Arthur Nyman Jewish Master Tailor

Hi does anyone remember Arthur Nyman the Jewish Tailor, he was in Sheffield during the mid 1930s, a friend of Margaret Holmes.

I believe he was still working in the sixties possibly on the moor as a master tailor.

Hi does anyone remember Arthur Nyman the Jewish Tailor, he was in Sheffield during the mid 1930s, a friend of Margaret Holmes.

I believe he was still working in the sixties possibly on the moor as a master tailor.

There was an Isadore Newman on the Moor in the sixties ,his shop was some where around where Sainsbury's now stand .

Thanks Albert, Ive heard of Isadore Newman and Nyman is a spelling variation. But wonder if he had another member of the family called Arthur.

All the best Simon

Thanks Albert, Ive heard of Isadore Newman and Nyman is a spelling variation. But wonder if he had another member of the family called Arthur.

All the best Simon

I once had a suit from Isadore ,big mistake after being a Barney Goodman customer ,Barney made me look like a film star ,Isadore did the same only the star in question that time was Norman Wisdom:hihi:

I once had a suit from Isadore ,big mistake after being a Barney Goodman customer ,Barney made me look like a film star ,Isadore did the same only the star in question that time was Norman Wisdom:hihi:

Ah, yet another victim of Barney’s Charles Atlas shoulder pads. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

went to yewish tailor in 60 s up york st side of star been to them all but that is the best suit ive everhad cant remember is name

topcater,his name was Wilf Lyons he was a customer of mine a really nice man who lived at Rutland Park opposite the Botanical Gardens.

went to yewish tailor in 60 s up york st side of star been to them all but that is the best suit ive everhad cant remember is name

Wilf Lyons. Ashley Wilks who has the wedding shop at the Manor Top worked for him at around 1960 ish.

Never had a suit from Isidore but some from Barney and also Bill Mackley on Corporation St. Once tried the tailor on the corner of Peace Gardens and Pinstone St, facing the Town Hall but can't recall his name at all.

Never had a suit from Isidore but some from Barney and also Bill Mackley on Corporation St. Once tried the tailor on the corner of Peace Gardens and Pinstone St, facing the Town Hall but can't recall his name at all.

Levie the taylor had a shop around there ,Fred was his cutter ,he copied Barney suits to a T.

There was a tailor up London road  m Newman closed in 80s  I once went in ted Williams  in 60s  he wanted 5£ to hand stitch around collar and pockets  no chance.  None off the tailors who were any good charged for that . And I went to most off them   Nothing worth having in Sheffield now .  And most off smart men in town all gone  . 

On 17/07/2018 at 09:05, Albert smith said:

Levie the taylor had a shop around there ,Fred was his cutter ,he copied Barney suits to a T.

Across from back off peace gardens was mapin web buildings on top floor was where furnace and duke started tailoring in early 60s . Fred duke did measuring Cyril furnace was cutter . My first suit off them62 double breasted suit was £22 . I had Reid and Taylor 3piece in 64 for my 21st birthday cost £33  think off what you could buy for that Money then .   Beer 1shilling and three old pence a pint  10park drive about same money bus fare  3old pence  labouring on building sites 4shillings And10 old pence per hour. Brought home  around. £10 16shillings  could go out with 10shillings  I went out 5times a week .well all our yesterdays .