Poundland V poundworld-business strategies?

After what has happened with poundworld recently, I started to think about how they compare in repect of their business.

I saw a news article explain that the fall in value of the pound had resulted in paying higher prices in China etc. It said this was the main issue.

Presumably Poundland faced the same situation, but maybe they had a different business model that gave them an edge?

Interesting topic, i think it was down to more than just the pound falling tho, maybe more people just shopped at poundland?

if i remember right, in say Redcar, both are quite near each other and i think its poundworld that i liked less so visited hardly, whereas land i would visit everytime i went to redcar.

For me, if i remember them right, poundworld was the one that was small, tight aisles, only one way to go round, cramped and less stock i was into.

It’s like that in Rotherham town centre Mel in respect of being very close together. I would say 60 seconds to walk between them. Also very close together on Rotherham’s retail park (Pargate).

I used to buy from both shops. I probably shopped more at Land. This was because they sold 2 items that I used on a regular basis that were not stocked by poundworld. These were Sony brand AAA batteries and spearmint Listerine.

It will be interesting to see if Pounland begin to stock a wider range now, or just stay the same as they have less competition.

I always preferred Poundworld personally, just had more stuff I wanted.

The last Poundland I was in ran all self-service tills and they were all busy.

Never seen that in Poundworld.

Funny you should mention this, 'cos I just noticed to my horror that you know those multipacks of Walkers crisps that used to be six for a quid two years ago?

Then they were five for a quid a year ago?

Well guess what?

That's right.

They're now just four for a quid.

How are people on limited incomes like mine gonna survive :loopy:

Anyway, back on topic, I used to visit the Poundworld at Parkway retail park from time to time . . . and it was dire. Same brands (or worse brands) than Poundland, but much smaller range and choice. Certainly not worth my while making a separate trip all the way out there for that.

I'd sooner go to Castle Square in town and choose from the two Poundlands (I'm tight) or the other frozen food shops in the immediate area (I'm very tight) or the Wilkos over that side of the city centre (hey, I still have some dignity).

I always preferred Poundworld personally, just had more stuff I wanted.

The last Poundland I was in ran all self-service tills and they were all busy.

Never seen that in Poundworld.

The poundland in Rotherham town centre have mostly self service tills. There was a guy there who I suspected of pocketing the cash if you paid with the right amount. The self serve tills cut down on fiddles I think.

Surely when a buisiness/retailer names and bases it sales on on items @ £1 eventually are going to have problems with inflation alone. For a few years I have thought they can not hope to keep having things manufactured/produced to sell at this price

Maybe they should rename them the £2 shop and in a few years time the £3 shop and in 50 years time the £50 shop.

I understand your point.

Apparently the £1 price is/was a powerful attraction psychologically.

RIP Poundworld, another victim of the tougher trading conditions on the High Street. Savagely undercut by the 99p Shop and plagued by shoplifters of limited ambition. It never stood a chance.

Ah yes the 99p shop. I`d forgotten about them. Are they still going?

Ah yes the 99p shop. I`d forgotten about them. Are they still going?

nah, killed off by the 98p shop :(:rant:

99p shop was bought out by another pound shop - don't recall which. Might have been for 99p for all I know.

The reason why everything a pound has gone pop is alluded to in jokers post. They couldn't raise their prices like say poundstretcher could and didn't shrink their product sizes. Throw in fuel rises and business rate rises and they were borked.