Spice in Sheffield.

A drug is a substance that has a physiological effect on your body when you take it; in other words it changes the way your body (and brain) works.

The definition needs to include the exclusion of food, nutrients and water.

The definition needs to include the exclusion of food, nutrients and water.

The definition excludes nutrients of essential dietary requirements already.

Alcoholic drinks are not essential. Just because the usual means of consuption is to ingest it, brewed in with other ingredients no more excludes it from being a psychoactive drug than would consuming hash coffee* just because the hashish has been mixed in and ingested by drinking

Alcohol is a drug. An illegal drug in some parts of the world. And there is an argument that it would be classified as an illegal drug if it had only recently been discovered and manufactured but it is historically part of our culture. That doesn't make it "not a drug", just one that is considered "socially acceptable"

*Caffeine too is a psychoactive drug

Edited by Squiggs

If the real cannabis was legalised we wouldn’t have had spice being created would we? :rolleyes:

The war on drugs was lost a long time ago.....

But it has been created so it's use will not be halted by legalising any other drug, spice is here to stay pal.

Unless they're alcoholics, then calling them junkies is ridiculous. It would be more accurate to call them drug users.

---------- Post added 22-07-2018 at 07:30 ----------

A drug is a substance that has a physiological effect on your body when you take it; in other words it changes the way your body (and brain) works.

Alcohol is therefore a drug.

Always nice to be educated on SF. It's a mine of useful information at times. Old Angel a druggie all his life then apparently.

Angel1.

The definition excludes nutrients of essential dietary requirements already.

What "already"?

There many different definitions of the term and I was referring to Halibut's which would be incorrect without the exclusion qualifier.

the sale of spice should if its not already be classed as high class a drugs and the sellers deserve long prison sentences,but it seems our jails are full of the stuff.

What "already"?

There many different definitions of the term and I was referring to Halibut's which would be incorrect without the exclusion qualifier.

The official one not the sheffield forum chatter one

Spice is a big problem in Newcastle, I can’t understand why people start to use drugs in the first place. Is it to make them feel better, to fit in with their friends or just experimenting, which then leads to an addiction?

Cannabis, no I don’t think it should be made legal to buy over the counter, but as a prescription drug to treat multiple sclerosis and other long term pain conditions, then that is up to Government if they think in will help these people.

Always nice to be educated on SF. It's a mine of useful information at times. Old Angel a druggie all his life then apparently.

Angel1.

Why is druggie such prejoritive term for you?

We almost all use recreational drugs of one description or another. Most of us do it relatively harmlessly but some people end up addicted and victims. I don't think labelling and looking down on these people helps other than to vent.

As a society we need to find out the best way to deal with this. Prohibition isn't the answer and has failed spectacularly.

Why is druggie such prejoritive term for you?

We almost all use recreational drugs of one description or another. Most of us do it relatively harmlessly but some people end up addicted and victims. I don't think labelling and looking down on these people helps other than to vent.

As a society we need to find out the best way to deal with this. Prohibition isn't the answer and has failed spectacularly.

Yes we all take drugs (I'm a fan of the drug caffeine). However druggie means a particular type of person. One that is not only addicted but in a downward spiral such as those in a zombie like state in our great city. I wouldn't say someone who likes a coffee a beer or a cigarette is a druggie but I would say that a spice head is one.

Yes we all take drugs (I'm a fan of the drug caffeine). However druggie means a particular type of person. One that is not only addicted but in a downward spiral such as those in a zombie like state in our great city. I wouldn't say someone who likes a coffee a beer or a cigarette is a druggie but I would say that a spice head is one.

Totally agree with you.

It's unhelpful however you explain it. People with addictions come in all shapes, sizes and social classes - and they're people first and foremost. They need help and understanding. Using perjorative terms like 'druggie' stands in the way of people recognising them as people and offering the help and support they need.