How to save money?

I had a neighbour that always claimed to be skint, but hired a window cleaner, and a wheelie bin cleaner. They used baby wipes, kitchen towel and tissues.

In my opinion all of the above could be cut out if you wanted to save money

Consuming less would involve not buying as many things, does that mean that we should just leave our money in the bank?

You could always use it to help other people...

If you have a vee neck pullover and it gets mucky turn it back to front and people think you also have a crew neck.

But don't forget to wear a jacket. :)

If you have a vee neck pullover and it gets mucky turn it back to front and people think you also have a crew neck.

:hihi: Until you turn around or take your coat off lol

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 18:20 ----------

Save money on expensive clock/watch batteries by only putting the batteries in when you want to know the time.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 18:22 ----------

But don't forget to wear a jacket. :)

Better still just buy crew necks lol

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 18:24 ----------

Consuming less would involve not buying as many things, does that mean that we should just leave our money in the bank?

Yeah right, good way to start a recession.:)

I reuse tea leaves. I don't use tea bags, or I'd reuse them too.

In terms of 'penny pinching', I also literally penny pinch (and pound pinch too). I have 2 saving pots, for which I empty the change out of my purse every few days. Small change goes in a pot that is emptied through a change machine if I'm running short of money and the pound coins go into my 'times of plenty' pot, which is emptied into a hidey hole bank account that is used to buy stuff that I can't usually afford once it's built up into a decent amount. A bit of change here and there isn't really that noticeable when you're taking it from your purse, but one year I paid nearly £1000 into my bank account from the times of plenty pot.

My bank account does a similar thing, it rounds up any debit cards purchases to the nearest pound and then drops a few pence at a time in my savings account. I don't really notice it, and it slowly builds up my savings :)

My biggest thing for saving money I've found is meal planning and taking a packup to work. And having multiple bank accounts, one for bills and essentials, and one for spending money

Save some, invest the rest. Future prosperity of the country depends on investment, does it not?

I suppose it depends on how much you need to save money. Back in the days of Harold Wilson's utopia we were so hard up that we used teabags twice and then.....blah blah blah..

Let's not forget MacMillan's 'you've never had it so good' when we were all living in slums and sharing a toilet in the yard. It wasn't tea leaves we were re-using!

And the glorious days of Dear Margaret when she stopped school milk for the very young kids forcing extra cost on to parents. Small potatoes compared with stripping the country of Industry, jobs and being responsible for the mess of a society [i won't say community because she said there was no such thing!] that we have today.

Cameron? Hague? Duncan-Smith? Has the calibre ever been so high?

And let's not forget the wonderful, Sheffield's own Mr. Marvellous more twists and turns than Hamilton at Imola..... Nick Clegg Deputy 'Dawg' PM. Student loans anyone?

But the icing on the cake has to be Mother Teresa May and her banjo playing deliverance of Austerity and a fudged, faffed, failing, floundering, <removed> awful Brexit.

Now Harold can put that in his pipe [bless him] and smoke it.

Edited by nikki-red

I love a bargain, however over the years I have made many really good buys in respect of goods that I didn’t really need. I now have a good ponder before I buy anything, I even walk away and think it over, I usually work out that, bargain that it is, I can live without it. I’ve been retired for just over 8 years and still have unworn ‘bargain’ shoes in their boxes purchased from Jones’s on Pinstone Street, during lunch time boredom walk arounds.

So If you want to save money, stop spending it on things that you don’t need. ;)

I suppose it depends on how much you need to save money. Back in the days of Harold Wilson's utopia we were so hard up that we used teabags twice and then.....blah blah blah..

Let's not forget MacMillan's 'you've never had it so good' when we were all living in slums and sharing a toilet in the yard. It wasn't tea leaves we were re-using!

And the glorious days of Dear Margaret when she stopped school milk for the very young kids forcing extra cost on to parents. Small potatoes compared with stripping the country of Industry, jobs and being responsible for the mess of a society [i won't say community because she said there was no such thing!] that we have today.

Cameron? Hague? Duncan-Smith? Has the calibre ever been so high?

And let's not forget the wonderful, Sheffield's own Mr. Marvellous more twists and turns than Hamilton at Imola..... Nick Clegg Deputy 'Dawg' PM. Student loans anyone?

But the icing on the cake has to be Mother Teresa May and her banjo playing deliverance of Austerity and a fudged, faffed, failing, floundering, f-ing awful Brexit.

Now Harold can put that in his pipe [bless him] and smoke it.

Mc millan, Thatcher, Clegg, Cameron. Blah blah blah. Yes. I reckon they are all out for themselves.

Yes it was good for Mc Millan, and you just had to laugh at Margret Thatchers care in the community or you would have cried. Cameron did away with index linked savings accounts, shamefull. Mr Clegg costing me more money every time I have to buy bin-liners now whereas before I used carrier bags. I just hated old Harold more than the rest.

Edited by nikki-red

It's not just about saving money though is it? We all have to consume less, and recycle more if we want to save the planet. This idea that we can have continuous, never ending growth will be the end of us.

i fear it is too late. It could not be more blatantly obvious that we are destroying our own habitat and yet we are doing almost nothing about it.

---------- Post added 02-08-2018 at 16:19 ----------

Mr Clegg costing me more money every time I have to buy bin-liners now whereas before I used carrier bags..

I think it is just that, nothing else, that is pushing so many into poverty.

Edited by TimmyR

i fear it is too late. It could not be more blatantly obvious that we are destroying our own habitat and yet we are doing almost nothing about it.

---------- Post added 02-08-2018 at 16:19 ----------

I think it is just that, nothing else, that is pushing so many into poverty.

Only 5p for a carrier bag. Only this amount per day. only this amount per week, only this amount per month, etc. A lovely word isn't it, "only", but onlys mount up and I have only seen onlys used, when it's money that people are taking from from you or me or asking for money from you and me. Those 5ps would be better kept in my pocket than going out of it.

Edited by spilldig