Bins they are a'changin

Where I live, we have:

1 blue bag for plastics/cans (sometimes it doesn't get collected if you put the wrong plastic in - or that may be just the jobsworth ashman working that day)

1 orange bag for cardboard

1 white bag for paper

1 black plastic bucket for bottle/jars

A small brown food caddy for the kitchen which gets emptied in to a larger lockable brown caddy to go outside

A supply of binbags for general waste

We have to pay extra if we want gardening waste removed (we just go to the tip)

Recycling is collected every week, general waste every fortnight (though this may change - they trialled a 4 week collection last year and it was widely unpopular)

Waste has to be out before 7 in the morning, but they don't want you to put it out overnight!!!!!

Luckily, we have a large utility to store the bags in, a friend of mine has one of those plastic bunkers outside to put her waste bags in...

It actually works quite well!! :)

All you guys complaining about the wages of the bin lads do any of you know what there on per hour. ? Not as much as you think. Most of you guys wouldn't do the job and I think they should be getting extra per hour just on that fact. And yes I have worked on the bins as a driver and yes it is much easier than the old days and is a lot quicker bear in mind 1 team will empty well 1500 bins a day which is a lot of houses.

As for who pays for the bins. Its the wages of the bin men I have more of an issue with. What do they exactly do. Put a bin on a machine that lifts it up and empties it.

We are the poor so and so's that do the hard work lugging it down the garden path. They never had a pay cut when they stopped doing that yet we do half their job for them.

Thats a pretty appalling comment. Maybe by us wheeling our bins to the pavement then bin men can empty more bis in a day than they ever did. Is lugging your bin down your garden path really so difficult? I reckon those who are unable to do so get theres done for them.

---------- Post added 04-08-2018 at 15:59 ----------

And yes I have worked on the bins as a driver

Ive always been interested in how they get their role as driver, do they take it in turns or is the driver always the driver. Must be easier than having to be on foot. Maybe its a time served position?

Ive always been interested in how they get their role as driver, do they take it in turns or is the driver always the driver. Must be easier than having to be on foot. Maybe its a time served position?

I don't think you can drive a Bin lorry on a car license. No doubt the drivers will be paid in line with the wages of a driver with the required qualifications.

I don't think you can drive a Bin lorry on a car license. No doubt the drivers will be paid in line with the wages of a driver with the required qualifications.

you can't

a typical bin wagon is a Cat C Large goods vehicle , the drivers are paid in line with local rates for cat C or if there is a proper JE scheme based on what the JE says for the role ...

Driving the bin wagon requires a lot of attention you have to be aware of where the loaders are and position wagon where they are also driving down tight roads with inches on either side requires a lot of attention. You are the only person in the team to drive the wagon all the time and have the same guys every day.

---------- Post added 05-08-2018 at 23:19 ----------

You have to have a class 2 licence to drive 32 tonnes

---------- Post added 05-08-2018 at 23:24 ----------

Thats a pretty appalling comment. Maybe by us wheeling our bins to the pavement then bin men can empty more bis in a day than they ever did. Is lugging your bin down your garden path really so difficult? I reckon those who are unable to do so get theres done for them.

---------- Post added 04-08-2018 at 15:59 ----------

Also there is a computer in the cab which you have to mark off end of every street and there marked as assists for the disabled and elderly. Which you notify the Loaders of and you collect and deliver to where the residents choose to have there bins even if it's in there back garden. More to the job than people think.

Edited by glyn75

Another bin to add to the eyesore line of bins and the chase down the road to retrieve my own bin but possibly these won't be thrown about like the blue box which regularly get damaged.

I'm delivering the new brown bins at the moment and we deliver about 850 a day we build them up as we go along.we get residents taking the frustrations out on us over them being issued and isnt really fair on us. There are to replace the small blue boxes and comes into affect in September.

I’m pleased the small blue box for paper & card is being replaced with a larger brown bin.

I’m NOT pleased that blue and brown bins will now be collected once every four weeks, since I already fill the blue bin after two weeks.

How am I supposed to manage an additional fortnight without a recycling collection ?

I know, I’ll throw it all in the black bin instead !

Great environmental decision there, Sheffield city council :thumbsup:

I'm delivering the new brown bins at the moment and we deliver about 850 a day we build them up as we go along.we get residents taking the frustrations out on us over them being issued and isnt really fair on us. There are to replace the small blue boxes and comes into affect in September.

Sorry you're getting the grief when its the council that made the decision. Terraced house owner here tiny back yard no front garden so no idea where the big ugly new bin is going to stay - its a pointless option for us because we used our blue box for cans and bottles because we dont accumulate that many. What we desperately WOULD have used a larger bin for, is paper and cardboard- whether we like it or not, we get loads of packaging on goods and moving this one emptying a month will be a backaward step. A pity we cannot choose to use the brown bin for paper and get rid of the blue bin instead.

How am I supposed to manage an additional fortnight without a recycling collection ?

Today's society uses far too much packaging - you could try to find equivalent products with less / smaller / compressible packaging.

I’m pleased the small blue box for paper & card is being replaced with a larger brown bin.

I’m NOT pleased that blue and brown bins will now be collected once every four weeks, since I already fill the blue bin after two weeks.

Tins, plastics, glass: Brown bin is about twice the capacity of the blue bin, so in effect no change, apart from it'll smell a bit worse at the end of 4 weeks as opposed to 2.

Paper and card collection: Blue bin rather than blue box is bigger capacity but maybe not quite twice the size so possibly this is worse. But it's about the same if blue bin is twice as big as box. You can also stack extra card and paper next to it (as before).