Bins they are a'changin

24 minutes ago, WasThatWise said:

Aren’t blue bins more than twice the capacity of the blue crates?

Maybe so ...but was filling the blue bin when it was once a fournight ...

26 minutes ago, WasThatWise said:

No, nowhere near. Besides, we used to use the crate for plastics and glass and the blue bin for paper and card, as you could choose. Effectively our paper collection is halved. As it's full after 2 weeks it causes a big problem. Meanwhile the brown bin gets about a third full after a whole month.

4 hours ago, WasThatWise said:

We always used the blue bin for paper and card and filled it in 2 weeks - the blue box had plastic bottles, tins and glass bottles and was never full

On 12/26/2018 at 9:52 PM, katekate said:

Really fed up of over flowing bins, just don't know where the rubbish comes from.  Household of 6 and there's never enough room in any of the bins. 

When I complained they said households with 6 or more can have additional support, not sure what that is but it may be worth contacting them

1 hour ago, sean344 said:

When I complained they said households with 6 or more can have additional support, not sure what that is but it may be worth contacting them

I think it means they get a larger black bin. Based on who has the larger black bins on my road, some artistic licence with how large your household is seems to go a long way.

Neither my blue bin or brown bin are big enough, both are overflowing after about 10 days. Surplus paper goes in the black bin.

It helps to remove the tops of plastic bottles & cartons so I can stand in the bin and squash it all down, but removing the tops means the bin smells.

1 hour ago, WarPig said:

Neither my blue bin or brown bin are big enough, both are overflowing after about 10 days. Surplus paper goes in the black bin.

It helps to remove the tops of plastic bottles & cartons so I can stand in the bin and squash it all down, but removing the tops means the bin smells.

Remove plastic top.

Squash plastic bottle.

Replace plastic top.

Place in brown bin.

Yea but the neck on plastic milk bottles often bends when you crush it down, the top then won't go back on.

Mind you I've never noticed the bin being particularly smelly when the lid is down?

On 12/28/2018 at 8:53 AM, WiseOwl182 said:

I think it means they get a larger black bin. Based on who has the larger black bins on my road, some artistic licence with how large your household is seems to go a long way.

My neighbours used to have a comically small black bin, like half the size of other peoples.

Do the council send such silly small ones if you tell them only 2 people live at the address?

I think you can ask for the smaller one.

It's probably some kind of brag. 'Hey, look at us, we're so eco friendly and recycle so much we only need a tiny black bin".

Hi,

The council wont give me a small brown wheely bin as they say the costs involved are too great but said I can use one if I provide it myself.

Has anyone any idea where I can get one for nothing?

Cheers, Si.

Would be interested in getting one too. we have nowhere sheltered to store the current large brown one and it repeatedly gets blown onto the road in high winds, spreading bottles and cans everywhere. As well as being inconvenient, it is potentially quite dangerous.

I added this as a note when we requested a replacement bin when the lid got broken off a couple of weeks ago, but have had no response from the council/Veolia.