How to save money?

We knew how to save money in the 50s, mainly because we hardly had any.:D A couple of big ones were everybody sharing the same bathwater on a Friday night and using the Daily Herald to wipe yer arse on.LOL

Only 5p for a carrier bag. Only this amount per day. only this amount per week, only this amount per month, etc. A lovely word isn't it, "only", but onlys mount up and I have only seen onlys used, when it's money that people are taking from from you or me or asking for money from you and me. Those 5ps would be better kept in my pocket than going out of it.

so reuse them and you don't have to spend the 5ps. I mean that is the whole point after all.

so reuse them and you don't have to spend the 5ps. I mean that is the whole point after all.

All that is happening now is that we who disposed of them properly are paying for those who didn't.

I used to reuse them as binliners. All Clegg has achieved is that now I use actual binliners which means even more plastic being dumped because they are bigger than Carrier bags.

I don't really see how he could have been that bothered about the environment either because what he should have done is banned them altogether and go with the system I have found when we have shopped in America where you get paper bags. I don't think the supermarkets are bothered about the environment either because they are always trying to sell me one even when I have already got one in my hand.

---------- Post added 03-08-2018 at 10:34 ----------

We knew how to save money in the 50s, mainly because we hardly had any.:D A couple of big ones were everybody sharing the same bathwater on a Friday night and using the Daily Herald to wipe yer arse on.LOL

Too right.

I just hated old Harold more than the rest.

Harold Wilson left us a legacy of the Open University.

John Major, for example, gave us the National Lottery.

Ted Heath became a name under investigation in a paedophile ring.

Jeremy Thorpe was a practicing homosexual, illegal at the time, who instigated the attempted murder of his lover.

And you 'hated' Wilson the most?

There's ample reason to re-think.

Edited by nikki-red

I use both sides of toilet paper.

Do you use them for jotting down notes first?

Pay with cash, instead with debit/credit card whenever is that possible. You wouldn't believe the psychological effect of holding money in your hand instead of plastic card. And avoid online shopping, it can trick you in the same way.

I'm afraid I have to disagree.

I don't carry cash with me at all, so if I need to pay cash for an item at the local shops, I'll have to withdraw a minimum of £10 from the cash machine, pay for the item, then I have several pounds of change on my person that I will inevitably spend very quickly.

On the other hand, if I pay with a card instead, I'll spend the amound for that item only and have no spare change to waste on other items.

I'm very financially disciplined. . . most of the time!

I'm afraid I have to disagree.

I don't carry cash with me at all, so if I need to pay cash for an item at the local shops, I'll have to withdraw a minimum of £10 from the cash machine, pay for the item, then I have several pounds of change on my person that I will inevitably spend very quickly.

On the other hand, if I pay with a card instead, I'll spend the amound for that item only and have no spare change to waste on other items.

I'm very financially disciplined. . . most of the time!

Fair do! But remember like with all things, If you don't use it, you'll lose it. If enough other people follow your example the old folks, people without bank accs. etc. etc. will also lose the ability to hold cash in hand when govts. discontinue cash (which is very much on their wish list).

Although I have cards, locally I only use cash. For me cards are for stuff from other countries and for emergencies.

I do. But what good has it done. I am disposing of more now with the binliners than the carrier bags ?

Harold Wilson left us a legacy of the Open University.

John Major, for example, gave us the National Lottery.

Ted Heath became a name under investigation in a paedophile ring.

Jeremy Thorpe was a practicing homosexual, illegal at the time, who instigated the attempted murder of his lover.

And you 'hated' Wilson the most?

There's ample reason to re-think.

Only because the Wilson government was the only one that took half of peoples wages in stoppages, but as you say I think there were some bad uns.

Edited by nikki-red

Only because the Wilson government was the only one that took half of peoples wages in stoppages, but as you say I think there were some bad uns.

We are currently losing half our wages to this conservative government in tax and stealth taxes. Difference is, we no longer have the services we had in Wilson's day.

Edited by nikki-red

Fair do! But remember like with all things, If you don't use it, you'll lose it. If enough other people follow your example the old folks, people without bank accs. etc. etc. will also lose the ability to hold cash in hand when govts. discontinue cash (which is very much on their wish list).

Although I have cards, locally I only use cash. For me cards are for stuff from other countries and for emergencies.

A debit card is the same as cash anyway, so what is all the fuss about. You don't have to go into debt to use a plastic card. I use my debit card for almost everything these days, so does my wife. There is no need to carry cash these days, but by the same token, one doesn't have to use a credit card either, unless they don't have enough on hand for their purchase. I never use a credit card but I also never carry much cash either.

We are currently losing half our wages to this conservative government in tax and stealth taxes. Difference is, we no longer have the services we had in Wilson's day.

20% now 50% then. Stealth tax doesn't come anywhere near making up the difference.

Edited by nikki-red

A debit card is the same as cash anyway, so what is all the fuss about. You don't have to go into debt to use a plastic card. I use my debit card for almost everything these days, so does my wife. There is no need to carry cash these days, but by the same token, one doesn't have to use a credit card either, unless they don't have enough on hand for their purchase. I never use a credit card but I also never carry much cash either.

The trouble with a debit card is that one bad terminal and your account is breached and drained.

At least with a credit card the card company takes the hit.

Credit cards aren't just for purchases you can't instantly afford. I have a Tesco one, pay it off every time I get a text notification its reached £200, so don't pay a penny for its use or in interest. And I get a fiver in Tesco vouchers each month too.