Why has religion retained its appeal?

Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

30 minutes ago, woodview said:

I was commenting on his 'false hope' comment. If someone gets comfort in a time of need from that faith, then that's a good thing. Just because he, or you or I might believe something different, it gives us no right to diminish something that helps them.

If by "diminishing something that helps them" you mean merely commenting or voicing an opinion on it, then we have every right to do so.

6 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

If by "diminishing something that helps them" you mean merely commenting or voicing an opinion on it, then we have every right to do so.

yes, you do have that right. And I have the right to comment that people should be left to their own devices to do what helps them in their situation.

2 minutes ago, woodview said:

yes, you do have that right. And I have the right to comment that people should be left to their own devices to do what helps them in their situation.

So which part of Cyclone's post was your "no right" comment related to?

1 minute ago, RootsBooster said:

So which part of Cyclone's post was your "no right" comment related to?

'no right' is a turn of phrase in that sentence. You have a right to say what you want. I think it's fairly clear what the sentence meant. If someone is taking solace in religion in a time of need, who are we to take that from them? And for what purpose?

'no right' is a turn of phrase in that sentence. You have a right to say what you want. I think it's fairly clear what the sentence meant. If someone is taking solace in religion in a time of need, who are we to take that from them? And for what purpose?

You still seem to be implying that Cyclone was doing such a thing

Edited by RootsBooster

2 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

You still seem to be implying that Cyclone was doing such a thing

That's the impression I got. He'd have to confirm or deny it himself.

That's the impression I got. He'd have to confirm or deny it himself.

How on Earth would his opinion take their belief away from them?

The bickering and attempts to force a reply end here.

Edited by Groose

Okie dokie, the following post does not require a reply and is a general post, on topic and aimed at the general public.

If a theist tried telling an atheist that there certainly is an afterlife, I wouldn't consider that they are trying to deny the atheist the comfort of his/her lack of belief (the comfort of atheism in this respect is that you likely won't be judged for thought crime or wearing mixed fabrics, upon dying).

Edited by RootsBooster

The darker aspects of religion merely reflect the darker aspects of our true nature. 

With or without efficacious instruments such as religion, we'll never escape humanism.  Our frailties make us human, they're woven into the fabric that religion is cut from and can't be suppressed or denied.  We can't help being what we are, but we can hope for something better. 

4 minutes ago, danot said:

The darker aspects of religion merely reflect the darker aspects of our true nature. 

With or without efficacious instruments such as religion, we'll never escape humanism.  Our frailties make us human, they're woven into the fabric that religion is cut from and can't be suppressed or denied.  We can't help being what we are, but we can hope for something better. 

Have you tried going for a job writing vacuous drivel on the interwebs? I think you should give it some thought. Especially that last sentence, you could write it in a poncy font and lay it across a cheery street urchin playing with a puppy or a photoshopped moon over an idealised white sand beach.

Just now, Halibut said:

Have you tried going for a job writing vacuous drivel on the interwebs? I think you should give it some thought. Especially that last sentence, you could write it in a poncy font and lay it across a cheery street urchin playing with a puppy or a photoshopped moon over an idealised white sand beach.

Why, are they looking to replace you?