Why do buses have Timetables if they aren't going to stick to them?

Sheffield bus system moves in and out of city centre, many places you just see people get on going blablablablabla with driver and bus don't get anywhere. The city I lived before had a checkboard like route making all journeys easier and simple and didn't require long conversations with driver.

A genuine question from an oldie. In my seventies now, I can just about manage to go upstairs on a double decker, but I'd rather not. As a young person, I nearly always travelled on the upper deck. It was encouraged and considered good practice, so that those less mobile could sit downstairs. Nowadays I travel frequently on buses which become packed downstairs, but fairly empty on top.

Why don't the more agile travellers use the top deck as a matter of course?

Top decks of buses in my experience are associated with scroates and chavs, so I prefer to avoid them and use the lower deck. I hope this is OK?

The other day I was standing in town using the tracking app. Bus went to due and at the same time an out of service bus went past. Suspicious I got on the next bus to the next stop to see if my bus was there.

It was, and it had been told to run empty to Arundel gate to make time up.

As for timetables. Don't bother with them, use one of the apps on your phone to track them, like some of the buses in town. Sometimes I get strange looks for not getting on the bus in front cos I know there's one 2 minutes behind that's always going to be quieter.

The 95s take their rest at Commonside...even if the previous three buses didn't turn up they still adhere to their personal timetable, ignoring the fact that people have been waiting for an hour to get on their bus.

Not really that drivers issue if others haven't turned up, and their entitled to a break just like everyone else! Also they may have to have their legal rest break

Edited by haddy
Mistake

Commonside is a timing point, so the driver has to wait there until the departure time. Or you will get people complaining that they left early and they could get sacked.

Just like any job, the driver has responsibilities that he has to follow as per their contract of employment.

It is hilarious how passengers, drivers, employers, keep pointing their fingers at each other with silly excuses to get out of a stupid situation.

Having said this, busses (at least many I use) have improved and don't show up 4 in a row after a long wait compared to 3 years ago and before.

Now buses wait longer at some places but I must admit that is better than waiting 20 minutes for a full bus and four empty ones behind it bumper to bumper.

Edited by dutch

Ive noticed since both companies have had the newer buses that the braking seems a lot harsher than previously, which isnt good for people with chronic pain. I find i am bracing myself for the driver to brake.

Ive noticed since both companies have had the newer buses that the braking seems a lot harsher than previously, which isnt good for people with chronic pain. I find i am bracing myself for the driver to brake.

That s because of the regen systems. Again blame the government = council on its silly rules on emissions. These bus cost around 15% morethan the old type and obviously the costs are passed to the end user.

As they are legally obliged to do.

---------- Post added 20-07-2018 at 21:56 ----------

Mostly written by drivers who dont know how to operate their buses correctly.

---------- Post added 20-07-2018 at 21:59 ----------

Or maybe some countries dont need or cant accommodate double deck buses. Germany seem to cope well enough with them. Others prefer articulated buses but cyclists dont like them here.

---------- Post added 20-07-2018 at 22:00 ----------

Who on earth would use a taxi? certainly not me as long as I have the use of my legs.

"Who on earth would use a taxi? certainly not me as long as I have the use of my legs"

What an odd thing to say!

Shall we start with....people who want to travel distances that are too far to walk?!

Buses not running to timetable? As a regular bus user where do I start?

Motorists refusing to let buses pull out of side roads.

Sheer amount of traffic on route.

Roadworks.

Idiot passengers chucking a tenner at the driver for a £1.50 fare.

Idiot passengers who have strolled past an interchange ticket top up machine at some point during the day but top it up on the bus.

Idiot passengers who complain that the bus is late then spend an age trying to find pass/ticket/money etc when bus turns up.

Idiot passengers who ask if bus goes past ?????????? every single morning.

Non-English speaking passengers who haven't got a clue what to ask for.

It's the passengers and other road users that make the timetables pointless.

Oh, and the new craze of pressing the bell ….. then only when the bus has stopped …… strolling from the rear upstairs seat, down the stairs (gently) and off the bus as slowly as possible. Preferably in a baseball cap.

Edited by mad-dad

Buses not running to timetable? As a regular bus user where do I start?

Motorists refusing to let buses pull out of side roads.

Sheer amount of traffic on route.

Roadworks.

Idiot passengers chucking a tenner at the driver for a £1.50 fare.

Idiot passengers who have strolled past an interchange ticket top up machine at some point during the day but top it up on the bus.

Idiot passengers who complain that the bus is late then spend an age trying to find pass/ticket/money etc when bus turns up.

Idiot passengers who ask if bus goes past ?????????? every single morning.

Non-English speaking passengers who haven't got a clue what to ask for.

It's the passengers and other road users that make the timetables pointless.

Oh, and the new craze of pressing the bell ….. then only when the bus has stopped …… strolling from the rear upstairs seat, down the stairs (gently) and off the bus as slowly as possible. Preferably in a baseball cap.

I just wish there was a 'like' button on this forum - mad-dad has just summed it up nicely, especially the points I've made bold in the quote.

Some of the things though are what should happen. Nobody should get up until the bus has stopped due to safety.

Other road users have equal rights as any bus of vehicle so they don't have to let them out if they don't want to! Maybe if bus drivers were more polite people may let more of them go!

Not everyone Carey's change. I use a bus once in a blue and so have no idea of price and I pay with card almost everywhere and so if need money it will always be a note from a atm so always a minimum of £10. Simple solution is if buses were like London and where cashless.