Best Neighbourhoods in/around Sheffield?

Try Darnall, it's not the nicest area, but it has plenty of respectable people, it has local shops, it has a train station that is 5 mins from the centre and it's walking/cycling distance. The houses are good value, and you can always move on in 5 years time.

I am looking to buy in a 2 bed property in and around Sheffield, but my budget of £90k is limited, so I cannot afford a place in my preferred areas of Walkley, Crookes, Dore etc.

I have considered moving further out and getting a train, bus or tram into work. So I am now looking at areas such as Waterthorpe, Mosborough, Swinton, Catcliffe, Brinsworth, Trenton, Mexborough and Bolton-upon-Dearne. Are any of these reasonable places to live in ? I know some of them are not classed as Sheffield but was hoping for some honest opinions

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

I do not drive so must rely on public transport, and would ideally like to be within 30 minutes away from Meadowhall and Sheffield

Have a look at Chesterfield. You can get 2bed terraces for less than 100k, some are walkable from the station which is 10 mins from Sheff. It's a nice town and generally a bit more affluent than some of the S Yorks areas you mention, so I'd guess a better bet in terms of investment potential.

Edited by Bilge

Liam93 - do you work in the Meadowhall area? If so, have you looked at Brinsworth? There are quite a few properties below £100,000 on Right Move. Also have a look at Kimberworth as there are properties within your price range. Both these areas are close to Meadowhall.

Just have a look at the property sale sites, enter your max of £90K and see what takes your eye. There appears to be a few 3 bed terraced ex council house in Westfield in your price range.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

First time buyers have an advantage as they have nothing to sell. If the purchaser has already determined that they can get a mortgage it might be worth looking at price range up to £100,000. The vendor might well accept an offer for a quick sale.

Liam93 - do you work in the Meadowhall area? If so, have you looked at Brinsworth? There are quite a few properties below £100,000 on Right Move. Also have a look at Kimberworth as there are properties within your price range. Both these areas are close to Meadowhall.

Yes I do. I am currently renting in Kimberworth but know that buying a house with a mortgage will reduce my monthly outgoings.

I have looked in Brinsworth and Catcliffe and like the areas but am worried about the fact there is no train or tram from here, so would have to rely solely on the bus

Wombwell and Hemingfield would fit the bill

Yes I do. I am currently renting in Kimberworth but know that buying a house with a mortgage will reduce my monthly outgoings.

I have looked in Brinsworth and Catcliffe and like the areas but am worried about the fact there is no train or tram from here, so would have to rely solely on the bus

Is there a problem with the buses to and from these areas? They are both so close to Meadowhall that you could actually cycle to work if you wish. That would save you a lot of money which would help towards paying your mortgage. If you moved further out and used the train/tram would that not increase your outgoings?

Just check the buses with the syp journey planner.

I am looking to buy in a 2 bed property in and around Sheffield, but my budget of £90k is limited, so I cannot afford a place in my preferred areas of Walkley, Crookes, Dore etc.

I have considered moving further out and getting a train, bus or tram into work. So I am now looking at areas such as Waterthorpe, Mosborough, Swinton, Catcliffe, Brinsworth, Trenton, Mexborough and Bolton-upon-Dearne. Are any of these reasonable places to live in ? I know some of them are not classed as Sheffield but was hoping for some honest opinions

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

I do not drive so must rely on public transport, and would ideally like to be within 30 minutes away from Meadowhall and Sheffield

Try the bottom end of the Wybourn - bought a house for my eldest lad there a couple of years ago and he loves it - absolutely no trouble.

Short walk to the tram for easy access to city centre or Meadowhall.

Is there a problem with the buses to and from these areas? They are both so close to Meadowhall that you could actually cycle to work if you wish. That would save you a lot of money which would help towards paying your mortgage. If you moved further out and used the train/tram would that not increase your outgoings?

No, no problem at all. I like the areas. What are the cycle routes like ? Roughly how much would a taxi cost from Sheffield to Brinsworth as I don’t think my girlfriend would cycle to the area !

You probably need to telephone a few taxi companies up to ask. However, would the 72 bus service Sheffield to Rotherham be suitable? Can’t comment on cycle routes - fond memories of cycling but alas, not now.

Edited by Jomie