The 8oz Burger Co on Leopold Street closed

Been told that Proove (the Neopolitan pizzeria at Broomhill) are opening a branch at Centertainment.

Came to Sheffield in 1990, and the second night we went to Candytown. Nonna's did not exist (opened around 1995-1996).

There was a gorgeous restaurant in West Street, called Neptune's - run by Richard Smith. Closed within a year, and he went downmarket with Artisan in Crosspool and then Thyme (only one to survive).

Bws

MV

Where was Nonna's and what year(s) ?

---------- Post added 23-07-2018 at 22:44 ----------

Chinese restaurants, Candytown, London Rd & Wong Ting, Matida St have been around for years.

If we're talking Chinese restaurants here, then Zing Vaa on the Moor has been around since like 1960, if not before !

Edited by St Petre
Add

---------- Post added 23-07-2018 at 22:44 ----------

[/color]

Nonna’s opened in 1995-96 in the same premises the have now, but was only 2 shop windows.

Whilst there are many long-established Sheffield restaurants continuing to trade profitably, Nonna's isn't one of them. It went into liquidation in 2010, owning suppliers a lot of money, and continued trading under a new company.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/whats-on/food-and-drink/nonna-s-debts-hit-163-330-000-1-857883

Whilst there are many long-established Sheffield restaurants continuing to trade profitably, Nonna's isn't one of them. It went into liquidation in 2010, owning suppliers a lot of money, and continued trading under a new company.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/whats-on/food-and-drink/nonna-s-debts-hit-163-330-000-1-857883

yes? and your point is?

I’ve not been in Nonna’s for over ten years, it was the place to be seen, on a good spot, expensive but very nice. If it’s struggling where it is, on a prime Ecclesall Road site, someone is doing something wrong. :confused:

yes? and your point is?

This geezer has a point.

I’ve not been in Nonna’s for over ten years, it was the place to be seen, on a good spot, expensive but very nice. If it’s struggling where it is, on a prime Ecclesall Road site, someone is doing something wrong. :confused:

This geezer has a point.

you clearly have never been in the catering or hospitality business or had to fork out for the rent and rates on Ecclesall road never mind all the rest of the bureaucratic red tape thats come along in the last 10 years or so with regards min wages , workers rights, compulsory pensions for all????

and dont forget this is sheffield where folks for the most part eating out is a competition to see who can get the most for the cheapest price?? so when a venue like Nonnas (by the way i dont personally like the place too stuck up) puts its prices up to take in all the increases and a little profit everyone screams rip off? you cant win. so no the geezer doesnt have a point there are plenty struggling on ecclesall road right now and countrywide in catering.

i never went to the leopold Burger co but i did have an italian coffee bar/deli on leopld st so i know what i am talking about. i sold up just in time.

you clearly have never been in the catering or hospitality business or had to fork out for the rent and rates on Ecclesall road never mind all the rest of the bureaucratic red tape thats come along in the last 10 years or so with regards min wages , workers rights, compulsory pensions for all????

and dont forget this is sheffield where folks for the most part eating out is a competition to see who can get the most for the cheapest price?? so when a venue like Nonnas (by the way i dont personally like the place too stuck up) puts its prices up to take in all the increases and a little profit everyone screams rip off? you cant win. so no the geezer doesnt have a point there are plenty struggling on ecclesall road right now and countrywide in catering.

i never went to the leopold Burger co but i did have an italian coffee bar/deli on leopld st so i know what i am talking about. i sold up just in time.

So you failed due to workers rights, the minimum wage and pensions?

If the NMW, workers rights and compulsory pensions are the reasons for businesses struggling to survive on Eccy Road, then they don’t deserve to succeed. I worked on Eccy Road for 5 years in the 80’s, I emphasise the word ‘work’, you can’t just open the doors and do a ‘Field of Dreams’. ;)

If the NMW, workers rights and compulsory pensions are the reasons for businesses struggling to survive on Eccy Road, then they don’t deserve to succeed. I worked on Eccy Road for 5 years in the 80’s, I emphasise the word ‘work’, you can’t just open the doors and do a ‘Field of Dreams’. ;)

He should open an Eel, Pie and Mash shop. See how that goes on Eccy Road?