

You were confused back here when you thought I was asking for respect.  And now that we clarified I never said that, you continued to post about respect, but making even less sense.

Asked by whom?

And how about no.  This is a discussion.  Admit that there is no law against covering your face, rather than coming up with bizarre challenges that you can't know if I've tried or not.

If you want challenges though, go and put a motorcycle helmet on, walk around in it.  You won't get served in a bank wearing it, but nobody will demand in public that you take it off.

I said there were 'restrictive  measures' in place preventing you from concealing your face in certain places and establishments, I never mentioned the legality of concealing your face. 

Agreed, banks are permitted to refuse service to someone wearing a motorcycle helmet, and have them forcefully removed from the premises if they refuse to remove it, and now we've agreed on that, what about someone wearing a niqab, will the same restrictive measures permit banks to refuse them service?

Edited by danot