Why do buses have Timetables if they aren't going to stick to them?

My mother passed a driver with a tenner in her hand ready to pay and the driver waved her through cause he didn't have the time to process all payments at the front door..

On 28/01/2019 at 06:46, busdriver1 said:

Really? I have worked in the area of claims against bus companies and its scary. Centre door claims are one of the highest in London where they still maintain this outmoded system. But there again, I have no doubt that in certain parts of Europe etc etc etc ..........yawn.

Oh and yes, in a commercial environment like we have here there is a responsibility to collect fares unlike in Europe where buses are run as a burden to all irrespective of use.

I wonder at times why our country is so attractive to foreigners if it is so bad.

"Unline in Europe"?

Are you claiming that all of Europe run state operated buses?

Guest busdriver1
23 hours ago, Cyclone said:

"Unline in Europe"?

Are you claiming that all of Europe run state operated buses?

The vast majority of Buses in Europe are in fact state run and operated under contract. Some of those contracts are held by British companies but most are held by state controlled operators. 

2 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

The vast majority of Buses in Europe are in fact state run and operated under contract. Some of those contracts are held by British companies but most are held by state controlled operators. 

It's actually very hard to fact check that.  I can find references to private bus services in France in addition to state run ones, and similar in Germany.  So there's no blanket ban on running private bus services.

What's your source that they are state managed?

In France particularly it's noted how poor the rural bus service is, with buses only running at the start and end of the day typically, no buses in between, so not exactly selling the dream there!

Italy it appears have privately run buses.

And Spain appears to have a competitive private market for bus operation.

Ah, update on Germany

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flixbus

Private and the largest operator of buses in Germany (71% by mileage).

Also expanding into France apparently

Present in France since May 2015, the bus company Flixbus has grown exponentially, now offering 130 destinations and 60 bus lines. Flixbus has recently taken over the continental network of the British Megabus, further expanding its network of bus lines in France and Europe.

So whilst SNCF do run some services, they don't have a monopoly, and outside the major cities they offer a poor service.

Yeah, I think I'm happy to confirm that the majority of buses in every major european country I just checked are not state run, with France being the one with the most state run services.

Guest busdriver1
21 hours ago, Cyclone said:

It's actually very hard to fact check that.  I can find references to private bus services in France in addition to state run ones, and similar in Germany.  So there's no blanket ban on running private bus services.

What's your source that they are state managed?

In France particularly it's noted how poor the rural bus service is, with buses only running at the start and end of the day typically, no buses in between, so not exactly selling the dream there!

Italy it appears have privately run buses.

And Spain appears to have a competitive private market for bus operation.

Ah, update on Germany

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flixbus

Private and the largest operator of buses in Germany (71% by mileage).

Also expanding into France apparently

So whilst SNCF do run some services, they don't have a monopoly, and outside the major cities they offer a poor service.

Yeah, I think I'm happy to confirm that the majority of buses in every major european country I just checked are not state run, with France being the one with the most state run services.

Congratulations on finding what you think is your answer. 

7 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Feel free to prove me wrong.

Happens to me all the time when explaining such things. Sheffield is Sheffield and looking any further is a form of dropping out.

Few western buses are state run now. But many states have a very tight grip on how these private companies are run.

Edited by dutch

Now compare, I’ve just returned from Berlin last weekend which is a far far bigger city than Sheffield and during a 4 day stay we caught about 8 buses various U and S bahn trains and everything was bang on time to the dot not one mode of transport we aimed to do was late very efficient and reliable unlike here with good old stagecoach and Worst Bus

Germans are very accurate it's in their culture.

Monday always seems to be the worst day catching a bus early for work,with loads topping there cards on buses,and the drivers not able to keep up with the demand,that is why i would like the option of topping up your card on the internet,drivers now have buses that switch engines off,so slows the journey more,why? can"t First & Stage Coach work with Paypal to make it able to Top cards up and take the pressure of drivers being late All the Time,then more people will have more trust in buses getting them to work on time,1a late again and nothing done to improve the service Why?

The Buses service at Herdings was not correctly again this morning,as the 1a was late again,an it looks like a person must have got feed up with this so unreliable bus service from First and not being able to get work on time,had altercation with the Driver a throw something at him,First should take this blame for such a rubbish bus service in the Mornings,and making people late for work,we used to have two buses in the morning the 56 & 1a and they were reliable,then First remove the 56 buses and now the 1a is so unreliable and late nearly everyday,there is no use ringing up at complaining at First as they alaways come back with Rubbish answers,and nothing gets done to improve the 1a Bus Times

I think the 95 service is shocking, many buses disappear into the ether at around 3pm (rumour has it they all go and do school services) and there has been many a time when a supposed every 10 minute servie doesn't turn up for 30 minutes.

Plus....why do they insist on putting single deckers on at rush hour, but empty double deckers on a Sunday (that will be because the double deckers during the week have been taken off to do school runs)

Anyway....my main point of tonights rant is the congestion on High St. It only takes one 52 bus driver to be slightly awry and every single bus behind them has to wait and becomes 10 minutes late...so by the time the blockage has gone and your bus finally can get to the stop the next bus speeds on past empty whilst the first is dealing with a massive queue.

I saw a whole array of different vehicles driving up High St today, white vans, private cars, idiots trying to reverse into Fargate etc. Make it bus only