Why has religion retained its appeal?

Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

3 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

I think you've got the wrong thread then.  This thread is about why religion has retained its appeal.

And I'm fairly sure that I said something about unless it impinges on me or I have to discuss it...  Almost those exact words.  Perhaps you don't want to discuss it?  In which case, cease posting about it.

Perhaps you can ask him.  I see no reason to answer your leading questions though.  On an interesting point though, I wear a balaclava when it's cold.  Covering your face is not illegal.

On the contrary, l'm happy to discuss 'delusional false hope' with you. And the face covering question that you replied to wasn't for you, it was directed at RootsBooster, and the question still stands since the pair of you are quoting me on each other's behalf. 

39 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

If you say that you believe in Santa then you're delusional, but a sky pixie who created the world and his son who came back as a zombie, you don't want those to be called delusions?

Is this 20 questions?  Why should I even consider answering what is obviously a leading question?

That seems fair.

People have the right to believe whatever they like, so long as it harms no one else.

But I don't think any belief comes with an automatic requirement for respect from anyone else.

I didn't ask for respect...  You're getting confused.

If people want to discuss their beliefs then they have to be prepared to defend them right, that would include against people who think that they sound delusional and that the hope of a second chance in an "after" life is a false hope.

How can you discuss the concept of an afterlife if you disagree with it, without calling it a false hope?

Your references to sky pixies and zombies show a very childish attitude and a lack of understanding. Again, thread is about religion and the immature can only reference Christianity 

4 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Your references to sky pixies and zombies show a very childish attitude and a lack of understanding. Again, thread is about religion and the immature can only reference Christianity 

Perhaps you need to study a few more religions, all the Abrahamic religions believe in the same god and 2 of them believe in Jesus in some form (the 3rd one rejects him as a false messiah).

It's fairly central to nearly all religions that they believe in a creator god or gods, often living in the sky or somewhere ineffable that men can't reach.

My reference to zombie jesus was a bit of lighthearted fun at the delusional belief in resurrection using a modern trope of resurrection, or at least undeath.  If you can't laugh about it then it probably says more about you than me.

Frankly I find it hard to take religion seriously, except of course when the religious are blowing people up, or blocading abortion clinics, denying self control to women of their bodies, or killing other people for believing something slightly different to them.

I think that an expression of polite disbelief and some gentle mockery is probably the best way to discuss religion, if you don't, well, nobody is making you discuss it.

3 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Perhaps you need to study a few more religions, all the Abrahamic religions believe in the same god and 2 of them believe in Jesus in some form (the 3rd one rejects him as a false messiah).

It's fairly central to nearly all religions that they believe in a creator god or gods, often living in the sky or somewhere ineffable that men can't reach.

My reference to zombie jesus was a bit of lighthearted fun at the delusional belief in resurrection using a modern trope of resurrection, or at least undeath.  If you can't laugh about it then it probably says more about you than me.

Frankly I find it hard to take religion seriously, except of course when the religious are blowing people up, or blocading abortion clinics, denying self control to women of their bodies, or killing other people for believing something slightly different to them.

I think that an expression of polite disbelief and some gentle mockery is probably the best way to discuss religion, if you don't, well, nobody is making you discuss it

A person's religion is very personal to people. Go into a mosque, synagogue or any place of worship and crack wise about their God. See what their reaction is. You are only doing it behind the safety of your keyboard. 

46 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

I didn't ask for respect...  You're getting confused.

In which case,  being respectful or your reluctance to discuss religion or anything for that matter needn't be of any further interest to anyone. As you say, respect has to be earned. Hey-oh. 

3 hours ago, Delayed said:

Fair enough but how about being adult and not referring to beliefs as delusional?

I didn't

3 hours ago, danot said:

Do you see face covering as a religious privilege that shouldn't be protected from being banned? 

Of course not, anyone can cover their face, it's not exclusive to the religious.

I wouldn't say it's a privilege, as such, either. Just like I don't consider it much of a privilege (in general terms) to wear a shirt.

Edited by RootsBooster

2 hours ago, Delayed said:

A person's religion is very personal to people. Go into a mosque, synagogue or any place of worship and crack wise about their God. See what their reaction is. You are only doing it behind the safety of your keyboard. 

This is a public (ish) forum, not some sacred ground where opposing opinions are automatically taboo.

Do you also challenge the religious to go round to the homes of atheists and proselytise?

On 23/07/2018 at 03:37, mafya said:

My bold=

Like Baptism and Christenings?

Yes.

Even worse, ritual infant circumcision.

Religion is just a tool conceived by Rome to control masses of people.

Other emerging states soon followed Romes lead and promoted religion to the masses and so it spread.Its a clever ploy,but the romans were WAY ahead of their time.In times gone by,a god and head of state were almost seen as one.

Still amazed by the fact that all the old roman con tricks are still in use even in this more enlightened age and how state controlled we all still are.A free will and liberty are still almost non existant and its 2019!

5 hours ago, RootsBooster said:

Of course not, anyone can cover their face, it's not exclusive to the religious.

I wouldn't say it's a privilege, as such, either. Just like I don't consider it much of a privilege (in general terms) to wear a shirt.

You and I wouldn't be allowed to wear face concealing headwear unrestrictedly in public, unless the headwear had religious significance attached to it. Religious face concealing headwear is exempt from restrive measures that may prevent you and I from wearing none religious face concealing headwear in certain public places. 

This exemption is most definitely exclusively placed on religious headwear, so I feel you're not being entirely honest with me here.  Care to redress the point, or are you standing by it?

Edited by danot

1 hour ago, danot said:

You and I wouldn't be allowed to wear face concealing headwear unrestrictedly in public, unless the headwear had religious significance attached to it. Religious face concealing headwear is exempt from restrive measures that may prevent you and I from wearing none religious face concealing headwear in certain public places. 

This exemption is most definitely exclusively placed on religious headwear, so I feel you're not being entirely honest with me here.  Care to redress the point, or are you standing by it?

What would prevent you or I from wearing something that conceals our faces?

6 hours ago, staninoodle said:

Religion is just a tool conceived by Rome to control masses of people.

Other emerging states soon followed Romes lead and promoted religion to the masses and so it spread.Its a clever ploy,but the romans were WAY ahead of their time.In times gone by,a god and head of state were almost seen as one.

Still amazed by the fact that all the old roman con tricks are still in use even in this more enlightened age and how state controlled we all still are.A free will and liberty are still almost non existant and its 2019!

You think that religion began with the Romans?

7 hours ago, RootsBooster said:

This is a public (ish) forum, not some sacred ground where opposing opinions are automatically taboo.

Interesting theory but I would respectfully disagree. Opposing opinions are certainly taboo in this forum which is widely regarded as left wing. 

All I'm calling out is the hypocrisy by people. Apparently belittling a person's belief system is fair game but, for example, voting leave, questioning Gender Fluidity, calling out grooming gangs etc is considered wrong..