Parking and Neighbours

You are in a no win situation as everyone thinks that they are good neighbours and in so being are in the right all of the time.

Car parking

Children playing

Garden fires and barbecues

Music

Trees and hedges

Parties

Reasonable access for repairs

Etc, etc

Whatever the dispute rest assured that the complainant will be 100% in the right and you will be 100% in the wrong.

:lol: people park too close to our driveway, and opposite it - we live on a narrow walkley road - with parking spaces like rocking horse poo I can understand the need to densely pack the cars - what I don't understand is that sometimes i can't get my car onto the driveway, adding another car to the road!! :confused: why? when for a bit of thought the driveway could be useable? lol

Emmie, you should do what we do, ours is a forcourt/ parking for three houses

If people are parked in our allocated spaces we simply park the car right over them, so they cant get out. they soon get the hint.

:hihi:

Maybe I should try that...we have a car park for the block of flats I live in. On (wedensday) match days it seems the football fans decide it's fair game despite warning notices of clamping etc.

Well I can only hope the new enforcement company are worth their fee...

I've got the choice of two cul-de-sacs to park on, and when I first moved in one of our neighbours pointed out that he had painted lines on the kerb and asked us not to park within them as it made it harder for him to reverse out of his garage. My ex- used to dutifully comply whereas I just parked where I could and if it was in or around his precious lines, so be it (they had no legal standing in any case). When the ex- left suddenly and unexpectedly, he collared me as I was getting into my car and asked me again. I wasn't in the best mood and told him in no uncertain terms that I parked where I could and would continue to do so. I didn't shout or swear, but made my point firmly and he hasn't mentioned it since. Nowadays I can't be bothered to park there in any case as it's narrow and involves much more hard work turning the car round every day.

I look at it this way; my car is paid for, taxed, tested and insured (which let's face it is more than can be said for some cars). All of which means I can park pretty much where the hell I like so long as it's legal to do so. The fact that I don't obstruct others, park illegally, bounce up and down off kerbs and take the time to park properly instead of just abandoning my car in a supermarket space or at the roadside, is 100% to do with preserving my vehicle and not attracting dinks and scratches that I then have to pay for, and bugger-all to do with anyone else's convenience.

I've got the choice of two cul-de-sacs to park on, and when I first moved in one of our neighbours pointed out that he had painted lines on the kerb and asked us not to park within them as it made it harder for him to reverse out of his garage. My ex- used to dutifully comply whereas I just parked where I could and if it was in or around his precious lines, so be it (they had no legal standing in any case).

I look at it this way; my car is paid for, taxed, tested and insured (which let's face it is more than can be said for some cars). All of which means I can park pretty much where the hell I like so long as it's legal to do so. The fact that I don't obstruct others, park illegally, bounce up and down off kerbs and take the time to park properly instead of just abandoning my car in a supermarket space or at the roadside, is 100% to do with preserving my vehicle and not attracting dinks and scratches that I then have to pay for, and bugger-all to do with anyone else's convenience.

You're a nice person, aren't you?:loopy:

I'm a lovely person, but when it comes to my car which I bought with hard-earned cash, I look after Numero Uno. If I parked badly and someone dinked my car as a result, that would be my fault so why would I do it in the first place? That was my point.

And what my neighbour was asking me to do had no legal standing thereofre I was not under any obligation at any time to comply with his request. If there was plenty of room, fine, but if it was the last space on the road, it was mine. Quite a simple equation really. His excuse was that his car didn't have power-steering. Well, mine doesn;t either.

I'm a lovely person, but when it comes to my car which I bought with hard-earned cash, I look after Numero Uno. If I parked badly and someone dinked my car as a result, that would be my fault so why would I do it in the first place? That was my point.

And what my neighbour was asking me to do had no legal standing thereofre I was not under any obligation at any time to comply with his request. If there was plenty of room, fine, but if it was the last space on the road, it was mine. Quite a simple equation really. His excuse was that his car didn't have power-steering. Well, mine doesn;t either.

Strange logic. You say that you don't park inconsiderately so no one damages your car. You also say that your neigbour finds it difficult to reverse out of his garage if you park between his lines. So what if he collides with your car because you can't comply with his civil and polite request?

If there is space outside your house when you arrive but you choose to park outside someone else’s house then people are likely to ask why. However, if there’s no room outside your house then park as close as you can. It’s good manners to move your car to your house when space becomes available, especially if it’s likely to be unused for a number of days.

Well fair enough if it was parked well away from my house I'd move it closer when I could for convenience. But I wouldn't run out as soon as there was a space, and I wouldn't bother at all if it was reasonably close to my house (20 metres or so).

I've noticed one of my neighbours does run out to shift the car closer to his house all the time, I hadn't thought for a moment he thought it was good manners - I just thought he was a bit of a nutter.

made difficult is just tough really, but if you made it so difficult it wasn't practical then you were obstructing his access.

The council will come and paint an H on the road in front of access points if you ask them, still no legal standing, but if it's done then a warden/policeman is more likely to issue a ticket for obstructing the access.

Clearly I also need to clarify that I didn't park bang outside my neighbour's garage but across the road from it, so I wasn't obstructing it at any point in time.

From personal experience on our narrow road we find it very difficult if people park too close to the entrance, and opposite. Getting in and out of our driveway can involve a 3 point or more turn.

As a result we often park a car outside the house, around 6/8 feet from the side of the gate. I was a more than a little annoyed when the Smart Car parked in the non existent gap, making the entrance totally inaccessible! :mad:

When you have a little experience you do make a bit more effort for others. :)

We do the same thing Tony, park our 2nd car half a cars width from one side of the driveway, thus giving me room to get out.

Then some idiot parks in the half a space which means they are 3 foot infront of my drive. That's when 2202020 comes in handy.