Best Neighbourhoods in/around Sheffield?

The South West commuter townships that have grown up around Mosborough, Beighton, Swallownest are OK too.

id agree with those, my old stomping grounds, i'd also add Woodhouse and Handsworth into that

What's woodseats like?

Woodseats is fine. Surrounded by nicer areas I'd say, but fine in itself. It has some very nice, quite grand roads and other streets of more modest terraces. It does tend to attract the Lowedges/Jordanthorpe/Batemoor crowd due to its pubs though which means it can get a bit lary at times.

id agree with those, my old stomping grounds, i'd also add Woodhouse and Handsworth into that

Woodhouse and Handsworth not so good anymore.

Personally if I was looking to buy a house I would be commuting to Sheffield and not living there !

A lot better places to live near by.

The South West commuter townships that have grown up around Mosborough, Beighton, Swallownest are OK too.

South East, surely?

It depends whether you want to be near to the city centre or not and whether you are bothered about school catchments.

I'd go for the South West quadrant extended a bit at each end (roughly from Woodseats clockwise round to Walkley), no more than 2 miles from the centre.

If you want to be further out then there are loads of other options too depending on what you want. These options might even include parts of neighbouring local authorities if they suit your commuting pattern and lifestyle.

Nothing wrong with wincobank, I lived there for 10 years before moving to Scholes Village in Rotherham,

And again nothing wrong with where we live now in Rotherham

What's your budget? The general consensus among the young professional crowd (cue stone throwing) is from 6 to 10 o'clock if you see Sheffield as a clock face. Basically, the south-west of the city, starting at Meersbrook and ending at Walkley.

Only if you forget about Wadsley, Worrall, Oughtibridge and Grenoside.

---------- Post added 27-01-2018 at 10:03 ----------

Totley, Ecclesall, Whirlow, Fulwood, Ranmoor, Bents Green, Greystones & Bradway are lovely districts, Stannington, Firth Park, Darnall, Firshill, Chapeltown, Stocksbridge and Wicker are high crime areas and to be avoided.

http://dclgapps.communities.gov.uk/imd/idmap.html

I've never checked Stocksbridge before, but this would suggest that you're totally wrong.

And the same for Stannington.

---------- Post added 27-01-2018 at 10:07 ----------

If the OP could expand on what it is she wants from an area, and be more specific about the budget rather than just the deposit, then people could give more useful advice.

South East, surely?

You are absolutely correct max, that was my mistake.

Nicer Places

Dore

Whirlolw

Abbeydale Millhouses Beaucheif

Ecclesall

Banner Cross Greystones

Nether Green

Ranmoor Endcliffe Bradfield Crookes Sharrow Vale

ParkHead Totley Wharnecliffe side Fulwood

Etc

AVOID

Sharrow Pitsmoor Firth Park Manor Arbourthorne

Southey Parson Cross Broomhall

Nether Edge Abbeydale road Gleadless

Low edges wincobank Richmond stradbroke rotherham attercliffe etc etc

i would avoid the upper half more than some of the areas on the bottom as they are full of people up there own bum.

in my oinion most of sheffield is a hole and makes me laugh seeing places like sharrow as a nice place to libe as the place is a dusky looking hole

Edited by Starlc

That's just some reverse snobbery with a bit of self hate thrown in.

My son is currently living in rented accomodation in Kimberworth, and is looking to move closer to Sheffield. It must be somewhere with good transport links to the Meadowhall/Ikea areas of Sheffield.

He has a limited budget and is looking for a 2 bed house, any recommendations ?

I have heard that Brinsworth is a nice area,but I'm not sure on transport from here, as I know there is no railway station.

He has also seen property in Wath-upon-Dearne, but I feel this may be too remote from Sheffield

Might be worth looking at the bottom end of Wybourn - anywhere below Maltravers Road. My lad has been living there for the last couple of years without any problems. Just a few minutes walk to the tram which will take you straight to Meadowhall.