Best Neighbourhoods in/around Sheffield?

Could someone tell me what the nice areas to live in Sheffield are and the ones to avoid? Thanks

What's your budget? The general consensus among the young professional crowd (cue stone throwing) is from 6 to 10 o'clock if you see Sheffield as a clock face. Basically, the south-west of the city, starting at Meersbrook and ending at Walkley.

Thanks for your reply. It's a low budget, probably need to rent for a while until I get my money through, then I've got a £50,000 deposit

I’ve been renting in Nether Edge for last year and have bought a house in the area just recently. I love the area. Nice village feel and just a mile or two from the city. Good pubs and cafes within walking distance. £50k deposit will get you a decent place here

Totley, Ecclesall, Whirlow, Fulwood, Ranmoor, Bents Green, Greystones & Bradway are lovely districts, Stannington, Firth Park, Darnall, Firshill, Chapeltown, Stocksbridge and Wicker are high crime areas and to be avoided.

Totley, Ecclesall, Whirlow, Fulwood, Ranmoor, Bents Green, Greystones & Bradway are lovely districts, Stannington, Firth Park, Darnall, Firshill, Chapeltown, Stocksbridge and Wicker are high crime areas and to be avoided.

contrary to most opinion's given on this forum are wrong eg totley has, lets say

a colourful crime record to mention just one so called des risers

http://www.ukcrimestats.com/Subdivisions/MTW/9304/

compare with the worst part of the manor

https://www.streetcheck.co.uk/crime/s21wg

Edited by kidley

contrary to most opinion's given on this forum are wrong eg totley has, lets say

a colourful crime record to mention just one so called des risers

http://www.ukcrimestats.com/Subdivisions/MTW/9304/

compare with the worst part of the manor

http://www.ukcrimestats.com/Neighbourhood/Metropolitan_Police_Service/Manor_Park

That link is Manor Park in East London. London as in not Sheffield at all.

Setting that aside, are you saying Totley in Sheffield is a crime-ridden inner-city area with multiple deprivation? Or is that some other Totley somewhere else in the world?

The Totley I know is very dull indeed and hence not desirable at all for me personally, but only in the same way as, say Lodge Moor or Whirlow.

That link is Manor Park in East London. London as in not Sheffield at all.

Setting that aside, are you saying Totley in Sheffield is a crime-ridden inner-city area with multiple deprivation? Or is that some other Totley somewhere else in the world?

The Totley I know is very dull indeed and hence not desirable at all for me personally, but only in the same way as, say Lodge Moor or Whirlow.

You are quite right Bilge my mistake, now rectified

i would not use those words you are using about Totley but it certainly is not as crime free as most people think.

take the first month for Dore And Totley, its by no means the worst one

Could someone tell me what the nice areas to live in Sheffield are and the ones to avoid? Thanks

Nicer Places

Dore

Whirlolw

Abbeydale Millhouses Beaucheif

Ecclesall

Banner Cross Greystones

Nether Green

Ranmoor Endcliffe Bradfield Crookes Sharrow Vale

ParkHead Totley Wharnecliffe side Fulwood

Etc

AVOID

Sharrow Pitsmoor Firth Park Manor Arbourthorne

Southey Parson Cross Broomhall

Nether Edge Abbeydale road Gleadless

Low edges wincobank Richmond stradbroke rotherham attercliffe etc etc

Nicer Places

Dore

Whirlolw

Ecclesall

Banner Cross Greystones

Nether Green

Etc

AVOID

Why mention Rotherham, the OP is asking about nice areas in Sheffield. But now you mention it, there are some lovely areas to live in Rotherham. Typical Sheffielder assumption, that everywhere surrounding Sheffield is a dump.

The problem with Sheffield, and many other areas alike, you are never too far away from problem locations.

Edited by verona

Nicer Places

Dore

Whirlolw

Ecclesall

Banner Cross Greystones

Nether Green

Etc

AVOID

If the defining aspect is where you would be *most comfortable in general* for a lone woman or child to walk alone at 9pm then that list is a good guide.

Most people are OK in most places in the above list but there are pockets of very good and very bad in all the AVOID areas. There are pockets of bad in Sharrowvale in the NICER PLACES but I'd say none of the others but be aware that Abbeydale isn't Abbeydale Rd.

If you are looking for lifestyle factors, the further to the edge of the city you go the quieter the pace of life and the higher the environmental quality of life and the more expensive the housing. The closer to the city centre the more things there are to spend your money on and the cheaper the housing.

The northern suburbs beyond the big council estates are generally nicer too, Grenoside, Chapeltown, Ecclesfield, Burncross, High Green, Stocksbridge, Deepcar, and they are substantially cheaper than the west and S West part of Sheffield.

The South West commuter townships that have grown up around Mosborough, Beighton, Swallownest are OK too.