Why do buses have Timetables if they aren't going to stick to them?

I understand that point....but why do bus users care about that? They just want a cheap and easy service. Stagecoach and First are huge companies making a fortune- no traveller has any sympathy for them.

Bus users don't care about how things run- if the service is bad and too expensive they'll go elsewhere. Surely that's just logical?

Sorry but they are businesses and like most are answerable to shareholders. I actually feel for them as it's hard for them to make as much profit as previously. And remember of they don't make big profits share holders will not invest and so new buses will not be purchased. Look at first for this

Publicly listed companies don't get money when shares change hand. They'd have to issue new shares to get money from shareholders.

---------- Post added 24-07-2018 at 19:21 ----------

I understand that point....but why do bus users care about that? They just want a cheap and easy service. Stagecoach and First are huge companies making a fortune- no traveller has any sympathy for them.

Bus users don't care about how things run- if the service is bad and too expensive they'll go elsewhere. Surely that's just logical?

What profit did First make last year?

Publicly listed companies don't get money when shares change hand. They'd have to issue new shares to get money from shareholders.

---------- Post added 24-07-2018 at 19:21 ----------

What profit did First make last year?

They had an operating income of £286 million anf a net income of £116 million.

Not sure we need to worry too much about their finances!

Worth thinking about when they hike up the fares though.....

To put that in perspective, profit was 8.1% on revenue with an effective tax rate of 26% for 2017.

Hardly raking it in are they. Is that making a fortune? Because to me it looks like making a perfectly reasonable return, a fair profit for the turnover and money invested in the business.

First BUS made £37 million, at a return of 4.3% on revenue.

To put that in perspective, profit was 8.1% on revenue with an effective tax rate of 26% for 2017.

Hardly raking it in are they. Is that making a fortune? Because to me it looks like making a perfectly reasonable return, a fair profit for the turnover and money invested in the business.

First BUS made £37 million, at a return of 4.3% on revenue.

I think our definitions of 'fortune' may differ! It appears to me that, yes, they are doing pretty well!

People don't care though- they just want a good cheap service. If buses are no longer capable of that as a buisness model, for whatever reason, then they will be in termibal decline as they lose customers to rival forms of transport .

I think our definitions of 'fortune' may differ! It appears to me that, yes, they are doing pretty well!

People don't care though- they just want a good cheap service.

That requires subsidy from local or national taxation - seems to work very well in most European cities I've visited.

People don't care though- they just want a good cheap service. If buses are no longer capable of that as a buisness model, for whatever reason, then they will be in termibal decline as they lose customers to rival forms of transport .

Personally I care! I'm not bothered about it being cheap when I use them, what I care about is a modern clean vehicle that is safe and reliable (I.e to arrive. I fully get they maybe they run late but as long as they turn up that's fine). Look between First and Stagecoach and there is one clear winner here! I don't mind paying more for this

Obviously people are cost sensitive, particularly those who use the bus when alternatives exist.

So for example if there's a choice between the bus and the tram, cost and/or speed is likely to be the differentiating factor for people.

If cost wasn't an issue then you'd use a taxi surely? I know I do. I could often get the tram home on a Friday night after drinks, but I very rarely do, a taxi costs about 3 times as much, but it's quicker, private and direct to my door.

Safety is also a concern of course, but it's a bit like Maslow's hierarchy of needs for public transport, once the safety aspect has been achieved then cost becomes an issue.

---------- Post added 25-07-2018 at 10:05 ----------

That requires subsidy from local or national taxation - seems to work very well in most European cities I've visited.

London transport is heavily subsidised, don't expect a London based, south focussed government to do the same for anything north of the watford gap though.

Obviously people are cost sensitive, particularly those who use the bus when alternatives exist.

So for example if there's a choice between the bus and the tram, cost and/or speed is likely to be the differentiating factor for people.

If cost wasn't an issue then you'd use a taxi surely? I know I do. I could often get the tram home on a Friday night after drinks, but I very rarely do, a taxi costs about 3 times as much, but it's quicker, private and direct to my door.

Safety is also a concern of course, but it's a bit like Maslow's hierarchy of needs for public transport, once the safety aspect has been achieved then cost becomes an issue.

---------- Post added 25-07-2018 at 10:05 ----------

London transport is heavily subsidised, don't expect a London based, south focussed government to do the same for anything north of the watford gap though.

Exactly. And if there's 3 of you travelling....then Taxi becomes the same price. so there's no competition.

London Transport is fantastic, but as you say, we're in the North and seem not to 'deserve' a network of that quality.

.Oh, and the new craze of pressing the bell ….. then only when the bus has stopped …… strolling from the rear upstairs seat, down the stairs (gently) and off the bus as slowly as possible.

I was always lead to believe that that is what the bell is for, so you can remain seated and let the driver know your intentions to get off. Some bus companies even post signs to advising to do so.

Arriva Southend Dennis Dart / Plaxton Pointer 3387 (P257 FPK) - passenger safety poster

Advisory, not compulsory.

Edited by mad-dad

London Transport is fantastic, but as you say, we're in the North and seem not to 'deserve' a network of that quality.

Don't forget that Greater London has a population of over 8 million, so they can sustain a high quality public transport network.

Also, as has been mentioned, London does get five times more per capita transport funding from the government than we do in Yorkshire: https://www.ippr.org/news-and-media/press-releases/new-transport-figures-reveal-north-to-receive-indefensible-2-555-less-per-person-than-london