Why has religion retained its appeal?

Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

I'm referring mainly to SF intellectuals that use logical reasoning to discredit creationism and Lawrence Krauss is the scientists that I'm referring to. My ealier posts in the last few pages will explain better...

There are many interesting, witty and knowledgeable people on here but intellectuals -no.

The "...use of logical reasoning to discredit creationism..." seems to be confused with the complexities of the quantum theory of which

Lawrence Krauss is just on of thousands of proponent but one who enjoys and attracts the glare of publicity.

The reduction of "creationism" as an explanation for the universe began centuries ago as our understanding accelerates.

Annie. The issue I'm debating now is sheffield forum intellectuals. An ealier poster implied brainwashing is a systematic problem of religion. I would say logicical reasoning is restricting the thinking of intellectuals who can't think beyond the parameters of logical reason. Which may be, but most probably isn't applicable to the properties that enable the universe to exists

I don't swallow whatever every scientist wants me to swallow.

One day red wine is good for you, the next day it's bad for you...

Science isn't a perfect art, but it doesn't claim to be. It is proven and disproven. Science can be criticised and picked apart... which is how it should be!

However, questioning religion is seen as wrong because you upset peoples' feelings and faith. This is where the issue lies.

Science deals with reality, religion/god/spirits/souls deal with faith and feelings which to question is wrong. So it's totally fine to proclaim that the taking of life is OK because 'God' says so... but to question that is '-ist' because it's a person's belief. This is how brainwashing begins.

You can't brainwash someone in to atheism because there's nothing with which to threaten them! 'Do as i say or... nothing will happen because there is no deity to punish you...'

Yeah, really bloody scary is atheism.

If you want to get personal, at least get the spelling right!

!!!redwhine!!!!

:rolleyes:

:hihi:

Not as scarey as been beheaded stoned or run over by a tank

Religion isn't scary in and of itself. The darker aspects of religion only reflect the darker side of human nature. 100 thousand years ago we were fighting over women, but women weren't the problem anymore than religion is now.

Religion isn't scary in and of itself. The darker aspects of religion only reflect the darker side of human nature. 100 thousand years ago we were fighting over women, but women weren't the problem anymore than religion is now.

Whether it's scary or not doesn't really matter tho does it. It's whether it's true or not that should matter.

Whether it's scary or not doesn't really matter tho does it. It's whether it's true or not that should matter.
It's a matter of context. I was responding to religion being scary.

Not as scarey as been beheaded stoned or run over by a tank

I don't swallow whatever every scientist wants me to swallow.

Science isn't a perfect art, but it doesn't claim to be. It is proven and disproven. Science can be criticised and picked apart... which is how it should be!

However, questioning religion is seen as wrong because you upset peoples' feelings and faith. This is where the issue lies.

Science deals with reality, religion/god/spirits/souls deal with faith and feelings which to question is wrong. So it's totally fine to proclaim that the taking of life is OK because 'God' says so... but to question that is '-ist' because it's a person's belief. This is how brainwashing begins.

You can't brainwash someone in to atheism because there's nothing with which to threaten them! 'Do as i say or... nothing will happen because there is no deity to punish you...'

Yeah, really bloody scary is atheism.

Not entirely true- state-imposed atheism was a defining feature of brutal 20th century regimes led by Stalin, Tito, Mao Zedong, and Pol Pot among others, which resulted in the suffering and murder of millions.

Russian Christians alone were executed for their beliefs by atheists intent on purging religion from the Soviet Union.

The Archbishop of Canterbury, who, along with his employer pays very little tax; denounced the gig economy as “evil” and accused Amazon and other tech companies of “leeching off” the U.K. by avoiding taxes.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/universal-credit-zero-hours-contracts-archbishop-canterbury-justin-welby-benefits-amazon-tuc-dwp-a8534136.html

If it's of any interest to folk, the chap who keeps peddling his "7 types of atheism" idea is giving a talk at the Cathedral next month.

Personally I think it's nonsense but I wouldn't mind being there to hear what he has to say about it, hopefully there would be a brief Q&A from the crowd afterwards. 

I can't make it but the link is here

If you were gettingyou food  just from the food banks, and had scraming hungry kids in a  cold house.................might you not turn to the peddlers of hope,,,,,,,,,,,.religion!!! 

3 hours ago, justinelle said:

If you were gettingyou food  just from the food banks, and had scraming hungry kids in a  cold house.................might you not turn to the peddlers of hope,,,,,,,,,,,.religion!!! 

Yeah, don't peddle hope, give up on it, the one thing that keeps you going.

12 hours ago, RootsBooster said:

If it's of any interest to folk, the chap who keeps peddling his "7 types of atheism" idea is giving a talk at the Cathedral next month.

Personally I think it's nonsense but I wouldn't mind being there to hear what he has to say about it, hopefully there would be a brief Q&A from the crowd afterwards. 

I can't make it but the link is here

Fifty years ago an atheist used to get on a soap box outside Manchester Cathedral on Sunday evenings and draw decent crowds. He was VERY entertaining. I saw him more than once.