Why do buses have Timetables if they aren't going to stick to them?

The writer of First bus timetable has been nominated for the Man Booker prize for his great work of fiction. :hihi:

It's "very annoying" if the bus is early so it waits? Surely you'd be very annoyed if it was early to your stop and you missed it because of that!

How can a bunch of electrons get very annoyed?

Just accept it and keep to reality.

We don't live in a fantasy world where buses go tick tock like your watch.

Edited by dutch

When you arriving for Work nearly every day using a First Bus,can we make a Claim for some money back off the company,like Train customers can if they are late,First as got worse running the 1A bus from Heardings to Ecclesfield in the Morning and late to regular at Work,and do nothing to Improve it service

Trains shouldn't be affected by things like traffic..so it should be much easier to run to schedule...buses can get stuck just like a car or taxi...so wouldn't think you'd be able to claim..

My dad being a bus driver, I get to hear a lot about why buses are late, and various other stories. Timetables are a rough guide as to when a bus is supposed to turn up at that stop, it isn't going to be exact, because of various factors, traffic being one, passenger numbers, breakdowns, human error, etc.

Some of the roads in Sheffield are also very bad for buses to get through on, the narrow ones being some of the worst, especially in winter, which is why a lot of bus routes are stopped in winter, some of the roads they just can't get up, they don't have the power, and in other cases, it would be a massive risk to the driver, passengers, and other road users.

Then you have passenger problems, where someone might come on, fish around the purse, or pockets for money, or my favourite, argue with the driver about the bus route, I remember this happening, and it's just a massive waste of time, not the fault of the driver that a passenger is giving lip. And if you end up with more passengers than normal getting on or off at a stop, then it slows the bus down.

Breakdowns also happen, which takes a bus off the route, so they will try and either pull another bus off a less populated route to take over for the bus that broke down, or the bus behind has to pick up the slack.

Human error can occur, where the driver does make a mistake, I have been on buses where the driver has forgotten that I rang the bell, doesn't happen often, and it's a bit inconvenient, but it happens, we all make mistakes.

You do also have some drivers who do just take the ****, but I believe they are few and far between, for the most part, they are just trying to do a job, just like everyone else.

Catching the 1a from Herdings to Ecclesfield the past two days as been really shocking,you get to the Bus stop at Newfield Green with a Electric Time Table inside the Stop,and the 1a should be there at 5.10 a.m but Wednesday it Turned up at 5.20 a.m then the Bus Drives drove 10 miles per hour all the time,so was 10 minutes late for Work,Today again the Bus was late but the Driver never tried make up for lost time,and when i got of the bus the Driver said "I am only 4 minutes Late,with a Smile in is Face,Do the Drivers ever get punished for being late No that"s why the Love making people late for work and something to laugh about with the other Drivers

What is the point of the bus stop monitors. Your bus will be ..10 mins, then 5 mins, 2mins, then 8 mins then your bus ETA disappears!

Catching the 1a from Herdings to Ecclesfield the past two days as been really shocking,you get to the Bus stop at Newfield Green with a Electric Time Table inside the Stop,and the 1a should be there at 5.10 a.m but Wednesday it Turned up at 5.20 a.m then the Bus Drives drove 10 miles per hour all the time,so was 10 minutes late for Work,Today again the Bus was late but the Driver never tried make up for lost time,and when i got of the bus the Driver said "I am only 4 minutes Late,with a Smile in is Face,Do the Drivers ever get punished for being late No that"s why the Love making people late for work and something to laugh about with the other Drivers

Drivers don't laugh with each other for you being late, don't worry! And they do get punished if they can't explain why they missed a time point, or go to fast, or break too suddenly, I could go on, but if you think it's a walk in the park, go become a bus driver, they are recriting!

What's the deal with the 120 pretty much only ever going to Ranmoor during the day now?

I had to wait 45 minutes for one that went all the way to Fulwood the other week, whilst 3 or 4 120's that only went as far as Ranmoor went past...

Bus fares have just gone up,but the Service we get from First is totally useless in Trust,Use to the 56 or 1A at Newfield Green for 5.06 am for 56 and 5.10 a.m for 1A,but now the 56 as gone,the 1A never gets to Newfield Green for 5.10 a.m with more passengers filling the Bus,suppose to leave town at 5.26 a.m but never makes it on time now,so then the 1A is supposed to be at Ecclesfield for 5.50 a.m but never makes it on time,so making loads of people late for work,Why? can"t something be done it Improve Bus times in Sheffield because there is no use ringing up and complaining because nothing get done,as First always come out with Silly excuses,like the Shortage of Drivers

I have a distinct feeling of déja vu reading this post!😀

Can’t blame the traffic at that time in a morning.